Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Come on then, help the newbie!

(12 Posts)
LollipopViolet Wed 09-Sep-09 20:17:06

OK, so I've done 3 ski lessons a couple of years ago on the local nylon dry slope hell thing (pain!) and I've decided that when I go back to uni in a fortnight, I want to join the Snowsports Society. They run regular trips to Tamworth Snowdome and then at the end of the year do a ski holiday!

So, what's Tamworth like for lessons?

How does it compare to a dry slope?

What gear do I need to buy at this time? I've got a waterproof coat, a water resistant fleece-coat type thing, and some waterproof trousers.

I'm visually impaired, and found it hard at first, but do you think at a snowdome I'll have problems with glare?

If anyone's had ski lessons at Tamworth as an adult I'd love to hear from you too! (I'm 19, living at home, no DC's yet).

Oooh and how easy is the snowdome to find your way around? I want to make use of the ice rink on these visits too if possible.

Maybe by next year I'll be back asking about real ski holidays lol!

DadInsteadofMum Thu 10-Sep-09 12:15:53

Haven't been to Tamworth for lessons but in terms of the "feel" of the skiing it is much better (and I think easier) than a dry slope.

THe lighting is generally quite subdued so you don't get the glare problem that you do when out on a mountain on a sunny day.

In the ski area it is cold so you need to wrap up, you don't need salopettes but you do need to wrap up warm and the waterproof trousers would be good, if you are going to fall over a lot you will end up damp. You will need gloves and some thick socks to go under the ski boots - for warmth and a bit of padding as the boots they use there are not great for comfort.

It is not that easy to find you way around on your first visit (well I got confused).

skihorse Thu 10-Sep-09 13:35:31

Don't forget your hat - cold ears are no fun! As a newbie you'll want waterproof gloves as ordinary gloves will just soak through and leave you cold.

LollipopViolet Fri 11-Sep-09 19:57:53

Thanks for the advice But I do have to ask, what are salopettes?

Kiwinyc Fri 11-Sep-09 23:02:40

salopettes are more like dungarees in that some have a 'bib' bit at the front and are raised at the back and have braces that go over your shoulders. They're warmer and snow can't go down your back if you fall over...

skifalloverrepeat Mon 14-Sep-09 10:40:20

Snowdomes are good, but the condition of the snow can be a bit miserable.. been to the Manchester one, which was great, and the Milton Keynes one, which was terrible with a huge patch of ice (as in shiny, hard, dangerous) in the middle. Bear in mind that skiing in a snowdome is like scuba diving in a swimming pool.

I did find a good site for beginners that has some good advice about kids skiing too - SkiBeginner. Looks like it's new cos not a lot of resort guides are up yet but advice is sound....

alypaly Tue 15-Sep-09 00:39:01

Chill Factore in Manchester is brilliant for learning and just as a refresher before you go too.Its not too expensive either £18 for 2 hours all in

skihorse Tue 15-Sep-09 12:31:27

Tbh I think learning to ski in a snowdome is just awful. The only good which can come from a snowdome "orientation" lesson is the little things like how to put your boots on, which way around your skis go and how to carry your equipment without knocking someone's head off.

When I go these days I just play in the terrain park - 500m doesn't cut it.

alypaly Tue 15-Sep-09 12:50:07

skihorse ..you sound as if you ski alot...so do i (last 30 years),but just think back to those beginners days...you are completely right about getting used to your equipment but learning the basics of a snow plough for newbies i think is a good confidence builder. Also getting the kids used to puting their own things on is a bonus, as getting kids togged up and ready for ski school is knackering in the morning and really time consuming, when everyone in the group is learning the ropes.

DadInsteadofMum Tue 15-Sep-09 21:09:20

For a frequent skier 500m (or les) doesn't cut it - for a beginner it is terrifying, its not as could as the real thing - but as a learner better to be able to do all the basics rather than wasting the first few days on an expensive holiday learning how to do them.

alypaly Wed 16-Sep-09 00:39:49

DadInsteadofMum totally agree... wastng time on skiing holidays is really annoying.love to get up at the crack of dawn and get the first and last ski lifts...cant wait til this years snow.grin

skifalloverrepeat Wed 16-Sep-09 17:58:17

Agree with alyapaly and DadInstead.. when I look at some of the slopes that terrified me as a beginner... it's hard to remember just how daunting things were. If you can learn to put on your boots and skis, snowplough, turn and stop at a snow dome, you're way ahead.

But it's (thank god) nothing like the real thing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now