Talk

Advanced search

Ski resort recommendations

(33 Posts)
emmar88 Tue 20-Nov-18 16:00:30

Looking to book a ski holiday for my partners 40th mid January.
He has never skied before so looking for a resort that has good runs for beginners-intermediate.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
RemoteRamona Tue 20-Nov-18 17:04:10

What's your budget?

emmar88 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:40:19

4 nights ideally as we have 2 little ones at home.

max £1500 for 2 of us.

user187656748 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:42:09

£1500 for two of you including accommodation, flights, transfers plus ski hire, lift passes and lessons?

Erm...

emmar88 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:45:28

I did Val Thorens last year for a week all in for £600 pp.

I'm just looking for advice on resorts.

OrchidInTheSun Tue 20-Nov-18 17:56:04

For a newbie I'd go for Austria. Obergurgl, Soll, Alpbach or Mayrhofen are all good resorts for that level. Cheaper and prettier than France. But food is fairly grim!

emmar88 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:45:03

Thanks orchidinthesun!! I'll look into Mayrhofen. Have you been before? Can you recommend any nice hotels that are central close to ski runs ?

OrchidInTheSun Tue 20-Nov-18 18:46:52

I've been to all of them but not for a very long time I'm afraid! So no hotel reccs. Austria is much cheaper than France tho

RemoteRamona Tue 20-Nov-18 18:59:27

Bulgaria! We did Bulgaria in 400pp for a week and whilst the snow isn't as fluffy it's great for a beginner.

If you ever find yourself wanting to go somewhere more expensive, Megeve is fantastic. SO pricey though. We went for DH 30th.

For now, Bulgaria or Austria definitely your best bet.

I've been snowboarding for 20 years smile

emmar88 Tue 20-Nov-18 19:29:16

Thanks ! Will look into Austria

massistar Wed 21-Nov-18 12:31:43

£750 pp for 4 nights in January is eminently doable!
Morzine is good for beginners. As is Samoens which is prettier and close to Geneva for cheap flights and short transfers!

emmar88 Wed 21-Nov-18 13:46:10

Thanks! I've found good deals (flights and accommodation) to Morzine.

How is best going about paying for lift pass/lessons and ski hire?

Last time I skied I booked a package so didn't have to think about booking any of the above !

rookiemere Wed 21-Nov-18 18:44:13

You can pre book ski and boot hire online - will usually get a good discount, see if you can find one where you leave ski boots and skis overnight so you don't need to trudge home with them.
You can buy ski pass online but probably as easy to do when you get there.

massistar Wed 21-Nov-18 19:06:54

Yep definitely do ski hire before. I seem to remember there being a ski hire shop near the bottom of the gondola where you could leave your skis at the end of the day.

Ski pass easy enough.. just rock up when you get there.

cestlavielife Wed 21-Nov-18 22:46:25

Book him to a learn to ski in a day /four hours at a snow dome or dry slope before going.

emmar88 Thu 22-Nov-18 07:40:25

Thanks cestlavie, already done, don't want to waste any time!!

OKhitmewithit Sat 24-Nov-18 11:24:55

Courmayeur is good for a short trip
Likewise La Tour in Chamonix

CanYouHearThePeopleSing Sun 25-Nov-18 16:24:22

Les Gets (next resort along to Morzine) has more beginner runs than Morzine. We skied between the 2 a lot, but I think lessons for beginners would have been better in Les Gets. Lovely area though!

France tends to be a lot more expensive on the mountain though - we have found Italy and Austria to be much better cost wise. You can beat a lovely wood fired pizza or bowl of fresh pasta on a lunch stop.

emmar88 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:49:03

Thanks! We are set with Morzine (I'm not a beginner so seems like a nice balance)

Now to find a hotel... did you stay in Morzine ? Can you recommend any hotels close to the ski school?

rookiemere Mon 26-Nov-18 17:40:53

We went with www.Simply-Morzine.co.uk this summer and stayed in their hotel. It was a bit out of town, but otherwise good - if you go on their website they have some discounts on the chalets for January so may be able to come within budget.

Their prices include transfers and also they'll ensure that you're kitted out and ready to start skiing asap and give you advice on things - its a bit like a package holiday without the flight element.

If not that then Morzine is not huge and is well served by the ski bus so I'm sure you'll find something good. Eating out is expensive - we were glad that we were half board although wine was dear at the hotel as well.

emmar88 Mon 26-Nov-18 17:55:32

Thanks that's helpful! I really don't want to be getting on a bus though so need to be close to ski school, it's hard to tell what it's actually close !

BabyG2004 Tue 27-Nov-18 14:09:59

My husband and I stayed in Hotel Alpen Roc for 6 days last year - half board. Lovely pool & hot tub, close to all amenities and included transfer back to Geneva. Would recommend.

BabyG2004 Tue 27-Nov-18 14:15:00

PS - love Morzine have been 5 times in last 4 years, New Years, Easter week & midweek. Skied over to Les Gets & Nyon everyday. Didn't go to Avoriaz but easily accessible via ski lift. Great for newbies as well as intermediates.

emmar88 Tue 27-Nov-18 19:17:10

Thanks Babyg2004 - I've booked les Arielles as looks close to ESF ski school so hoping that will be a good base to stay.

Applejack87 Wed 28-Nov-18 17:43:53

Which resort in Austria is close to the airport please ?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in