Talk

Advanced search

The Phoebe Marlow Academy of Trumpery Novel Writing at the University of Milton Northern

(1001 Posts)
LadyDamerel Thu 28-Jul-11 01:08:45

Welcome to the new faculty.

Selected classes available in:

Running Away
Setting of broken bones
Seafaring lore
Care of Small Boys
Humouring of Dangerous Lunatics

Our patroness is considered rather taking when she is animated

and the Vice Chancellor would like to remind you all of the importance of the wearing of a correctly tied cravat.

DumSpiroSpero Thu 28-Jul-11 06:34:03

Humouring of Dangerous Lunatics

How terribly apt grin!

TheSmallPrint Thu 28-Jul-11 07:12:58

Morning. Lovely new building Lady D although I fear we may need to raise the tone slightly in here so as not to offend our patrons sensibilities.

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 07:18:00

Morning all! Nice new home here - very civilised. Not like that last cave under the mountain with not even a bit of carpet....

Welcome back, Alpha One (though of course the Spooks references last nigth would mean nowt to you!) LOL at those newspaper photos. That first photo - I've no idea who the girl is, let alone whom she is a girlfriend of smile Sorry you didn't get to spot anyone - he is obviously growing his beard saving himself for you.

I have a bit of a head. Decided to crack open a bottle of Chateau Gizzy* last night and as DH was out it's a bit harder to determine half a bottle! A little delicate this morning.

* LadyD, here are the origins of that term I found some on a daytrip to France last year.

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 07:18:30

Go on then, Massive, I'm not stopping you

DumSpiroSpero Thu 28-Jul-11 07:30:58

ROFL @ Mount Gisbourne! Don't mind if I do... grin

I had a dReAm last night - not as interesting as I'd have hoped for wink but it had its moments. Will tell you about it later as am off to B & Q in a minute...again!

Will try and pick up something decorative for our lovely new premises while I'm there smile

DumSpiroSpero Thu 28-Jul-11 07:34:15

BTW - was it Chardonnay you were drinking last night Twigs? I can't touch the stuff (or Chablis) since having DD, which is a pain as it always seems to be one of those that's on offer when I go shopping!

Am into NZ Sauvignon Blanc at the mo!

TheSmallPrint Thu 28-Jul-11 07:47:30

Spiro I thought you said you were off to BBQ, I thought it was a bit keen!

Have you not seen the mount Gizzy wine before Spiro? I thought we had endless jokes about that when it was first presented grin

TheSmallPrint Thu 28-Jul-11 07:50:14

No Chablis?? shock

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 07:53:39

I had a dReAm too and I am blaming YOU, yes YOU, Spiro, for it's utter blandness. What with our talk about wallpaper-stripping, and then I saw you on the wallpaper thread I was on, I dreamed that he came to my house and... plastered the walls for me grin

Yup, Chardonnay. People are very snobbish about Chardonnay but a good Charders is one of life's true pleasures.

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 07:53:59

I like Chablis - I drink like I dress...

DumSpiroSpero Thu 28-Jul-11 07:59:22

I've got nothing against it from a snob POV but after having DD it gave me terrible hangovers and it's now been so long since I've drunk it I don't like the taste any more.

A nice glass of Marlborough Mills Hills, however...

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 08:32:53

I'm sure you know this Spiro, but I did understand that your objection to it was from a taste point of view, not a snob thing! But in general, one here's so many silly things about it - like the invention of the term ABC (Anything But Chardonnay) <rolls eyes>

Anyway, I'm still not talking to you 'cos of the plastering thing smile <pointedly looks in other direction>

Small, I didn't remember the Mount Gisborne thing but giggling at it does sound very us smile

We are off to see Harry Potter tonight - not sure how I will stay awake though! And then tomorrow I am going to the Royal Academy summer exhibition, I can't wait! <waves at Maud> So the end of the week is in sight.

