Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations from Geneva

(11 Posts)
janed9388 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:08:44

Just booked some flights to Geneva for New year next year - can anyone recommend a hotel or chalet within a couple of hours drive ? it's our first trip with DD (8) and DS (5) so ski school will be a must. thanks

OP’s posts: |
BathTangle Wed 15-Jan-20 08:16:06

Have you looked at the various different ski resorts that are accessible from Geneva? That would be your first port of call I would suggest. Then you can choose accommodation according to your budget. Remember that you will also have the cost of ski/boot hire, ski passes and lessons to factor in.
In terms of suggestions, we have been to La Plagne for the last couple of years and really liked it.

janed9388 Wed 15-Jan-20 09:56:00

Yes, I've been looking but there are loads of options from Air BnB, through chalets to grand hotels. Quite a few of them seem to have no vacancies at all and I can't tell whether that is because they haven't released availability yet or if the likes of Crystal and Inghams have them booked out and you can't book direct. It's all to confusing ! think I need to get some brochures at the weekend.

OP’s posts: |
BathTangle Wed 15-Jan-20 13:43:14

Try igluski: they pull together deals from lots of agencies, to give you some things to choose from, and then see whether you can get a better deal direct?

katieviney Thu 16-Jan-20 13:45:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

rookiemere Sat 18-Jan-20 09:10:37

Many French hotels and apartments don't release their rooms until around Sep of the previous year. It's hugely frustrating but I doubt they are all already booked up.

Graceymac99 Mon 20-Jan-20 00:05:21

I recommend Les Gets which is a beautiful small Alpine town about 1hr 15 mins from Geneva. I have booked for last two years with an accomodation agency called Alpine Inspirations. Lovely independent accomodation. Skiing for kids is great here.

massistar Mon 20-Jan-20 10:09:54

Put in your dates and details on here and chalets will get back to you. I've used it loads and it's great.

https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1

Muchtoomuchtodo Tue 21-Jan-20 22:41:28

I didn’t realise flights had been released that far ahead - I need to get looking too in that case!

Portes du Soleil or Grand Massif ski areas are both easily accessible from Geneva.

I’d go for a high resort over a lower one at that time of year.

We’ve found some lovely places through chaletsdirect.com

SkiYetiMagic Thu 23-Jan-20 14:49:30

HI. I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Chalet Hotel Alpen Valley is really easy to get to from Geneva and is right by the slopes in a resort called Combloux - a great resort linked to Evasion, Mont Blanc. If you would rather go for apartments there are some in the centre of Chatel right by the lifts (which is also easy to get to from Geneva). At new year you may want to go to a higher up resort to make sure there is enough snow so I would say maybe Avoriaz is safest bet snow wise. The resorts easy to drive to from Geneva incude Flaine, Chatel, Morzine, Samoens, Avoriaz, Megeve.

user1494670108 Fri 24-Jan-20 12:33:46

I'd go for Morzine or Avoriaz (which you can reach from Morzine) a little over an hour and loads of different accommodation offers from flats to catered chalets to hotels. There are many catered chalets a little way out of Morzine that offer a mini bus lift to the ski lifts and back each day - these are ideal with kids as even a short walk in ski boots carrying skis can feel like a very long way. Avoriaz is higher than Morzine so the snow is often better (Les Gets is also accessible but is lower)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in