Talk

Advanced search

Vaujany -Alpe D Heuz -- what is this like for skiing? Thinking of buying flat

(4 Posts)
mulranno Sat 26-Sep-09 10:08:41

Went here in the summer -- loved it so much -- really enjoyed the summer Alpine scenery, weather, activities, lifestyle etc. Vaujany is a small village where we stayed. We re off without the kids in Jan to sample the Skiing...it links to the Grand Rousess and Alpe D Heuz ski region - Deux Alpes not far also. What do real skiers think of the skiing...the resort etc. What reputation does it have from the ski snobs?

LIZS Sat 26-Sep-09 12:28:41

Went to Alpe d'Huez a few years back and really didn't like it as a place. Never got down as far as Vaujany as the runs were slushy enough down to the level of Oz (1350m) Skiing itself is fine if not overly demanding and varied, snowsure at that altitude but not pretty. iirc there are not many runs down to Vaujany (which may not be as snowsure as it is lower adn faces the other way), most are black and it is on the very edge of the large ski area. Check out how long it takes to actually reach the main pistes. I seem to remember most runs were fairly short. It well may have its own local ski area which would suit novices and lower intermediates.

tbh I'd try to visit other resorts before you commit as there are certainly prettier ones with a wider range of skiing.

Lee36 Tue 29-Sep-09 21:49:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lumnag Fri 02-Oct-09 21:39:43

Look very closely at the ski-map for Alpe d'Huez. {danger signs everywhere}
It is one of the most dangerous resorts I have ever been to.
Loads of sheer drops, flimsy netting or none at all! Skiing with my children was not a pleasant experience, even with our private ski instructor.
Having skiied for 30years, I have never seen a resort with such a dangerous terrain. Vaujany a really pretty village,Alp d'Huez however is an example of the worse of French architecture. There are many gorgeous places in the Alps where I would love to have an apartment. Alp d'Huez would be last on the list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now