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 09:24:30

Look at these, they're fabulous

LadyDamerel Thu 28-Jul-11 10:16:44

That first photo - I've no idea who the girl is, let alone whom she is a girlfriend of

Nope, nor me. All of the people in those pics walked past my stakeout point and I didn't recognise ANY of them. The Hollyoaks lads were standing next to me at one point and I had no idea they were 'slebs' blush.

LOVE the Chateau Gisbourne - I wonder if anyone has sent a certain Man a bottle could be an appropriate 40th bithday gift.

I am also a hater of Chardonnay, not from a snob POV, just because it's vile grin. NZ Sauvignon Blanc is also my tipple of choice, currently.

Right, must crack on with Batman cake. I think I'll need a guard on the door to keep me on task.

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 10:48:15

Oh that guard photo is quite something. Are his trousers a bit baggier than usual? He looks like he needs feeding, the poor lamb.

Also reminds me that I must get DrTwigs drunk one night so that I can put Guyliner on him... I've still not got round to that...

TheSmallPrint Thu 28-Jul-11 11:41:30

Twigs will you stop looking at the trousers in all the photos! grin

I'm not a chardonnay fan as I don't like the taste but I love Chablis which is odd as are they not made from the same grape <shows ignorance>. I do love a drop of Sancerre, nice and cold...

PassTheTwiglets Thu 28-Jul-11 13:17:10

ROFL at trouser thing grin grin grin I hadn't thought of that but now you come to mention it... !

How can you all dislike Chardonnay, you strange, strange people?!?! Chablis is made from the chardonnay grape, yes. As to why it tastes different, well.... that's a very good point hmm Obviously the oaking has something to do with it (I like 'em so oaky that you can practically stand a spoon up in it) but I'm not sure why they should be so different! Perhaps it's down to the region? (climate and geography can affect the way a grape tastes).

SupermassiveLBD Thu 28-Jul-11 16:27:28

Grr, I have missed all the fun thanks to bleddy RL. Nice new building btw.

Mount Gisborne, eh? I can just picture that being offered to me in some restaurant and being unable to stop myself saying, in a Fenella Fielding voice, ''Oh, yes please !

But dang it's a red and I can't drink anything but while angry

Right, RL beckons again it's worse than Vaisey with its slimy persistence. Back later I hope

SupermassiveLBD Thu 28-Jul-11 16:29:46

PS Oaky = not good for me. i'm a pinot grigio gurl.

Though I won't turn my nose up at a nice rose champers.

DumSpiroSpero Thu 28-Jul-11 19:29:59

Well I am nearly done> My friend picked her DD up this morning and took Miss S back with them for the day, which turned into a sleepover, which had turned into "Mummy I miss you can you pick me up?" so Mr S has walked round the corner to get her. Was the first one other than with grandparents and TBH I was not expecting her to last the night.

Has anyone else been watching 'The One Show? They have had a very earnest lady on talking animatedly about the Victorians love of facial hair and the significance attached to beards as indicators that the wearer is adventurous, strong, mature and potent!!!

How I kept a straight face sitting next to Mr S watching it is anyone's guess! grin

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 28-Jul-11 20:39:53

... the Victorians' love of facial hair and the significance attached to beards as indicators that the wearer is adventurous, strong, mature and potent ...

I have been telling you this for months.

::reaches for smelling salts::

DumSpiroSpero Thu 28-Jul-11 20:41:47

I didn't know whether to thud or ROFL!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 28-Jul-11 20:43:39

::revives somewhat::

Do forgive me. Where are my manners? This is a delightful common room, LadyDamerel. So much more comfortable than Thorin's lair. Shall we put the Michelangelo in its usual place?

SupermassiveLBD Thu 28-Jul-11 20:47:20

I didn't know whether to thud or ROFL!

Why not treat yourself to a bit of both, Spiro?

Thanks, for the artwork, Maud. Nice to see it in its rightful place.

This thread is not accepting new messages.