Talk

Advanced search

The 1 year anniversary thread of the UMN: we're not fussed about Tinkers or Tailors but we do like Soldiers and Spies

(995 Posts)
PassTheTwiglets Tue 20-Sep-11 14:18:31

Ta-da!

Come on then Lady D, wallop the Champagne over our bow smile

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Sep-11 14:28:05

::hurls champagne bottle at the door::

::misses::

Ah well, let's just neck it, shall we?

Inspired ending to the last thread and brilliant new title.

Well done Twigs!

Now, do you want to see this vid which I think is splendiferous? You need sound and visuals turned to ON and you need to watch carefully. Ready?

Here it is.

PassTheTwiglets Tue 20-Sep-11 14:28:42

Soldier

Spy

Mind you, this one's a bit of a tinker

And this one has a very good tailor

PassTheTwiglets Tue 20-Sep-11 14:31:12

Dammit, dammit, I can't watch now - TwigBoy just said "I think you don't like me anymore because you aren't coming to play with me" blush sad
Will check it out when MissTwigs is home from school - so sorry to not respond now!

OMG, stop press - I watched the first few seconds and he said "are ytou watching Richard Armitage again, Mummy?") shock

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Sep-11 14:33:35

ROFLMBO @ TwigBoy. Bless him, he's got you sussed grin.

Most excellent illustrated posts, btw.

SupermassiveLBD Tue 20-Sep-11 14:35:25

Yummy, ladyD. Even contains horseriding grin

ROFL @ Twigs's pics. that is a very lovely one of Gizzy.

I love the new thread title, btw.

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Sep-11 14:35:48

STOP PRESS!!

That was the wrong vid blush. That was the one I was going to link to as being rather nice until I found this one, which is the correct version.

::brain addled by an excess of Gizzy viewing::

SupermassiveLBD Tue 20-Sep-11 14:38:43

We have actually seen this before, LadyD, but a long time ago and i'd forgotten all about it. Which is a shame, as it's absolutely brilliantly done.

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Sep-11 14:41:34

It is so clever, isn't it? Every single lyric is perfectly juxtaposed with the image and even the rhythm fits with certain scenes. Pure genius!

Russianpony Tue 20-Sep-11 15:01:31

Argh!!! Why do DC get in the way of perfect afternoon viewing???!!!! I'm currently being shot at my DShmm to go back and do more Octonauts jigsaws - all I can think of is whether they should make a film of the Octonauts and whether RA would make a better Captain Barnacles or Kwasi (don't really see him as a Peso??!)grin

Will have to hope that I can creep away later to watch that clip! The colonel is coming home tonight, so my evening viewing will be curtailed tonightsad. Should be happy that DH is home though shouldn't I?!hmmgrin

SupermassiveLBD Tue 20-Sep-11 15:05:59

Maybe you can get him to re-enact some choice soldier boy scenes from Strike Back, RP. grin

TheSmallPrint Tue 20-Sep-11 15:47:38

Hello all, nice gaff you have here Twigster, I am particularly liking your soldier and spy.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 20-Sep-11 15:47:46

::whoosh::

That was the sound of Octonauts references going straight over my head.

Oh yes, RussianPony, you have probably missed the various threads in which some Academicians have been buying clothes for their menfolk, so that they can without their knowledge dress up as Lucas. You have a head start over the rest of us in getting the Colonel to dress in role. Speaking of which

::Puts the Academy Michelangelo in pride of place on the mantelpiece::

::As ever, wonders who's nicked the curtains::

It's sad but true, LadyD, that there are very few research materials in the bibliotheque de Youtube which have not been brought into the Academy for religious intellectual evaluation at some time or another.

SupermassiveLBD Tue 20-Sep-11 15:54:41

Thanks, Maud. The place looks really homey, now, with that there.

Has anyone ever wondered exactly how many threads we have had, so far?

Russianpony Tue 20-Sep-11 16:02:19

Aw Octonauts are great!! I'm sure I can find a Youtube excerpt for you of Captain Barnacles the Polar Bear being all manly and dominant!!grin A perfect role model for Mr A next time around - once he's lost the silly long dwarf hair!!! By the way, is Captain America worth seeing for the Armitage action story-line?grin

I dread to think how many threads there have been - I really didn't think you'd still be going when I hopefully searched out a Spooks thread the other day!!! So glad you are, but I really have to curtail my addiction this time around as it did take over, but then a year ago (has it really been a year already!), Colonel was off in some far distant Southern County for 4 months, so I had all the time in the world including weekends free! This time around, we are with him in a far Southern County and he's home practically every evening and every weekend!! Just not used to this censorship!!!grin But you are right, I shall maybe see if I can get some in action/uniform role play from him (but perhaps I'll wait until the Man Flu has passed! Wonder if i'd have more patience with a certain Mr North if he had man-flu???!. He'd take it like a man and I'd never stray from mopping his fevered brow (or rubbing vicks on him!)).

LadyDamerel Tue 20-Sep-11 16:08:00

There's been 8 threads since I enrolled in June grin.

RP, a few of us went on a study tour to London in the summer and saw CA. The Man's role is very short and sweet and in the first half hour of the film so there was a lot of non-RA action to sit through. The film itself isn't bad if action films are your thang.

PassTheTwiglets Tue 20-Sep-11 16:09:47

LadyD, that vid is fabulous - like Massive, I'd forgotten it too but I think it's now my favourite smile I always loved that song <waves Bobby Darin Greatest Hits CD as proof> I remember us ROFL before about the visual of Allen when he sings about Lucy Brown grin

Pony, my DS is nuts about Octonauts! I think RA'd be a Barnacles, definitely - strong and commanding, yet caring too I'd love to see his Octopod

The problem with playing dress-up is that it's very easy to get caught out. I once referred to a particular shirt as his Porter shirt but covered it up with a cough. My personal favourite though is when I'd bought DrTwigs a new coat the same as Lucas' peacoat and then soon after we watched this scene and he just turned to me and gave me one of those looks as he realised why I'd chosen that one for him smile

PassTheTwiglets Tue 20-Sep-11 16:11:34

Octonauts is on as we speak and it's making me giggle smile

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 20-Sep-11 16:11:57

::Staggers back from the archive::

Well, based on the number of threads in sleb twaddle which have the A word in them and then excluding those which are about one's choice of celebrity ::cough:: dalliance there have been 27. Of course, this may be an underestimate because there may have been entire threads in which he was referred to in code, Spooks-stylee.

TheSmallPrint Tue 20-Sep-11 16:15:20

Twigs I love that coat story, I can just picture it perfectly grin

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 20-Sep-11 16:16:52

Hand over the curtains Smallio!

TheSmallPrint Tue 20-Sep-11 16:18:06

I don't have them - honest guv!

TheSmallPrint Tue 20-Sep-11 16:19:09

< drops parcel by cheese longoo>

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 20-Sep-11 16:19:38

Yeah, right. That's not what our surveillance team say.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 20-Sep-11 16:22:52

Aha. I knew you'd confess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now