Talk

Advanced search

Resorts that are less popular with UK skiers?

(10 Posts)
Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 24-Jan-19 15:07:39

For the last 10 years we've skied every year with a group of friends and our growing families. Up until now we've gone in term time and stayed in catered chalets in France but due to them getting older that has to come to an end.

We're looking ahead at February half term or Easter 2020 and are astounded at half term prices in the popular French resorts so are trying to research other resorts that might be less popular with UK skiers. Germany, Austria, French Pyrenees, Italian Dolomites have all come up but we know nothing about them!

The children will range from 6-14 so proximity to ski school will still be needed for the younger ones.

Hotels or Airbnb would be an option in the right spot in the right resort.

We live in South Wales so would ideally fly from Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham or Heathrow.

Does anybody have any specific suggestions or can you point us in the right direction?

Thanks

massistar Thu 24-Jan-19 22:00:54

We often ski in the Dolomites and can go a whole week without hearing another English voice.

You don't get chalets though so you'd be looking at apartments or small hotel or BnB.

backinthebox Thu 24-Jan-19 23:47:14

We went to Konigsleiten last year in half term and only came across 2 other English families. It was busy on the Tuesday and Wednesday because it was Fasching (Austrian bank holiday) but the rest of the week was quiet. Fasching only occasionally coincides with British half term so I would imagine it would normally be quieter than it was last year. Konigsleiten is part of the Zillertal Arena and shares its lift pass with Zell am Ziller. If you want an afternoon or evening off skiing, it has lots of other stuff within a half hour car journey - we’ve done the Zillertal alpine-coaster, and the longest toboggan run in Europe at Bramberg, both close by. You would fly into Munich and then it’s only about 2 hrs drive.

thegrinningfox Thu 24-Jan-19 23:59:06

Italian dolomites. We get no british and we go at half term. Mainly italians, german and dutch.

Ortisei is a fabulous place to go. A fab town with a great public pool (free entry with most accomodation) twi ski schools and With access to the easy and fab alpe di siusi, the seceda and the famous sella ronda. PM me for more info on the area. Fly to Verona or milano bergamo (slightly longer drive but extremely doable).

thegrinningfox Fri 25-Jan-19 00:05:39

Ps: we do not mind british, in fact I think my dd would probably enjoy it. The only downside is if your older children will go to ski school. If they are good skiers ok. If they are not so they’ll be in classes with lots of italian and german much younger children.

thegrinningfox Fri 25-Jan-19 00:06:52

I am rambling, apologies. I’ll be sharper tomorrow.

slappinthebass Fri 25-Jan-19 00:22:44

Checkout Bulgaria too.

BigGreenOlives Fri 25-Jan-19 00:29:37

Samnaun & Serfaus are both low English speaking resorts from our experience.

Muchtoomuchtodo Fri 25-Jan-19 12:23:01

Thanks all.
We’re not anti British speaking, just trying to avoid price hikes by going to resorts that are less popular with UK based skiers!
The older ones don’t need lessons but do get bored with ‘adult skiing’ so we could look at private lessons for them.

thegrinningfox Fri 25-Jan-19 12:34:36

If they are good skiers they do advanced teeanger groups that could be fun. Price are hiked anyway that time of the yearbit not as much probably. We tend to by everything separatedly, flights accomodations etc rather than a pack as it works out sooo much cheaper. Also luckily next year it won’t clash with carnival week, which makes it even more expensive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »