Talk

Advanced search

Anti anxiety meds / skiing

(20 Posts)
anonacatchat Mon 13-Jan-20 11:56:36

I am a bit of a nervous nelly due to an unrelated accident ( horse) a few years ago .

I feel the nerves hold me back so much , despite working with a good instructor .

Has anyone tried anything that takes the edge off? I have Phenergan and betablockers ( prescribed for as and when use - low dose for anxiety)

I know Dutch courage used to be the done thing but now with the insurance seems a bit high risk .

OP’s posts: |
user1494670108 Mon 13-Jan-20 15:10:45

I'd go with good lessons in a small group to build confidence rather than meds if possible

anonacatchat Mon 13-Jan-20 19:20:04

I have private lessons 🤣 this is a last resort for me sad

peoplepleaser1 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:44:39

Hope you find a solution OP.

I've no advise I'm afraid but I know the feeling- so many people tell me I should attack the slopes more and that speed is my friend but I can't seem to let go of the fear!

I don't drink as a general rule but wasn't aware of insurance issues related to drinking (although now I think about it it does make sense). Is this a new thing?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 14-Jan-20 22:52:33

Why are you pushing yourself so hard? It's supposed to be fun?
Is it that you have something to prove to yourself or someone else? Are you trying to keep up with other more experienced skiers?
Or are you a glorified beginner and feel that you should be zipping down black runs after numerous private sessions?

Do you enjoy yourself when you get the chance to pootle about zooming down a blue run? Then do that! It's what most of us do except when we get lost .... 🤨

Atalune Tue 14-Jan-20 22:55:33

What’s the point?

It’s such an expensive holiday/hobbie so why on earth are you pushing yourself like this?

You could start snowboarding lessons instead. Start from scratch? See the mountain in a different way?

Speed to a point in your friend, overly cautious and hesitation is as much as a risk as being reckless. However I am not sure I would bother spending ££ on something that should be a treat and fun if your not enjoying it so much.

mistletoeandmerlot Tue 14-Jan-20 23:08:55

If you are anxious you will be tense and this makes skiing really really hard. Are you sure you want to force yourself to do it right now? Why not go on the ski holiday to be with your friends/family and just enjoy being in the mountains another way? Lesson one in the mountains is relax and have fun!

anonacatchat Tue 14-Jan-20 23:12:14

I enjoy it when I get going 🤣

Why are you pushing yourself so hard? It's supposed to be fun?
- because if I didn't push myself to do things I'd quit . Life begins at the end of your comfort zone sometimes no?

Is it that you have something to prove to yourself or someone else?
- no just every instructor I have is telling me my technique is good just need to speed up

Are you trying to keep up with other more experienced skiers?
- no having private lessons

Or are you a glorified beginner and feel that you should be zipping down black runs after numerous private sessions?
- nope , being skiing 10 + trips but had a riding accident 3 years ago and lost my nerve with both riding and skiing at speed

Do you enjoy yourself when you get the chance to pootle about zooming down a blue run? Then do that! It's what most of us do except when we get lost .... 🤨
- agree 💗💗💗💗

I just want to feel less held back by whatever it is inside me that is the overly scardy cat of a little bit more speed

🤣🤣🤣

QuiteGood Tue 14-Jan-20 23:18:30

I totally identify with everything you have said but have no solutions. It's really frustrating. I know I would love it if I could just relax and let go of the fear. I love exercise, being out in nature, the views, my family do it and I want to be with them.

After a few holidays and sessions at the indoor ski slope in my city, I've finally given up. I hate giving in. I've had to push myself out of my comfort zone for many things from motorway driving to mountain biking, from shyness in big groups and many other things besides. So I totally hear you.

Insaneinthemembury Tue 14-Jan-20 23:21:54

Good for you, feel the fear and do it anyway!

I was like this until I had an amazing ski instructor who broke my technique down. Turns out I was doing a lot wrong and once I was skiing properly I felt much more in control and then felt I could finally go fast!

He also had us follow him in the lesson, we had to turn when he turned. It meant I built up way more speed than I'd have liked but it worked! I just tried to switch off and blindly follow his tracks. I ended up going 77km an hour (fast for me!).

