Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me with regards to Ski school, ski hire and lift pass purchase (worried I may get it all wrong online)

(15 Posts)
tiredemma Sat 06-Sep-08 13:08:11

Is it best to book this all in advance? We are going for new year.

dont have a clue what to do.....

AbbeyA Sat 06-Sep-08 15:13:16

Are you complete beginners going for the first time?
Have you got children going and if so what age?
Are you going as a package deal?
Very often there are special deals if you are a beginner.
I find it easier to book beforehand because it makes it easier on the first day. However if you are a beginner then you probably don't want a full lift pass at the start.They are very expensive.

FabioBadAssCat Sat 06-Sep-08 15:14:37

Oh I was so hoping this was cod.
I will watch thread closely.
(off to Antarctica soon.)

tiredemma Sat 06-Sep-08 17:16:38

We are complete beginners, going with PIL who are experienced.
Boys are 5 and 8
Booked seperately

Should I just look around the web and try different companies?

AbbeyA Sat 06-Sep-08 17:33:34

I have always gone with a package, or once with someone who took a large group. I have found it easier to book in advance because it has all been sorted by a rep on the coach.
I would see if anyone answers who just makes their own arrangements to give advice. If I was going independently I think that I would wait until I arrived.
You don't want to get a full lift pass for the start if you are just on the nursery slopes.
I would wait until you see the options of lessons to see how it fits in with your DSs, you might just want a couple of hours a day.You can always get more, it might be more difficult to get less.

tiredemma Sat 06-Sep-08 17:35:57

thanks for your info!

snorkle Sat 06-Sep-08 17:43:37

Where are you going? When we went with younger children in peak weeks we always booked ski school in advance as they do book up, and especially as complete beginners you'll be a bit stuck without lessons. It's worth doing a little research into the available options first though. Ski passes are usually not worth getting in advance imo. The ski school may advice on what passes you need (may well be cheaper to get a more limited one for first few days or possibly won't need one initially) and if first day is a right off weather wise (or for any other reason) you won't lose out if you don't buy in advance.

tiredemma Sat 06-Sep-08 17:59:06

we are going to zell am see on the 28th of dec.

thanks for that info, its very helpful.

snorkle Sat 06-Sep-08 17:59:49

I have booked ski school independently in Tignes and Argentiere by the way.

snorkle Sat 06-Sep-08 18:01:45

Ah, cross posts. Zell Am Zee is Austria isn't it? I think Austrian ski schools tend to be all day rather than just morning or afternoon. In my opinion that's a good thing for beginners - otherwise you are often left at sea a bit when you are not having a lesson. I would def. try and book in advance.

tiredemma Sat 06-Sep-08 18:02:13

thanks

spicemonster Sat 06-Sep-08 18:02:56

If you're going to have lessons (which I assume you are) the ski school will generally sort out your lift passes for you. Ski hire - I'd speak to your hotel and ditto ski school. They will be able to book stuff for you and quite often have negotiated reasonable rates with a hire shop.

AbbeyA Sat 06-Sep-08 18:13:24

I have always found that you can do mornings only in Austria. I think you need to work around the boys, at that age they will need to be helped to carry the skis to the lesson and help putting them on, someone will also have to meet them-(unless you are putting them in somewhere where they stay all day and the staff do it). I found that my DS needed a lot of help until he got to about 8yrs.Snorkle has good advice about peak times, I hadn't thought of that. The ski school will tell you about passes so there is no hurry on that one. You want to hire skis from near your accomodation or the nursery slopes.

LIZS Sun 07-Sep-08 10:58:17

Checkout the Skischool website here. It looks like you can do am and/or pm . Might be worth prebooking half day lessons as it will be busy and to get the best English speaking instructors. Unlikely to be problem hiring equipment locally and don't buy a lift pass until you have spoken to the skischool there as they may have a cheaper local pass for the beginner lifts only(or even be free). You can then upgrade it if needs be later in the week. hth

DrGeorge Sun 07-Sep-08 19:32:56

We have booked ski rental and lessons on line and had no problems - try the website for the place you are going and there will be links to both ski hire shops and ski schools. Our experience is that these usually let you book online and it is quite straightforward although we have only been to France.

It is very easy to buy the skipasses when you get to the resort so I wouldn't worry too much about this. If you get stuck just head into your Tourist Info place, you'll find someone with perfect English who will guide you through where is best to go. The only thing I can think of to double check is that any lessons you book are English speaking, but when I have used websites to book this has been specified. For the weeks you are going, especially if you want an English speaking instructor I think it would be advisable to book ahead. Try some of the ski websites for recommendations of ski schools - snowheads or wtss often review ski schools for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now