Talk

Advanced search

ski trip with family but childless people too

(10 Posts)
popmum Tue 19-Aug-08 18:41:28

Wondered if anyone had any pointers for our group - we have 2 families with age 2 and age 5 kids (4 in total), older ones will ski. Adults consist of parents plus about 2-3 friends who do not have kids. They NEED a decent bar and some childfree space, we NEED decent childcare.
Been with esprit before and found it a bit overrun with kids - our friends were the only ones ones in the bar come kids tea time and the guy got dirty looks when he sloped down to brekkie on his own (people must have thought he was letting his wife do all the work), plus the bar was not open to the public so bit boring.
Been with crystal to club hotel which was better bar wise/ less kids but childcare not as fab (good though).

Soooo is crystal the best bet for the whole of the group? Anyone been with this type of group with someone else or to specific places with esprit or crystal and had more luck?
Thanks in advance.....!

spicemonster Tue 19-Aug-08 18:47:02

I went skiing with my family this year - 8 adults, one baby (mine who was just over a year), a 7 year old and a 17 year old.

We stayed in a hotel in Meribel where they did kids tea at 6pm and adult dinner at 7.30. I found great babysitting for the kids in the evening (recommended through the hotel), booked ski lessons locally and the bar was clear by 7pm when the kids went to bed. We were really near other bars if anyone wanted to have an early evening/apres ski drink without kids being nearby.

So in summary, I suspect you'd be best booking by yourselves. Or I can tell you where we stayed - it was great

popmum Tue 19-Aug-08 18:50:36

yes please tell me where you stayed!

spicemonster Tue 19-Aug-08 21:00:27

When I say Meribel, I mean Morzine. Sorry blush

We stayed with these people and they were lovely www.alpine-encounters.com/

popmum Wed 20-Aug-08 11:50:31

thanks, looks good - do want somewhere with childcare though.
Anyone else?

MrLSG Wed 20-Aug-08 13:04:53

There are lots of independent childcare companies in Morzine. Just google for childcare morzine and take your pick. Some come to your chalet/hotel, others have their own premises.

Depends how many rooms you need but this is a fab independent chalet.

http://www.chaletpt.com/

Have stayed here before. Sam the owner is lovely, food was great, hot tub was fab. Good skiing in Chamonix with regular free buses up and down the valley.

There are kis clubs in Cham and also in Argentiere. We used the Pingu Club in Argentiere, they did the ski lessons there as well. Only pain if you don't have your own car you will have to take them on the bus to the ski club and they can be crowded - standing room only and would be a hassel with kids maybe. But you could keep their skis and boots at the Pingu club.

www.chaletpt.com/

DrGeorge Fri 22-Aug-08 18:45:14

Have you considered a chalet? I would think if there are 2 families and some friends without kids then you could probably fill a chalet yourselves. We went with Esprit to a chalet in La Rosiere last year and it worked well in a mixed group. Kids had an early tea, there was then a kidsclub in the evening but ours preferred to play in one of the rooms together - they were a bit older and I guess yours would be in bed allowing the adults to eat/drink together from about 8 when the main meal is served. Whilst our chalet was good however there were some complaints about other Esprit chalets in La Rosiere. The village itself was excellent for families and mixed ski groups. Also been to a clubhotel with Crystal which would probably give you more flexibility although you may feel happier in a chalet with the kids in bed nearby than leaving them in the hotel room whilst you eat.

CSLG Mon 25-Aug-08 11:29:33

Hi

We're advertising out chalet apartment in Klosters (in the small ads section)- there is lots there to do for people who don't want to ski. It might be suitable for your group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now