Talk

Advanced search

Dh wants me to ask, where is the best place to go for a family of 5 when only 1 child is skiing and 2 adults can snowboard and wont cost an absolute packet?

(12 Posts)
Nbg Tue 17-Jun-08 12:13:45

Dh and I snowboard but we might not need alot of childcare as we may take it in turns to look after the youngest two.

DD ski's. She has done some lessons at xscape and did more lesson in Austria in March.

I was thinking of going maybe in December next year but I dont think you can get booking information this far in advance.
But if we did go then, dd would be 6, ds1 would be 3 and ds2 would be 2.

Ideally I would love to go to America and dh is quite keen on Canada but would it cost a fortune?
Who are the best people to go with?

newgirl Tue 17-Jun-08 12:28:07

well obviously the further you fly the more expensive the holiday so if you live in the uk, a european package holiday will be the cheapest option i think. Its pretty cold at Dec - have you considered Easter? Its cheaper and warmer and there is plenty of snow if you go to a high resort?

If you plan to change about in the day for childcare then you need to stay in a central location else you will waste time. Tignes is high and central and not as expensive as val disere etc

Nbg Tue 17-Jun-08 12:31:07

Dh ahs been looking at March next year for just him and dd though but he's worried about the amount of snow left.
Having said that, they went to Kitzbuhel in March and the conditions were excellent.

newgirl Tue 17-Jun-08 12:39:15

its fine in march as long as you go over 2000 metres with glacier skiing - there are loads of them - mainly the famous names. The cheaper resorts are lower, which is why they are cheaper

Nbg Tue 17-Jun-08 12:48:58

I'm just looking for hotels in Tignes.
Are there any you recommend?

newgirl Tue 17-Jun-08 17:31:44

we tend to go with mark warner or snoline so you could have a look at their websites?

childfriendly123 Wed 02-Jul-08 11:09:26

Try the following for family ski holidays If you're going to Tignes there's a hotel called the Diva that's child friendly

fairycakequeen Tue 22-Jul-08 14:23:01

Ste Foy in France is at 1550m but the snow conditions tend to be really good because the slopes are south-facing. We did a family holiday this year with premiere neige, had a private nanny so the kids were blissful when they werent bombing down the mountain! as for boarding, ste foy is a lot better than say val or la rosiere because there are no long, flat runs going over the mountain like in other resorts (i have discovered this to my dismay as my husband happily poles along on his skis, and i get very left behind...!). But Ste Foy doesnt have boring runs like this. I think Premiere Neige also has a creche so might be an option for the little ones rather than private nanny? Its also a really small resort so you dont worry about losing the kids!

Volkl Tue 22-Jul-08 14:28:30

You can get over to the US for about the same money as you would to one of the better resorts in Europe, but if its just a week there is the travelling and jet lag that comes with it. Especially with your lo's

There will also be some great deals on holidays for that December now, but you may want to wait right up until you go. Even with 5 of you there are always spaces in one or another resort. And you can then choose to go where the snow is.

beanieb Tue 22-Jul-08 14:29:21

Poland? Tetra mountains.

youcannotbeserious Tue 22-Jul-08 14:31:27

i'd recommend Cervinia.

Cheap, loads to do for families and you can go to switzerland too

drowninginlaundry Tue 22-Jul-08 14:33:19

Croatia or Slovenia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now