Talk

Advanced search

Catered chalets / ski resorts close to Chambery

(19 Posts)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Wed 13-Feb-19 17:24:10

Trying to avoid expensive/lengthy transfers. Are being quoted 150 Euros each for transfers which is a bit OTT.

Any recommendations for catered chalet not too far from Chambery with transfers included? Easy intermediate skiing blues/reds?

PuzzlingPuzzle Thu 14-Feb-19 01:55:34

Chambery is under 2 hours from just about every big French ski resort I can think of so tons of choice for a short transfer but my advice? Don’t do it!!

The wait for your bags to come out to the single baggage belt alone is longer than any additional transfer time from Geneva. I honestly can’t put into words the ‘experience’ of this airport, I think I’m still traumatised from my once and never visit in 2016. Read the google reviews, there are some excellent pictures on there of the crowds too.

If you’re looking to save on transfers a package where everything is included might be the way to go.

OKhitmewithit Thu 14-Feb-19 08:10:55

Chambery.... that’s about 6 hours of my life I’ll never get back. Don’t do it

TornTendon Thu 14-Feb-19 08:14:34

God no. I've flown in and out of chambery twice. Thought the first time with 10 hours sat in the most overcrowded airport (shed) ever was a one off. It wasn't.

Fly to geneva and stay at chamonix?

citykat Thu 14-Feb-19 09:24:19

Another vote for 'not Chambery'. Transfers are pricey. Hire a car, will probably be cheaper then transfers.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Thu 14-Feb-19 18:01:25

Oh thank you all! I will avoid and use Geneva as usual!

We were trying to get closer to some different ski areas, as we have been to Chamonix, grande massif and Portes du Soleil a few times now. I wasn’t fancying a four hour journey from Geneva to anywhere....

Any other resorts within 1.5 hours of Geneva?

TornTendon Thu 14-Feb-19 18:39:15

Tignes is a slightly shorter transfer than a lot of other places but still about 2.5 hrs I reckon.

TornTendon Thu 14-Feb-19 18:40:25

Avoriaz/morzine would be closer I think.

Flaine?

Epiphany52 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:44:58

Les Gets? Or in Switzerland Nendaz is supposed to be nice

Backinthebox Fri 15-Feb-19 19:13:42

As a passenger the only time I've ever been to Chambery we landed in Milan instead. As a professional airline pilot I've never flown into the real Chambery, but I have done the eye-opening approach and practiced how not to hit the very close mountains if it all goes wrong. Those 2 things combined have resolved me never to go to Chambery unless I can help it.

If you want short easy transfers though and have done all the nearby French stuff, have you considered flying into Munich? Relatively cheap flights and it's only about 1.5-2hrs to the massive Hintertux-Zillertal areas, Saalbach Circus, Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt and less than 3 hrs to the Arlberg or Ski Amade. Sometimes I've hired a car, sometimes when we've been a big enough group that we've got a minibus and driver for the group. In the last 3 years I've been to Zell am Ziller, Zell am Zee, Konigsleiten, Ellmau, Soll, Kaprun, and off to Saalbach this year. It's never taken us longer than 2 hours from Munich Airport.

Backinthebox Fri 15-Feb-19 19:14:45

And we take audiobooks for the transfer. My kids have been known to get to the end of the journey and refused to get out of the car till the end of the chapter!

Backinthebox Fri 15-Feb-19 19:17:13

Me again, last post. This is one of my favourite webpages - I don't like a long transfer either but you can see at a glance how long it will take to get from a particular airport to a resort.

And if you are after catered chalets you won't find them in Austria, but they have a big half-board hotel culture. The one we are staying at this year has it's own pool and spa.

TornTendon Fri 15-Feb-19 21:28:36

Yep the actual landing at Chambers scares me. It's so close to the mountains and once they clear them they have to drop fairly quickly to make the airport and it always looks to me that if they don't get it right there isn't much space to pull up and go around.

One year we landed at Geneva and went to the chalet and a bus was meant to be bringing the Chambery passengers an hour after us. They arrived more than 24 hours late after landing at Turin I think and having a major long transfer from there.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sat 16-Feb-19 18:58:20

Thank you all!
@Backinthebox We did Munich/Soll on our first ski holiday waaay back in 1990 (eek), unfortunately, there was no snow so bussed us to the Stubai glacier every day. It’s made me not really consider Austria again... which is silly really! We can get reasonable flights into Salzburg, I’m now going to look into the areas you suggested.

@TornTendon We have been to Flaine, Morzine, Les Gets and Chamonix recently, so looking for somewhere new. My friend has recommended La Plagne? Looking at the transfers, they are £300 each way!!!! Maybe a package holiday would be more convenient.

I will have a look at Tignes and Austria.
grin

ForgivenessIsDivine Thu 21-Feb-19 08:33:49

Les contamines, St Gervais, Mégère.

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 23-Feb-19 22:33:37

Les Carroz is about an hour from Morzine.
Morillon, samoens, Flaine not a lot further.

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 23-Feb-19 22:34:25

That should say les Carroz is about an hour from Geneva.

Tigresswoods Mon 25-Feb-19 22:21:04

Never had an issue with chambery airport. What are you all on about?!?

concretejungle Tue 05-Mar-19 21:38:45

4 out of 4 trips to Chambery have treated me brilliantly. Easy flight, good landing, super-fast baggage collection and quick departures on tour company's transfers.

Yes, it can be busy - particularly in departures- but worth it for shorter transfer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: