Talk

Advanced search

Tell us where to go!

(8 Posts)
superdenki Tue 07-Jul-09 15:40:14

Right, you lovely snowy mumsnetters, please can you help? we are looking to go somewhere next year that can accommodate the needs of one intermediate/experienced snowboarder (DH), a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old (so has to be family friendly with stuff to do) and one ex-snowboarder (me) who cant do anything fast and dangerous any more so am looking to try snowshoeing or possibly cross country skiiing.
Any suggestions welcome as it's giving me a headache!

snowmummy Tue 07-Jul-09 15:51:15

Are you going to do any snowboarding?

It sounds like you could do with a resort like Morzine that has a lot going on besides snowboarding/skiing. It will be challenging enough for your DH and you could try other stuff - I know there is snowshoeing and cross country routes and things like paragliding.

Will your 4 year old be skiing?

superdenki Wed 08-Jul-09 12:13:54

hi snowmummy i won't be snowboarding as i had a detached retina last year (in Morzine, funnily enough) so even though it's been fixed I can't really risk falling over and doing anything to jeopardise my eyesight again! but DH will be snowboarding. We thought Morzine was okay but expensive - we got a last minute deal with crystal and were in their hotel on the mountain which was okay, but we'd rather do self catering this time.
fingers crossed the eldest will be able to have lessons so good ski schools are important too.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 08-Jul-09 12:16:26

I would second Morzine - the esf there are excellent too.

If you go for a smaller or purpose built resort then there won't be as much for the non-skiers to do and you'll pay even more of a premium for you food shopping.

BikeRunSki Wed 08-Jul-09 12:53:31

If you can handle the expense and the travelling, then Whistler.

skihorse Sat 18-Jul-09 17:30:23

Whistler is probably out for next season given the Olympics AND El Nino, prices have all taken a hike, it'll be busy and with El Nino predicted - possibly wet & miserable in the village itself.

What about Banff/Lake Louise? There is an absolutely superb childcare facility at Lake Louise which takes babies from 18 days old.

frottie Wed 12-Aug-09 20:03:50

have a look at Flaine in France, we found it perfect for our 5Yr old and 3yr old. we skied in the mornings on decent runs while the children in creche and ski school then had fab afternoons all together. We bought plastic toddler skis for my little girl which were great in getting her used to skis and feeling part of it. Flaine is not the prettiest resort but it has some really good snow sure runs that were perfect for the 4 of us to play around on and then go to restaurants to have cups of hot chocolate after.

There were loads of families there and we went with crystal in Le Totem which has a good creche. (the first time i had left her so i was really nervous - but happy in the end!)

i also found this childrens ski wear shop which has good advice pages on where to go. www.littleskiers.co.uk

also try crystal www.crystal.co.uk as i found their pages on different ski resorts really helpful and you can search for family resorts.

i have been to morzine too and loved it and the transfer was short but it was pre-children so didnt look at it with mummy eyes! good luck!

skifalloverrepeat Wed 16-Sep-09 18:14:17

Just down the road from Morzine, Les Gets, is good for all the things you're after.. poss a bit cheaper too with fewer Brits.

What about La Tania - the whole of Trois Vallees to play in - or Laax where they already have a huge rep for snowboarding and are now making a big play for families and non-skiers? New Rocks resort is swish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now