Talk

Advanced search

Anybody been to Åre?

(9 Posts)
Muchtoomuchtodo Fri 15-Mar-19 13:55:26

Considering a self catering place for next year but would love to hear some first hand opinions.

What’s the skiing and ski school like? Any jumps parks?

Is it expensive once you’re there?

OP’s posts: |
Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 18-Mar-19 21:12:15

Still looking into this.

The way that one company owns and runs everything is a bit strange!

Also I can only find ski lessons lasting 1.5 hours - is that really all that's available?

MrsSup Tue 19-Mar-19 17:20:01

I can't comment about Are - but they are run by SkiStar, aren't they? We've been to Trysil a couple of times which is also run by Skistar and it's really well set up, all super efficient. Great instruction, and we certainly had a choice of lesson length. In Trysil instruction is subcontracted out to a separate company (but still has to be booked through Skistar).

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 07-Apr-19 22:35:17

Yes Skistar seems to do everything - accommodation, lessons, lift passes. It all feels rather strange and controlling!

Think we might go for it anyway for a change.

Mumtofourandnomore Thu 11-Apr-19 23:24:41

We’ve been to Are twice, and Salen twice too - it’s brilliant. Are is the bigger resort and plenty to keep you busy, the pistes are wide and very well maintained, plenty of challenge (it’s a World Cup resort) but plenty of easier skiing too. We stayed in self catered accommodation, they are mostly appartments and log cabins. Skistar is the best website to use, travel is independent to skistar - flights to either Trondheim with Norwegian (two hour, very straightforward transfer with hire car) or to Ostersund with EasyJet. We always do Norwegian, there are no flights on Saturdays but a brilliant hotel airport (Radisson) that I can recommend. The resort is brilliant for children and non skiers too - husky rides, snowmobiles, large pool complex (expensive...). We didn’t eat out because there’s a good supermarket and we have four children. We are definitely going back next Easter (Feb half term also good, although colder)

Mumtofourandnomore Thu 11-Apr-19 23:33:27

PS, there are definitely jump parks lol, my 4dc love trying to get me to do jumps and rails, I just hold the gopro.......

Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 17-Apr-19 22:01:40

Thanks. We’ve booked for February half term 😀

LuckyBitches Tue 09-Jul-19 11:02:04

I've been to Are in April, lots of wide open runs, and a good mix. Duved on the lift pass is quieter and we preferred it. The main mountain in Are was pretty much heaving, at least the runs under the main cable car. There's at least one jump park in Duved, not really my thing!

I would return, especially as they've now replaced some of the long T-bars with chairlifts, that was tiring. The town itself is nice enough but the scenery is magical for some reason that I can't quite explain... very clear air, and a top of the world feeling. I would consider getting a balaclava though, this does mean it's wind prone.

craftymadam Thu 15-Aug-19 22:05:19

We’ve been looking in to Are for our first family ski holiday, looking at Feb half term. Can I ask a couple of questions -
Do you book lessons direct with skistar? I had a look at their website & it said no lessons were available for the dates we’re looking at...
Are transfers from Ostersund easy to do?
Has anyone taken their own skis? DH and I have our own skis, but our DCs don’t.
Thanks smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in