Talk

Advanced search

We always end up in Morzine and want to go somewhere different! Ideas please!

(11 Posts)
IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Thu 27-Aug-09 22:55:57

This year we'll be 10 adults and 4 children (from 7 months to 4 years). We want to be really close to ski school and preferably have in house childcare.

Ideally we would be able to fly from Cardiff or Bristol and have a maximum transfer time of 2 hours.

Please tell me that somewhere other than Morzine will fit the bill - much as I like the place I'd like to go somewhere different!

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Fri 28-Aug-09 12:12:00

I forgot to say - preferably a catered chalet!

Nettee Sun 30-Aug-09 10:50:33

The Three Valleys is good - this is where we usually end up though! We went to La Plagne last year which was also good and lots of ski to the door chalets but I did think the pistes were more crowded there.

If you want to fly from Cardiff or Bristol and have a package holiday with in house childcare - Crystal is the way to go imo although you would be looking at a club hotel rather than a chalet. If you have two under two who might fit in a cot then this might be perfect for you with free child places, childcare on the ground floor and ski school just a minute's ski down the hill. Not the cheapest and not everyone on mumsnet likes crystal but we have been with them for the last two years and are going back to the clubhotel downstairs from this this year and think they are fine.

Nettee Sun 30-Aug-09 10:57:11

fly to chambery and the transfer is under 2 hours depending on who else they have to drop off - might be worth a private transfer with the little ones. There is a mumsnet horror story about a half term transfer to this exact place with crystal in 2008 here as well as my write up on how good a time we had.

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Mon 31-Aug-09 21:20:11

Thank you. Just off to read your links!

CaurnieBred Mon 07-Sep-09 00:15:07

Look at La Tania. Ski Beat, Le Ski and Family Friendly Skiing all have chalets with in house childcare there. Not sure if they do flights from Bristol or Cardiff though.

alypaly Tue 08-Sep-09 13:45:27

La plagne is brilliant,it has got skiing for every ability and good quality equipment. It has some lovely restaurants and self catering chalets. We ( another family and i ) split the cost of a ticket and took a nanny with us...it was brilliant. She used to meet us at the top lift for lunch with the babes and they got the fresh air and the sunshine too... they slept soundly at night too!

alypaly Tue 08-Sep-09 13:46:15

you can ski in and out of some of the catered chalets and also the self catering appts in La plagne

WibblingDad Fri 11-Sep-09 12:44:48

If you only want a slight change of scenery you could try Les Gets just up the road from Morzine?

Alternatively Samoens often gets overlooked - close to Morzine in a straight line but plugs into the Flaine ski area. Not 100% sure there are any firms that do childcare there though.

Three Valleys is good and in Reberty Village (Les Menuires) both Ski Famille (ahem, me!) and Family Ski Company have catered chalets with childcare.

Makbule Thu 14-Jul-11 12:36:42

This article may be useful for you : http://sunslushandmedicalbills.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/new-kids-on-the-block-my-pick-of-up-and-coming-ski-resorts/

It mentions some new, up and coming resorts which might be fun for your family.

greybacksgirl Fri 15-Jul-11 11:53:22

snowbizz could do it for you - the catering would be in a restaurant in the appartment block (which you can book for a week).
it is a small resort, but it fab, and you could probably arrange taxis to serre chevalier if you were so inclined.(it has also been very snowsure in the past)

the appartment block ski school and creche are in the same buidling at the bottom of the main lift. they fly from london and manchester, if that would fit with your travelling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now