Talk

Advanced search

Independent booking recommendation

(7 Posts)
Sunshine1239 Sun 26-Jan-20 10:15:37

Hi

Looking to book skiing for next Feb half term and considering independent booking to save cost (and we’ve done it previously successfully).

Any recommendations of resorts where is easy to do?

We’ve been Andorra last few years so it’s easy to sort with flights to Barcelona etc. I’m looking for a prettier resort this time maybe Austria or France? Normally we’ve gone half board Feb half term for family of 4 for £4700 approx inc lunch vouchers (so basically full board).

Package prices are coming up £6-7k for similar level of hotel. It needs to be a hotel as we go with several families so need the hotel bar and lounge area that you often don’t get with apartments.

Ideally a large ski area with plenty of intermediate runs

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
SkiYetiMagic Sun 26-Jan-20 14:39:44

HI,
For France I would recommend booking flights early to Geneva (Swiss Air is norm cheaper than budget airlines if you book really early) then getting a private transfer up to Combloux and staying in Chalet Hotel Alpin. It's incredibly close to the slopes, hire and ski school and there is a great ski area here you can go big or small. Transfer is straightforward and quick from Geneva so wont be too expensive.

You could also use same flights and look at Espace Diamant maybe Praz or St Nicholas or Les Saises. This area is also really big and little known to the Brits.

Africa2go Wed 29-Jan-20 13:22:01

I think the price difference is down to the destination - Andorra is always much cheaper (I've found anyway) than France or Austria and unfortunately, regardless of resort, you're looking at a price hike between Andorra and elsewhere.

Go on the snowheads website - the fountain of all knowledge where skiing is concerned.

The only thing I would say is that French resorts will be really busy at February half term even if you can get cheap flights to say Geneva.

rookiemere Wed 29-Jan-20 19:36:47

If you can get flights to Turin cheaply then you're only an hour from Montgenevre. We were reliably informed that it's not too busy at Feb term and it was practically empty when we went at Easter, or a little further is Serre Chevalier- we stayed at the Monetier les bains village and it's picturesque and not too busy at Feb half term

rookiemere Wed 29-Jan-20 19:37:40

Another option is looking at Crystal holidays now for next Feb half term. They often have good bargains if you book early.

SkiYetiMagic Thu 30-Jan-20 08:32:13

HI. I would second the Montgenvre option too its really good for families, links to a bigger area and has had really good snow this year. Quite a few airlines go to Turin too and if you decide to use public transport there are options for getting to Oulx then just a local bus up to Montgenvre. (For a family though its prob about the same to get a private transfer)

Sunshine1239 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:45:06

Thanks for the suggestions 😊

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in