Talk

Advanced search

Do you really need special sunglasses for skiing?

(7 Posts)
chicaguapa Sat 10-Oct-09 11:47:19

I really struggle to find sunglasses for the summer so wondering whether I really need to get some new ones for skiing? All the ones I can find are a shape I wouldn't wear.

LIZS Sat 10-Oct-09 11:55:41

Ideally they should be strong filtration of glare and uv, and reflective although I do ski in regular prescription ones now. You cna buy relatviely ienxpensively in the resort and have a wider choice.

ninedragons Sat 10-Oct-09 11:57:00

Goggles are better but you definitely need eye protection of some sort. Snow is blinding on a sunny day.

Proper polarised goggles or glasses will help you see the terrain. Without them it's like looking at an overexposed photo, so you can't see the bumps and dips.

Lexilicious Sat 10-Oct-09 12:05:19

Do not skimp on protective ski wear. Don't think of them as 'the sort of shape you'd (not) wear' but a piece of technical equipment as much as skis or boots.

I had a pair of early-90s ski glasses (er, in the early 90s) which were normal specs shape with leather glare guards on the sides, which I thought were unfashionable. I was 13 btw! I took off the guards and got snow blindness in the space of one not particularly sunny day.

It is not just a vision thing, it gives you a minger of a headache, dizzyness, nausea, etc etc. Ruined my holiday. Now I take dark polarised/40% UVA wrap-around glasses for really sunny days and yellow goggles for cold/dull/poor visibility days. By all means wear your normal fashions on the terrace of the piste restaurant!

DadInsteadofMum Wed 14-Oct-09 16:59:53

The shape is because the bright light comes at you from strange angles as it is reflected off the snow which may be below or off to one side -as well as coming out of the sky.

Absolutely with Lex on this, just bear it for a week and protect your eyes properly. The said I also agree with 9dragons in that I prefer goggles when actually skiing (tend to stay of face better when face ends up in snow!).

skihorse Fri 16-Oct-09 09:47:43

chic It really depends where you're going and when. E.g., Alberta in January you'd be better off with goggles so your eyes don't freeze. Italy in March, go for sunnies.

I never ski in sunnies myself as the wind is too strong and it hurts my eyes.

The colour of your lenses do make an enormous difference - but tbh if you're just learning buy something cheap which won't make you feel ripped off. If you decide you like skiing you can splurge at a later date.

chicaguapa Fri 16-Oct-09 19:49:44

Thanks. We're going to Morzine for new year. We'll be doing a fair amount of snow play too as DC won't want to ski all day. Think I will look a bit strange sledging in googles! grin But will wait to have a look around out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now