Talk

Advanced search

Disaster

(33 Posts)
Cacacoisfarraige Fri 03-Jan-20 16:40:19

Hi everyone - looking for advice

I booked a ski holiday a year ago with crystal ski to try skiing. Dc’s are 10,8 and 4
I’d booked Italy as they had childcare for 8 and 4 and accommodation suitable for a family of 5. It’s in passo tonale.

However dh has his own business and a staff member left and his new staff member is still sorting a visa which is taking an age. He’s unable to source locum cover at all so I’ve either got to
1) try on my own
2) cancel

Dc’s are great but dd 10 has adhd so can be disorganised, and younger siblings aren’t much better.

Would I be crazy to go. I wanted to try skiing for years for dh’s business is always the factor

OP’s posts: |
Cacacoisfarraige Fri 03-Jan-20 16:41:05

Would I be crazy to go on my own ???

FadedRed Fri 03-Jan-20 16:45:33

Is there a relative or friend who could go with you? You should be able to change the person on the booking from your husband to another for a (smallish) fee. They don’t have to ski if they don’t want to.

Jackrussellsarecute Fri 03-Jan-20 16:48:15

If you can’t ski yourself this may be a bit brave!! It’s ok when you’re all in lessons but as a novice skier you can’t supervise all 3 children at once. Are there any extended childcare options for 1 or 2 children so that you rotate skiing with the other 1 or 2 after lessons? I hope your husband gets things sorted and can go with you!

smemorata Fri 03-Jan-20 16:48:41

I don't think it's impossible on your own, just more stressful. I would take someone if you can.

MaraScottie Fri 03-Jan-20 16:52:36

Hmmm it would be a LOT of work and organisation.

I'm just back from my first family ski trip, with husband and 5 and 7 year old. The logistics of getting ourselves and kids ready (socks, ski boots, base layers, salopets, jackets, buffs, helmets, goggles, gloves, snacks skis and poles up to the ski school meeting point was hard work. And it was only 1 minute away for us!

Are you all planning to take lessons? Are the kids going to be in all day ski school? It's a brilliant holiday but I'd struggle to do it alone TBH esp if it was your first ski holiday. How would you manage the kids on chair lifts etc.

MrsFezziwig Fri 03-Jan-20 17:00:55

I think it’s a lot to do if you don’t actually ski yourself. What is the extent of the childcare and what were your plans re lessons?
On the other hand, if you’ve already paid out a lot of money which you would not get back, you’ve not got much to lose. Maybe scale back your plans a bit and as PP said perhaps someone would go with you to help with the children. In the early days the kids I went with enjoyed sledging, faffing around in the snow and going to the pool almost as much as the actual skiing (and they’re all excellent skiers now). If the kids enjoy themselves you can always be more proactive with the lessons next year (and make sure DH has cast iron cover for his absence next year so he can support you).

HoneysuckIejasmine Fri 03-Jan-20 17:02:29

I'd take a friend instead.

OllyBJolly Fri 03-Jan-20 17:03:48

I'm a single parent and took my two DCs skiing. Getting the first morning organised with all three of us having to get skis, and be in different lessons was a bit of a challenge, but after that everything is easy. The instructors brought all the kids back to the same meeting point, and as most of the adult classes were parents as well we finished in time to be there.

Are you in a chalet or hotel?

Aroundtheworldin80moves Fri 03-Jan-20 17:09:13

We've just returned from Passo Tonale. (Grand Paradiso Hotel?) If it's the all day childcare where they drop off and pick up the kids from the ski lessons, it will be ok. But if you have to take them to the lessons...no way. It was hard enough with two adults with two experienced child skiers.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Fri 03-Jan-20 17:11:53

The issue was it was uphill from the hotel to the lesson meeting point (about 200m) plus a very steep slope to climb from the boot room to the start of the skiing area. Plus nothing else to do but skiing.

ChilliMum Fri 03-Jan-20 17:15:35

Its doable but you will need to be really organised.

As a pp said getting ready is the biggest issue, it is a lot of clothing and equipment. My 2 are older and competent skiers but it can take us 20 minutes to get onto the piste and we are ski in ski out!!

Is your accommodation ski in ski out? What is the childcare options? We used to be able to put ours into breakfast club and the staff there take them to ski school. This is great if you can do it as you dont need to lug your equipment just the kids, then you can go back to your room and sort yourself out.

