Talk

Advanced search

Kids ski jackets with helmet compatible hoods

(12 Posts)
Graffitiqueen Tue 05-Feb-19 11:12:29

Can anyone tell me which brands make jackets for kids that have hoods big enough to fit over the top of their helmets?

Thiswayorthatway Tue 05-Feb-19 11:26:48

No one wears hoods over helmets. Not practical as hood woldn't move when turning head so obstructs vision, too hot and nousy too. Get a balaclava and/or buff neck warmer for under helmets. Hoods on ski jackets are for when no helmet or hat is worn, personally I prefer no hood as it gets in the way when wearing a helmet.

calpop Tue 05-Feb-19 12:24:57

Yep - not practical to put the hood over helmet or wear it underneath. Balaclavas and/or neck warmers are the way to go. Decathlon does nice, cheap fleece ones.

Graffitiqueen Tue 05-Feb-19 14:26:37

Well we wear hoods over helmets regularly. We ski in Scotland regularly and it can be bitterly cold and sometimes wet.

DH and I both have helmet compatible jackets and I'd like the same for the kids. They already have buffs to wear under their helmets, but I like having both a buff and my hood over my helmet.

Graffitiqueen Tue 05-Feb-19 14:27:21

And given how many adult jackets state helmet compatibility we're not the only ones.

Thiswayorthatway Tue 05-Feb-19 19:19:44

I really don't know how you manage to ski with a hood over a helmet, it must reduce peripheral vision a lot. I have skied in -25 in Canada and a thermal balaclava was best.

Graffitiqueen Tue 05-Feb-19 23:27:14

You don’t tend to ski with your hood up. You put it over your helmet when you’re on the lifts and more exposed.

I find it extremely useful and makes a big difference to my comfort in blizzard conditions, way better than a thermal balaclava. My kids have asked for jackets with helmet compatible hoods like ours.

I can’t believe you’ve never heard of it. Have a google.

Mentounasc Wed 06-Feb-19 08:11:17

I'd never heard of it either, but a quick Google throws up a German (I think) company called Volcom - all their jackets are helmet compatible. The kids range seems to start from 121 cm tall. Not cheap though! You'd also need to check delivery options with Brexit approaching.

massistar Wed 06-Feb-19 10:42:20

Me and my DH also put hoods up over helmets! Particularly useful when it's snowing!

Mine is a DC one but not sure about kids. Ours are more snowboard style jackets if that makes sense?

massistar Wed 06-Feb-19 10:53:38

My son's is an O'Neill one which would also go over a helmet. Although he doesn't use it as he doesn't feel the cold.

Try Surfdome. They have loads of kids snowboard jackets by DC, O'Neill and Volcom. All look like they have big hoods.

OwlMother Thu 07-Feb-19 08:15:56

I was going to say Volcom- both my younger kids (13 and 15) have helmet compatible jackets from them. Added bonus is the jackets are slightly crazily patterned so they're easy to spot!

HappySpade Fri 08-Feb-19 22:13:33

One of my DCs wears a Spyder jacket and can fit the hood nicely over her helmet. It is needed when the wind is very cold.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: