Advanced search

Who's booked for 09/10 and where are you going?

(44 Posts)
snowmummy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:18:48

We've already booked for next January. We're going to Puy St Vincent with Snowbizz and I can't wait. We never used to book so early, we'd wait and see what the snow conditions were like but with 2 little ones in tow, things aren't so simple these days!

So where are you all going?

blowbroth Fri 03-Jul-09 19:15:50

Hoping to go to Passo Tonale, Italy. We went this year 2 weeks before Easter and the snow was brilliant. We booked really early last year but I am waiting 'til autumn this year as the prices came down considerably and I'm hoping for a bargain!

MrsGuyofGisbourne Fri 03-Jul-09 21:54:50

La Ros...

fourkids Sat 04-Jul-09 20:37:52

credit crunch here rather than the crunch of snow

maybe a late bargain if there are any...

Kiwinyc Sat 04-Jul-09 21:16:32

Very close to booking here, and will probably be Xmas week in Champoluc in Italy with Ski-2. Or maybe Easter... haven't quite decided! Have a 6yo and a 3yo stuck with school holidays dates.

snowmummy Sun 05-Jul-09 17:40:23

Kiwinyc, can you not take the 6yo out of school for a week. We have a 4yo who starts school in September but we are going on our snowboarding hol during term time. Its just so expensive and crowded during school holidays.

fourkids, we were credit crunched last season. We decided not to go and save for next season. Hope you find yourself a late bargain!

MrsGuy, La Ros seems popular with families. Are you going with Ski Esprit? You'll have to let us know how you get on.

Blowbroth, Passo Tonale. I'd like to try there one year. Some friends went years ago and had wonderful snow conditions.

fourkids Sun 05-Jul-09 17:55:20

snowmummy, we've done La Ros with esprit several times -it's unbeatable with children!

bigTillyMint Sun 05-Jul-09 18:02:09

We are staying with our friends again at Feb half-term (I hope!)- DH has booked our flights to Genevea. It's near Les Gets . Morzine/Avoriaz, but we go to a very little-known resort called Praz de Lys. Very French and very cheap. Especially when you're staying with friends!

snowmummy Sun 05-Jul-09 19:15:24

bigTillyMint, we know and love that area very well as we did a season there before the kids were born. We have friends there but tend to go and visit in the summer - its really chilled out in the summer and the kids loved it. We have been back there snowboarding but we want to explore other areas.

Do your friends run a chalet?

Kiwinyc Sun 05-Jul-09 21:01:00

snowmummy - it is v. tempting to take the first week of Jan off to go skiing but in our experience so far Xmas week is not v. busy and we like to go away then even though prices drop drastically after the New Year. 8-)

If you don't like crowds I would avoid Feb half-term in France! And definitely take advantage of holidaying in term times while you can, I don't think I appreciated it enough!

bigTillyMint Mon 06-Jul-09 07:31:14

Oooh, I've never been in summer - I bet it's really pretty.

Our friends live not far from Taninges - they have a big house so we can stay with them. We usually go for about 4 days (though DH and the DC would love to go for longer!) It makes the skiing very affordable grin

Toddmummy Fri 10-Jul-09 09:40:07

we're booked with snowbizz for last week in january. just taking eldest DD so she can get to grips and then the others the season after. I am already so excited, midsummer has gone and winter approaches!
we're not snowboarding any more until the kids can ski on their own, can't face trying to scooch and drag a small person!

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 09:44:56

we're moving to canada in 3 weeks, so i will be skiing the whole season in the rockies. grin

are you envy yet?

tee hee grin

the dcs are beyond excited... and dh thinks all his birthdays have come at once. grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 09:45:32

<now watch me break my leg first run of the season>

snowmummy Fri 10-Jul-09 11:55:03

Madwoman, I certainly am envy!

Can I ask where will you be living, do you have jobs out there? We've thought lots about emigrating but have never quite had the guts to do it!! Good luck to you all.

