Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When does the ski season end - is there likely to be much snow in the French Alps at beg of April?

(6 Posts)
sandyballs Mon 10-Sep-07 15:05:25

Title says it all really. DH 40 beginning of April and I know he would love to go ski-ing again, haven't been since DDs were born and they are now 6 so at an age when they would hopefully love it.

Also, will it cost a fortune to kit us all out in the right gear? Obviously don't want to spend much on DDs as they will have outgrown it by next season.

Nip Mon 10-Sep-07 15:08:52

last few yrs the snow has stayed around longer and weather has been good.

For the first time in 5 years we are going to leave it till the end of March - i'm sick of skiing in temperatures of -17'!!

LIZS Mon 10-Sep-07 15:12:25

We went to Alpe d'Huez at the beginning of April this year and had plenty of fresh snow (they'd had poor snow fall by their standards until then) but the warm sun meant it melted away very quickly into slush. TK maxx, Tchibo, H and M , Trespass etc are good for basics.

MrsBadger Mon 10-Sep-07 15:18:45

depends on height too
more in eg Val Thorens than eg Courchevel

better visibility too - don't mind skiing in the cold but no fun in white-out

LIZS Mon 10-Sep-07 15:24:28

The other thing to bear in mind is that Easter, the traditional close of the season for many low resorts, falls early next year (23rd March) so the season may draw to a close soon after. Many would close down from the 1st weekend of April with only the higher altitude ones running until later in April, depending on conditions.

sandyballs Mon 10-Sep-07 15:33:00

I'm thinking of the Flaine area, think that's how you spell it. I've just looked on e-bay and put in a couple of bids for ski-jackets, there's some fab stuff on there.

Thanks for other tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now