Also, dont feel you have to do reds/blacks. I can ski blacks but I really enjoy a blue where I can just relax and not have to think too hard.

Insaneinthemembury Tue 14-Jan-20 23:23:08

Oh and how slowly are you going? Have you ever used an app like ski tracks to measure?

anonacatchat Tue 14-Jan-20 23:30:00

Quite good - oh no sad I mean I'm happy to ski alone at my own pace but I'd like to get a bit of a wriggle on and sometimes ski with friends at a more acceptable pace

Insane - yes I did the follow my tracks with my instructor and really helped , also skiing with competent friends and following their tracks ( they have to ski less tight for me to be able to match the turns however )

I think you're right , it's just more good tuition and confidence building . I find skiing with people a lot better either instructor or friends is helpful to get me out of my head and thinking less about what I'm doing . Thinking too much is my issue . All the what if's ?

There is a great confidence coach for horse riding called Karl Greenwood - he always says well "what if" you fell over in the shower 🤣 has a very funny Instagram which is worth a look even if you're not a rider !

When I get into the rhythm of following instructor / friends who are taking it slower for me that helps , but it's just quieting that internal voice !

anonacatchat Tue 14-Jan-20 23:30:35

No idea on speed ! Will get it for the first trip of the year next month .

QuiteGood Tue 14-Jan-20 23:55:14

Ah! I didn't read properly. It sounds like you have the ingredients but need to just keep plugging away and practicing. Do you have an indoor snow slope?

I'm not so bothered about falling over & embarrassment but breaking something!

anonacatchat Wed 15-Jan-20 19:14:13

Quitegood ha don't worry! Well currently looking at going this weekend now , bit of a trek away from me !

I'm also considering dry slopes which are closer

smemorata Wed 15-Jan-20 19:16:35

My advice is to give it up and snowshoe instead!

Shockers Wed 15-Jan-20 19:25:55

@smemorata- that’s what I do and I absolutely love it. Being out away from the crowds, with absolute silence except for birdsong. I used to cross country ski until arthritis claimed my hip. I’m having it replaced very soon, so may be able to do that again one day, but I’m happy snowshoeing for now!

Foofedifiknow Mon 03-Feb-20 12:02:57

Try reading the The Confidence Code - it’s helpful -esp how anxiety and fear can hold women back and reframing yourself as a woman of action - that makes it sound terrible but it’s an easy fun read.

chocolatviennois Tue 04-Feb-20 15:29:15

I think most types of anxiety are better treated by cognitive behaviour therapy rather than any medication. I would therefore get referred by your gp for CBT for any anxiety issues you have.

With skiing you could increase your confidence by continuing to take lessons and sometimes group lessons can be more relaxing than one to one tuition as you can have a laugh with others in group lessons and they are less intense. You could cut down your risk of falling on ice by skiing at Easter when the snow is softer from mid morning onwards. Book a less well known resort where the runs will be less busy. Go with friends who ski at your level or below or at least make sure that there is one person at your level in the group so that you don't have to ski as a large group all the time.

If you need any medication to calm your nerves I think one vin chaud at lunchtime would do the trick!

I do not think of skiing and horse riding as comparable activities. I would not let fear of one affect your enjoyment of the other.

SeaToSki Tue 04-Feb-20 15:53:40

Ive started sking this year after a break of 4 years following heart surgery. I am completely petrified that I will catch an edge/someone will crash into me. So I really understand your fear. My solution has been to just do run after run after run where I am confident and happy. At a speed I am happy at and when the slopes are quiet enough that I am also happy. Literally run after run of greens and the easy blues. I have found that it has really established a good base of confidence back in me and I am now going onto harder blues without feeling tense. If I scare myself again, I am going to go back to the easy ones again for a while.
If you were to try that, you might find that you can build up your speed a bit on the easy slopes and then when you are confident and happy, just go to a slightly more difficult one.
Its really hard to ski scared, because you tense and lean back and that just makes things more difficult to control. Dont push yourself, it may take a while but since skiing is so much fun, I think its worth it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in