I would only do ski school and spend the afternoon sledging, swimming, tv and down time - it is exhausting (but totally worth it smile).

You should book as much childcare as you can, if you dont use it it's not a problem but knowing you have it will help. If you have a friend who can come and help that would be even better, it really depends on how determined you are and how much extra childcare you can get.

Good luck, I hope you sort something out smile

Cacacoisfarraige Fri 03-Jan-20 17:19:18

The younger two are in crystal ski care. They will do skiing / sledging/ playing in snow from 9-5 so will just have to drop them at skiing.

The eldest and myself would be in lessons.

They will even take the kids for dinner and fun afterwards.

The hotel has a pool too to entertain them.

Cacacoisfarraige Fri 03-Jan-20 17:21:01

Accommodation is ski in and ski out.
I’ve hired everything (helmet/skis etc)

I don’t know how easy it will be to get them all ready, especially when I will have to do it for them 😂 and they’re terrible for losing stuff

Aroundtheworldin80moves Fri 03-Jan-20 17:22:19

Do you know the hotel name?

ChilliMum Fri 03-Jan-20 17:27:21

Just seen your update OP, you will be fine. Childcare will get the youngest 2 ready so you will only have to organise yourself and your eldest.

Have an amazing time, we are just packing up to go home after a week of skiing, I am sore, sunburnt, exhausted and have had the best time grin there is nothing like it.

Cacacoisfarraige Fri 03-Jan-20 17:29:16

The hotel is grand hotel paradiso in passo tonale.

I’m such a novice. I picked on the basis of childcare and a pool 😂😂😂 and all good provided

Aroundtheworldin80moves Fri 03-Jan-20 17:36:22

That's the hotel we were at. Kids were only allowed in the pool until 5pm. Theres a steep hill just outside the hotel, then the ski lifts from there... But the beginners bit is 200m further on, so you have to get yourself and 10yo (and younger two if childcare doesn't take them) with all their equipment along that bit. That was the hardest bit of the day (and then back afterwards).
Plus side... Loads of nice easy slopes near the hotel to progress through during the week.
The hot chocolate was amazing.

Caspianberg Fri 03-Jan-20 17:40:55

You have the 4 and 8 year old in childcare 9-5, so I would say thats no problem at all.
You and the 10 year old in lessons, and can pootle about in the afternoon together.

In a hotel they can all swim every evening between getting in and dinner, eat and then will be shattered for bed.

9-5pm is a long day in childcare though, I would see the schedule as I would assume most dont use it all day, and would be tempted to just use 9-2/3pm whilst your skiing. Then collect and use the 3pm onwards to explore together, swim, relax

LIZS Fri 03-Jan-20 17:47:00

Does the 8 yo not want to ski? 10 yo should be able to carry some equipment. Ask if there is anywhere near the ski-school meeting point to store skis and boots overnight as that would make life easier.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 03-Jan-20 17:47:44

What time do your lessons start? Have you got time to get from the childcare to the lessons?

Cacacoisfarraige Fri 03-Jan-20 18:01:40

I wouldn’t use childcare all day, the youngest gets cold.

I would look at skiing in the morning, then lunch and chilling with kids. They’d love dog sledding which I would do one day. And some regular sledding. If I had a sled they’d be happy being pulled around (all three 😂😂)

You’re making it all sound less daunting. I’ll need to bring my whiteboard to organise them all

custardlover Fri 03-Jan-20 18:08:13

I think you'll be ok. We just returned from our first trip with a 6 and 8 year old and the 6 year old carried his skis every day. If you don't put too much pressure on yourself you'll be fine and I think Crystal is great. I booked our place based on similar criteria and defy anyone to disagree with the logic! Have a good time 😊

Aroundtheworldin80moves Fri 03-Jan-20 18:10:01

There's a nice blue you will be able to do by the end of the week which takes you past the dogs. You can also take a gondola (without skis) up the mountain to see the glacier. It's a black run on the way down (the middle is a blue if you fancy taking all the equipment)

Cacacoisfarraige Fri 03-Jan-20 22:34:46

Looking at the crystal childcare option. They They will drop and collect to morning skiing lessons and bring them back for lunch and do activities with them walks, sledding etc. In the afternoon.

That should make it easier and as it’s two together they should be happy.

It’s only dd that I have to bring to lessons which is manageable.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in