Talk

Advanced search

7 year old - 1.5hr or 3hr ski school

(26 Posts)
Teds77 Sun 29-Sep-19 23:34:32

We have 7 year twins who will be skiing for the first time. We have the option or a 1.5hr lesson every morning or a 3hr lesson every morning (for five days). I’m not that fussed about them becoming expert skiers or that desperate to make sure we (adults) have plenty of time to ski.

Just keen to know which people think is better and why? Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
JeffreyJefferson Sun 29-Sep-19 23:37:31

Personally i wouldn’t go on holiday just to dump my kids off for 3 hours everyday. An hour and half sounds great.

Xiaoxiong Sun 29-Sep-19 23:41:50

Our 5 and 7 year olds did 3 hours a day last Christmas. They were tired but coped fine and they ski much better than we do now!!

june2007 Sun 29-Sep-19 23:44:27

I went for 3 hr for my 8 ye old who loved it.

chamenanged Sun 29-Sep-19 23:45:17

I do three hours of lessons for five days when I go away and I find it a really hard slog - I'm usually clockwatching from day 3 onwards. I don't know if being seven years old and having my twin in my class would make time go faster or slower, although I'm sure it would make me more skilful.

Pipandmum Sun 29-Sep-19 23:47:31

What do your kids say? Are they really keen? Are they generally energetic? If yes go for three hours. If it’s a group lesson an hour and a half will include some waiting time so three hours better value and will get them progressing well.

user1494670108 Mon 30-Sep-19 13:32:37

Three hours is fine, they have a snack and drink break in the middle, I'd say that they'd get v little skiing in 1.5 hour lessons, by the time everyone is there (someone's always late), they get all their stuff together, get a lift up to where they're going, instructors talks a bit, they all ski a bit and then come back up again, the first hour or more is gone so unless you feel that you can also coach them they'll not learn much. Plus they make friends and have fun , you are not dumping them as suggested by pp

Aroundtheworldin80moves Mon 30-Sep-19 13:36:05

Mine have done 10-3 since they were 4&5 (that's with a lunch break). They love it. 1.5hrs doesn't sound long if the resort is busy.

celtiethree Mon 30-Sep-19 13:37:38

I’d go for 3 hours. 1.5 is too short.

Fere Mon 30-Sep-19 13:38:26

1 hour 1-2-1 each was perfect when they were 6 and 8 but they would have happily been doing much longer in a group but there were none in our resort.
Go for 3 hours.

LIZS Mon 30-Sep-19 13:43:41

3. By the time they have queued for a lift and got anywhere an hour and half lesson could easily only be one hour's tuition.

inwood Mon 30-Sep-19 13:44:10

I think it needs to be the three as otherwise they're not going to get it in a week unless you are incredibly patient and want to teach them outside of ski school.

Cohle Mon 30-Sep-19 13:45:08

I'd also go for three.

SpaceDinosaur Mon 30-Sep-19 13:49:15

I'd go for three as well.

MotheringShites Mon 30-Sep-19 13:54:05

I can’t see them getting much done in 1.5 hrs. They’ll be fine with 3.

Ignore the “dumping them off” comment. Unless you are a qualified instructor you can’t teach them yourself. It pays off after a couple of weeks in ski school they will be competent enough to ski with you and you can then have wonderful times together.

Teds77 Sat 05-Oct-19 17:54:26

Belated thank yous! Sounds like mixed views.

And yes - if I want to dump the kids I can definitely think of cheaper and easier ways to do that grin Just keen they get a good shot at learning how to ski vs. not ending up hating it as it’s hard work/too long/cold.

Will have a think.

OP’s posts: |
Ragwort Sat 05-Oct-19 20:09:54

I think you need at least three hours in a ski class. We 'dumped' hmm our child in ski school at age 4, for a whole day each time, it was a ski school in the US, more like a kindergarten, he loved it, asked to go back every year and now is a very accomplished skier.
You can't learn much in an hour and a half.

wobytide Mon 07-Oct-19 00:16:36

JeffreyJefferson with one of the strangest first responses ever. 3 hours without a doubt. If you want them to learn give them the opportunity. Shame on all the parents dumping children in school for 7 hours every weekday

massistar Tue 08-Oct-19 11:14:02

JeffreyJefferson clearly shouldn't be on the ski thread. What a strange comment!

Younger kids do so much faffing that I'd definitely go for 3 hours as they won't learn much in 1.5.

Also if you're skiers then you need the 3 to be able to go off and get a few runs in.

MustardScreams Tue 08-Oct-19 11:18:51

Definitely 3 hours, you barely get any slope time in 1.5 hours.

Laughing at the ‘dumping’ comment! Someone has never been skiing I take it.

mummTum Wed 16-Oct-19 22:02:38

3 hours.
My dd was doing 2 hour lessons at 3 yo and 2.5 lessons at 4 yo. She was a bit tired but fine. She’d ski/sledge in the afternoon too. Definitely agree that a 1.5 hr lesson won’t be long enough for them. And if you want to do any skiing at all, 1.5 hours is really short, you’d only be able to do a run or two. Have a lovely time!

pepperup Sun 20-Oct-19 07:41:25

Definitely 3h. 1.5h is for tiny children. I don’t think it’s mixed views at all if you read who’s actually a skier! Ignore the odd bod at top! My kids have skied all day from 5/6 albeit with a long break in the middle.

Milliefizz Wed 23-Oct-19 22:21:30

3 hours definitely. They will manage fine. You will not get much skiing done yourselves with 1.5 hr lessons.

After the lessons stop for a long lunch break and then enjoy a few gentle runs with the kids in the afternoon before retiring to the jacuzzi.

Sunshine1239 Wed 23-Oct-19 22:23:20

3 hours defo

They’ll likely pick it up quick and as such 1.5 hours by day 3 will be too short duration to venture anywhere outside the nursery area

Sunshine1239 Wed 23-Oct-19 22:23:59

Mine ski 10-1 ski school then 2-5 with us!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in