Talk

Advanced search

Ski resort with other activities

(7 Posts)
Zaor Wed 09-Oct-19 21:00:12

Hi All

We have never been skiing and want to do a trip over Christmas/New Year. 2 adults DS 17 and DD 13. DH and DS are like mountain goats and will no doubt be skiing within hours. Myself and DD may be another story! I'm looking for somewhere with maybe a huski ride or snowmobile tour or pool. Also it needs to be high enough that we will have snow. Does it need to be Finland/Norway? They look to be out of our budget. We can fly from Dublin or Belfast so slightly more limited than those of you in UK. Although we could do a flight to UK first.
Any suggestions welcome
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
skiknees Wed 09-Oct-19 21:47:21

We started out by going to a European Centre parcs- de Kempervennen has a snow dome where the kids had lessons 2 years running. The 3rd year we went to another Centre Parcs in Germany- near to the Winterburg ski resort which was great for next steps in learning to ski, and still had the Centre parcs activities for anyone who decides skiing isn't for them. (Not that any of ours did- we were on the slopes all day by then).
If you want to head straight for Alpine skiing then Les Arcs 1950 has been our favourite since then. The Pierre Vacance / Radisson Blu Apartment blocks are all ski in/ski out, ski lockers, concierge services, pools, gyms, sauna's etc and evening entertainment in the Village centre. You can book direct with them, or some are privately owned and can be booked through Owners direct/air b'n'b.

Zaor Thu 10-Oct-19 21:29:21

Thanks for that skiknees Les Arcs looks great - lots to do there. Hadn't considered Centre parcs but will have a look.

OP’s posts: |
superram Thu 10-Oct-19 21:30:22

We are going to les arcs on 27th.

SarBear1980 Fri 11-Oct-19 18:12:03

Finland is amazing for the other things if skiing isn’t your thing/you need a break...it’s also I’ve found a great place to learn and lessons are to a very high standard. Ruka was a good resort we liked with huskies, snow mobiles, ice walks to the arctic circle. Also look at Austria - more expensive but most places have great local swimming/thermal water complexes. We’ve booked Kaprun this year as it’s got sledging, ice skating, bowling, swimming, gondola to the glacier to take our 5 year old- but to be honest for me...I’ll be in the spa and he’ll be on piste with daddy all day!! To get the most out of a first ski holiday definitely invest in some time in a snow dome in advance.

snottysystem Fri 11-Oct-19 18:18:27

watching

NCTDN Sat 12-Oct-19 22:49:57

Andorra appears to fit your needs. It's very good with beginners but also had lots to offer for more experienced skiers.
It's so much cheaper than other European ski resorts too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in