Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been to Norway at Easter?

(10 Posts)
rainbowfudgee Sat 25-Aug-18 14:54:21

Wondering how it compares to France price wise?
I'm concerned about having enough snow as Easter is late next year.
2 children age 5 and 8, DH is a beginner. I'm advanced but happy to ski easy slopes to keep the peace.

What would a rough budget be for a week? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
PowerPlayed Sat 25-Aug-18 14:56:45

I went years ago so can't give much advice on budget other than accommodation was cheaper than France but eating and drinking more.

It was also really 'REALLY^ cold!!

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon Sat 25-Aug-18 20:24:52

If you do want France, my MIL skies every year at val therons late in April (she has flown out before on 23 April which is the end of the school holidays this year) and because its so high there's never been a problem with the snow coverage.

rainbowfudgee Sat 25-Aug-18 20:36:07

Yes I have heard Val Thorens has good amounts of snow.
I need to sell the ski holiday idea to DH... are we talking 5k for a week including flights and lift passes or 3k for example? Has to be in school holidays 😣

OP’s posts: |
BlackLambAndGreyFalcon Sat 25-Aug-18 20:52:56

We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child. We ski in Austria at Christmas (Also tied to school holidays) and it usually comes in around the £2-2.5k mark. All DIY though rather than a package holiday. I don't know how val thorens or Norway compares but Norway will definitely be pricer for alcohol if that's a consideration.

Yikesisthatmeinthemirror Wed 29-Aug-18 19:19:27

VT is quite pricey. It is so snow sure it commands a massive premium. We went Whistler for less!

bluetrees Fri 14-Sep-18 08:11:00

I am a family of four and I budget 1K per person. I skiied sweden in the last week of the season a few years ago and snow cover was still great. Bit slushy at the bottom but nothing too bad. I've seen some really good priced self catering apartments in Sweden. I think food and drink will be pricey though.

Loopy9 Fri 14-Sep-18 14:09:08

I budget £1k per person too, although this year I think it’s going to £1.2k.. catered chalet, flights, lessons, ski hire, ski pass & transfers. We’ve only been to France at Easter, Arc2000 was great last year, but we’ve had great Easter skiing in La Plagne & La Rosiere too

SkiGirl007 Wed 26-Sep-18 13:02:17

Typically been £3-3.5k diy self catering in school hols it does depend on what amount of ski school/childcare you need. My eldest doesn’t need lessons now which has reduced costs, but youngest does plus we hire all equipment which typically adds another £300. The value of the Euro with Brit Exit is could have big impact later in season? The cost of food etc was noticeable a lot more last year due to E v £

drspouse Wed 24-Oct-18 12:01:25

We went a while back pre-DC with my brother who had at the time one toddler (so he and SIL and my DM just took it in turns to babysit)
They were on a budget (aka happy for us to pay for everything) and we were self catering and the food was, TBF, pretty expensive.
We went just after an early Easter Norwegian school holidays and the snow was really, really churned up though thankfully there was a fresh fall while we were there.
There are some pop-up resorts that only do school holidays - I know Esprit do them - not as many facilities, maybe worth checking those out?

We are going to N. America in the Easter holidays this year (due to my work, I can't go in half term, and school are usually OK with us taking the first or the last week of term for this); Easter is very late this year meaning that even the last week of term is still April, but snow should be OK. Accommodation and food, as well as ski lessons/childcare seem competitive with Esprit (which is what we are used to) - we will also see family/friends and overall flights plus the skiing will be more or less the same as Europe but we will have the additional time with family/friends.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in