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 13:09:45

within driving distance of banff wink

we're going out there for 2 years with work, but we've been in the skilled worker immigration queue for a couple of years and have just received our medical requests for immigration, so hopefully will have a decision on our PR application whilst we are there on a temporary basis! grin if it works out, i guess we don't come back lol.

we lived in alberta previously (ds1 was born there), and i have been offered my old job back too, so i have to apply for my spousal work permit now. last time i spent most of the two years we were there pregnant lol, so i'm really looking forward to a couple of seasons where i'm not! grin

snowmummy Fri 10-Jul-09 13:18:53

Driving distance of Banff!! Excellent. We stayed in Banff and snowboarded at Lake Lousie and Sunshine and we loved it. That was before the kids were born but I'd like to take them there one day when they're a bit older.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 10-Jul-09 13:22:21

Ooh Banff envy

We're booked for La Thuile in March, can't wait!

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 13:31:53

we took the dcs at feb half term (on the pretext of looking at new school etc for august) and managed to squeeze in a few days at sunshine, norquay and lake louise. (i looooove lake louise, but this time started to feel quite fondly about sunshine too lol) we put the oldest two in ski school the afternoon we arrived and had a few runs to get our ski legs back (a couple of greens and a few blues). when the dcs came back from ski school they had spent the whole afternoon skiing blacks. shock

i didn't believe them and sent dh to check with the instructor.

they are only 7 and 9 <wail> how am i going to keep up? blush

i fear i may have to get me some go-faster/steeper lessons lol.

or ski with dd2 and let dd1 and ds1 ski with dh. grin

pralinegirl Sat 11-Jul-09 10:59:03

Going to obergurgl with esprit, DH so far ignorant of this.... Fed up waiting to discuss it with him and they were discounting so... But going in jan for 1st time so I hope enough snow/not too cold. Always wanted to try there.

Esprit have really cut down their accommodation this year. Last year we went with them to Belle Plagne - super hotel and resort. Ony slight annoyance was the 2 seatings for dinner.

Yes we are taking DS out of school, am sorry but after his father watched sports day he was totally disgusted by how little they were doing. If he gets a week's exercice, fresh air and family time then super.

snowmummy Sat 11-Jul-09 16:42:34

Hi Pralinegirl,

We're going in January too. We've been away in January a fair few times because its cheaper and we've always had good conditions. Its also quieter which is always nice. We're also taking our son out of school. I really don't think it will do any harm. Like you say a week's fresh air and exercise, and family time is a good thing.

Skimummy Sat 11-Jul-09 21:10:27

We are going to Whistler for two weeks in January...I am very excited after not skiing this year due to DD being too young! Didn't stop DH skiing a week though envy.

May see if there is a last minute deal at Christmas as well...unlikely but you never know!

snowmummy Wed 15-Jul-09 17:19:52

Ooh Whistler is on my 'list'.

We didn't go this year either because the kids were too young - we went 07/08 season when DS was nearly 3 and DD was nearly 1 and it was an absolute disaster!! We skipped this last season so that we could spend more this coming season and I am really excited too - can't wait to be back in the mountains grin

Wheelybug Wed 15-Jul-09 17:29:11


Not sure if we will go next season. Were planning to but DH has been ill with something which effects his balance and co-ordination so we're not sure he'll be able to ski (possibly ever sad) but if we do it'll prob be La Ros.

CaurnieBred Thu 16-Jul-09 10:14:16

Have booked to go to La Tania again with Le Ski as we were very happy with both resort and accommodation last year. Going in January as they were offering free lift passes which made it more affordable. Will have to take DD out of school (first time as she starts in Sep and will just bite the bullet re approval or otherwise - we cannot afford to go in half term). And can't go in our usually preferred month (March) as DD has her first ever ballet/tap show at the end of the month and it would mean missing rehearsals!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: