Talk

Advanced search

Why is a split-roller needed?

(9 Posts)
DDIJ Sun 14-Apr-19 16:41:45

Kit list for ski trip specifies split-roller and says not to bring wheelie suitcase. DD has just taken a suitcase before. They are travelling by coach.

They are not to take their own helmets or skiwear so it is not to do with that.

Can anybody shed any light on this before I query it with the school? There is probably a perfectly obvious explanation and I don't want to make an arse of myself.

OP’s posts: |
Circeplease Sun 14-Apr-19 21:24:02

Having been on many ski trips I have coped fine without a split roller... are they worried some parents may give very heavy cases perhaps? The kids need to manage their own I guess.

BobBobBobbingAlong Sun 14-Apr-19 21:28:11

I had to google split roller. Unless I'm missing something it just looks like a soft bag with wheels?

I used to take a rucksack skiing in case there was a lot of snow and we had to walk a way from the drop off point.

LynetteScavo Sun 14-Apr-19 22:36:35

To fit more bags on the coach?

Not their own skiwear? confused

Circeplease Sun 14-Apr-19 23:01:23

Some operators do provide it eg in Courmayeur there is a big British operator with lots of adult learners dressed identically grin.
For school trips I can see it’s a great cost saving idea so why then make parents buy an expensive bag?!

DDIJ Tue 16-Apr-19 19:45:03

Thanks for the replies! She has all her own ski stuff but they must hire from the operator. She will be taking base layers, goggles, a few normal clothes, hardly anything at all. I am still not 100% sure why she needs to buy a bag you could transport a body in.

purplecorkheart Tue 16-Apr-19 19:47:41

I assume because they take up less room when they are empty. So when people unpack the bags can be stored under beds or on tops or presses etc

DDIJ Tue 16-Apr-19 19:57:49

That's a good point, although if that is the case she could just take a small, soft bag. She won't have enough weight to justify wheels.

purplecorkheart Tue 16-Apr-19 20:04:38

It probably is the coach driver who will be moving the packs from point A to the coach and then from the coach to point b. That is the only reason I can see why they want wheels. Take a look on amazon you can buy quite small bags with wheel if she does not have to bring a lot. (I may have bought one of these bags as it looked fab, I learned it had wheels about a year later 🤯 when a porter offered to bring it to my hotel room)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in