Talk

Advanced search

Half Term 2021

(14 Posts)
crosspelican Mon 27-Apr-20 15:40:10

Looking at going skiing in 2021 - just me and two children (husband can't get holiday at that time).

What resorts are easily accessible from the airport where I can stay near supermarkets/restaurants in an Airbnb? I want to book independently.

Looking to spend £3k in total - flights/accommodation/passes/ski hire/lessons. I managed 1k each this year in Spain, but OMG the transfers were a nightmare. Keen to make it a bit easier on myself this year...

We're near beginners and would want to be on the slopes all day and be able to cook for ourselves in the evening.

I want Airbnb just in case DH can join at the last minute.

Where would match all that, do you think?

OP’s posts: |
crosspelican Mon 27-Apr-20 16:44:57

Although that having been said, I have just found a 2.5 hour direct transfer from Toulose to where we went last year, and I can do flights, Airbnb, ski passes, ski hire and lessons for us all for just £2350! Maybe I should just go ahead and book that - I can't imagine doing better than that anywhere!

OP’s posts: |
rookiemere Tue 28-Apr-20 11:36:10

I'd be hesitant to book anything just yet - and normally I love an advance holiday bargain- as I'm not sure how skiing will pan out in the European resorts with Covid-19. I am going to wait and see if the Turin flights come down in price - this year they were expensive to begin with but dropped a lot nearer the time - and go to Montgenevre which has a transfer bus you can book takes about an hour and get some accommodation nearer the time.

massistar Wed 29-Apr-20 15:01:35

I've booked our flights to Turin as got them super cheap with EJ and 99p luggage thrown in. Figured at £250 total for 4 of us it was worth the risk!

Haven't booked accommodation yet though and lots of places are still showing no availability yet.

SkiYetiMagic Fri 01-May-20 18:37:06

If you have booked flights to Turin already I would second Montgenevre as a good option too :-)

massistar Sat 02-May-20 15:34:13

Thanks @SkiYetiMagic .

Can you ski to Italian side from Montgenevre? We prefer Italy to France. Mainly cos DH is Italian but also better coffee, cheaper better food and friendlier people. grin

SkiYetiMagic Sat 02-May-20 16:19:42

Hi @massistar yes you can get there very easily fron Montgenevre as Claviere in Italy pretty much merges in to Montgenevre plus you can also go to Sauze and Claviere in ITA too. There is one area ski pass you can get or you can just get the local pass which also gives you a day in the whole area included (double check its still the case but it was a few years back)

OhCobblers Thu 07-May-20 11:45:37

I know we're all guessing but do we think there's a chance we can ski abroad by Xmas 2020 and is Feb / March 2021 reliable for booking??

So gutted to have lost out on our ski trip this year and keen to get something booked. The travel company I use are charging a lot more already for the same holiday next year (same date) hmm

sleepwhenidie Thu 07-May-20 11:50:27

We have done the same as massistar, booked super cheap EasyJet flights (to Marseille, skiing in Serre Chevalier, close to Montgenevre and Claviere), being aware it is a gamble.

SkiYetiMagic Sat 09-May-20 09:25:45

@ohcobblers so sorry your trip was cancelled it's really gutting.

I am still feeling a bit cautious about Xmas tbh and wil be looking at Feb March time (I prefer skiing this time of year anyway but its longer to wait) .

I'm considering getting some cheap flights now and leaving the transfer booking for the time being and getting a no payment now accomm option to minimise risk on somewhere like Booking.com

I dont think anyone knows what to do really, there are some people in complete denial and some treading cautiously which is probably the best way to go for now but who knows...

Ginfilledcats Mon 18-May-20 14:45:54

I third or maybe 4th montgenevre. I did a season there so let me know if you have any specific questions.

Only one super market (Sherpa) in town, but a fab bakery too! Omg I miss that bakery. Carrefour is down in briancon but if you don't have a car that would be a right nightmare to get to. Though you could get the bus it would take ages.

Restaurants are varied and reasonably priced. Especially if you walk or ski into Italy (Claviere)

Enjoy

Livingthecovidaloca Sun 21-Jun-20 22:40:03

Just booking.com-ed our Andorra hotel for next Feb. Have the option of free cancellation, so I thought it would be nice to have something to look forward to!

TeetotalKoala Mon 27-Jul-20 21:14:23

We went to Rauris. Bus from the airport to Salzburg train station, train to Rauris, taxi to resort. You could also pay for a direct transfer which takes around 45 minutes to an hour.

We went the week before February half term and paid around £4k for two adults and two children. We booked a self catering apartment through HomeAway and it was a five minute walk to both the nursery slope and ski lift and the local supermarket.

We were beginners and did exactly as you said. Spent the whole day on the slopes and then just vegged in the evening, cooking our own meal and doing very little.

I just asked DH if our total included food and he gave me this break down (he's the money man, I just spend it!).

£400 flights
£1200 accommodation
£600 lessons
£600 ski passes
£100 petrol/parking
£150/day spending = £1000
Total £3900

Our lessons were full days for the DC - 4hrs a day for 6 days in a group. Two DC. And 3 2hr private lessons for DH and I. The £150/day covered food, travel, emergency new gloves for me etc and varied by day. Days skiing were cheaper, day in Salzburg before the flight was more expensive.

TeetotalKoala Mon 27-Jul-20 21:20:04

In fact, he's just told me that that's next year's projected budget as the accommodation will be more expensive (we're going at Christmas). The accommodation this year was £800. So it was actually £3.5k all in.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in