Talk

Advanced search

Tipping instructors

(10 Posts)
TailEndCharlie Fri 07-Feb-20 20:19:43

OK as have never skied I didn't realise this was a thing.... four kids having the same instructor for 8 half days in Whistler. It is costing an arm and a leg already.... do you tip and how much? Why when they are private instructors and are paid a fortune? But I don't want to be that guest that doesn't tip. How much is reasonable or in this day and age is it a bit frowned upon (they are a professional who charge what they charge... a tip implies staff / servant and can get awks). I really don't know what is standard. Thoughts?

OP’s posts: |
bestbefore Fri 07-Feb-20 20:21:55

Ouch!!

rookiemere Fri 07-Feb-20 21:24:19

Oh goodness this must be some North American/Canadian thing - I've never tipped an instructor in my life. We're going away tomorrow and the group lessons cost 60 euros per day no way am I paying more than that.

SkiYetiMagic Sat 08-Feb-20 08:52:29

I think (and hope) this is an American thing too. I have not done before in Europe.

Inniu Fri 21-Feb-20 20:06:14

We tipped ski instructors in Europe. Is it really not done?

TeetotalKoala Fri 21-Feb-20 23:03:14

We tipped our children's instructor last week in Europe. It wasn't expected or insinuated that we should, we just thought that he'd been so fantastic over the course of the week, he deserved it.

DH and I had shared a private instructor, who had told us earlier in the week that the pay was shocking, but that he did it because he loves to ski and snowboard.

The DCs instructor was very pleased with his tip. We gave him €50.

rookiemere Sat 22-Feb-20 08:39:33

Oh dear, we didn't tip because the lessons themselves were ridiculously expensive already, but I feel guilty now blushconfused

Youhedge Wed 26-Feb-20 07:28:46

3 full days, we tipped €50

crosspelican Wed 26-Feb-20 10:50:58

Oh - I didn't tip! Feel bad now, but there didn't seem to be any expectation. Both the instructors we had were older - probably about 60 and 50. It didn't cross my mind the way it might have for a student.

frequencykenneth Wed 26-Feb-20 11:08:25

I don't usually. Childcare staff are different I think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in