Talk

Advanced search

This is very very shallow of me, I don't respect myself but Amal Clooney, has she eaten anything since last year?

(94 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Wed 01-Jul-15 14:12:52

There is something horrible the way she was catapulted into fame, it must be shocking and you can forgive her wanting to look her best, but oh lordy she looks tiny now.

She was fine just being gorgeous and brilliant and selfish old George had to acquire her for his greater glory. I have a lot of respect for her but I wish our society didn't make women feel this kind of pressure.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 04-Jul-15 09:59:59

She is so thin.
I'd love to have her will power.

Corygal Sat 04-Jul-15 10:08:51

She's got that sinewy creepy look that you just know IRL would make you retch a tiny bit.

Poor woman, honestly - she's got enough in her life without having to shrink herself to the size of a Borrower. But hey, that's being a girl for you.

Bexicles Sat 04-Jul-15 10:13:23

More skinny shaming? Really? It's every bloody week.

usualsuspect333 Sat 04-Jul-15 10:16:59

Maybe she's naturally slim. Some people are.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jul-15 10:24:28

She's naturally slim. She's not naturally skinny - if the before and after pictures are anything to go by. Big difference. Far too much pressure on women to be stick thin.

sticks2 Sat 04-Jul-15 10:27:23

It's not shallow.

She is way too thin and a terrible example to women, especially young women and girls.

It's about time women stopped envying celebs/models etc who starve themselves (and worse) to be thin.

It would be wonderful if women could be what they are (slim or fat) and who they are and celebrate it. (if only the media/film world would stop putting up skinny women as shining examples)

HuftysTrain Sat 04-Jul-15 10:33:13

She does look painfully thin. Clearly she haa a very restrictive diet. But then I think most women would quite like to be, if not thin, then very slim if they're honest. Because of that, I think expressing concern for someone else's weight loss is more often than not poorly disguised jealousy. Unless the person has lost weight through illness or is suffering ill effects.

She wants to look like that so I wouldn't worry too much about her.

For an adult I find her weirdly coquettish - isn't she late 30s? She does a lot of skipping around in wacky clothes smirking "coyly" for the camera. I'd find it hard to take her seriously in court.

TheDowagerCuntess Sat 04-Jul-15 10:34:37

I don't think it's 'skinny shaming'; skinny shaming would be being rude and derogative about someone who was naturally, and always, skinny.

Isn't this more about questioning an environment whereby someone who's already enviably slim, feels the need to lose a lot of weight and become much thinner than they were previously, or are naturally?

I do think there is a distinct difference.

bakingaddict Sat 04-Jul-15 10:45:51

She is a grown woman and the choice must lie with her. It seems like she's constantly papped hanging out with some new celebrity friends like Stella McCartney or Anna Wintour. I would have thought she would concentrate on her law career and keep well out of the media but I assume it's due to some long-term campaign to highlight her and George as a celebrity political power couple or something.

TheHormonalHooker Sat 04-Jul-15 10:53:53

Imagine the fucking outrage if someone posted a thread about an overweight celebrity and said "X have they actually stopped eating in the past year?"

I'm a size 6/8. I lost over a stone for no reason and had always been thin. I've been in bed for 7 weeks, not moved a muscle and not put on an ounce. Some people are just like that. It's nice to know you're judging us as non-eaters though! hmm

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jul-15 10:57:07

Oh for heaven's sake - no-one is judging. Although at a size 6/8 you are positively overweight compared to the level of skinny Amal and other slebs are currently sporting.

TheHormonalHooker Sat 04-Jul-15 11:02:55

Of course you're judging, the OP has admitted she's being very, very shallow.

Jaccuse Sat 04-Jul-15 11:07:36

Bursting out of your clothes OP?

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jul-15 11:09:25

I should have made that clearer - I'm not judging someone who is a size 6/8 as an non-eater.

I don't like the intense pressure that women in the media spotlight are under to be super skinny (that's way below a 6/8) - especially when that woman is not naturally that size.

Raasay Sat 04-Jul-15 11:11:13

I find this thread quite distasteful,

We have no idea why she has lost weight (if she has). She may be ill for all you know.

These comments about 'she should concentrate in her legal career and not be getting 'papped' everywhere as shocking.

Do none of you go out for dinner with your friends?

If you do in what way does that impact your careers?

Her husband happens to be a celebrity. It isn't that strange that she has met and become friendly with other people who happen to be celebrities through him.

The photographers no doubt follow her wherever she goes I'm sure keeping out of the limelight would be quite difficult.

Leave the poor woman alone.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jul-15 11:13:09

She may be ill - or she may be under intense pressure to conform to a super skinny body shape. Neither is good.

Jaccuse Sat 04-Jul-15 11:15:09

Or she may be perfectly fucking fine.

SquirrelChaser Sat 04-Jul-15 11:15:21

I have to say that I'm surprised that she is known as Amal Clooney. She is a very successful woman in her own right and I suspect has retained her own name but the media seem hell bent on marking her as George's property. Bizarre.

TerryTheGreenHorse Sat 04-Jul-15 11:16:26

She looks like she is having a lovely time. She is intelligent enough to know she will have got attention for marrying George bloody Clooney.

I'd find someone else to feel sorry for tbh.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jul-15 11:16:26

She may be fucking fine. The pressure on women to be super skinny is not fucking fine though.

TerryTheGreenHorse Sat 04-Jul-15 11:16:53

Her choice squirrel I doubt George had a pistol to her head.

Ubik1 Sat 04-Jul-15 11:17:25

I think being ultra thin is definitely an aspiration of the very rich.

I'm sure she restricts her diet and works out daily in the same way as many extremely wealthy women all over the world.

It's a tough game being hungry all the time.

<sprinkles sugar on another pancake>

Ubik1 Sat 04-Jul-15 11:18:50

Do you remember all those rumours about George being gay?

WorraLiberty Sat 04-Jul-15 11:20:43

If you have a 'lot of respect for her' OP, you certainly aren't showing any by starting this nasty thread.

This is what makes me laugh about MN.

So many people leaping at the chance to body shame people they don't know from Adam.

Yet in another breath, blaming the media and playground bullies for body shaming.

Jeez you couldn't make it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now