Talk

Advanced search

Alps trip Dec 18 - mix of intermediate and beginner skiers

(10 Posts)
crunchadaffodil Tue 13-Feb-18 19:00:56

Would love to hear some suggestions/recommendations please of family friendly ski towns that would have other things to do (have seen a water park in Avoriaz for example) for those of us who are very happy to give skiing a go, but realistically will not be swooshing down the slopes every day.

We plan to drive there, so will have a car, and so we could go out of a main town a bit, but would love to be able to walk to things too. I suppose a town with lots of snow, and things to do would be good, and if we had to drive to a ski slope itself, that wouldn't be too bad, but ultimately, arriving in the car then ditching it and walking for the week would be ideal.

Obviously a beautiful log cabin with a roaring fire for 7 people (3 bedrooms) would be ideal, but I expect that I'll have to lower my expectations a bit to suit budgets, but if any of you have suggestions for specific accommodation too, that would be very welcome.

Any suggestions for town/area/houses/apartments would be gratefully received! TIA

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 13-Feb-18 22:00:52

How about going a bit off piste dreadful pun and Finland? Other activities are excellent, skiing is easy, English speaking for lessons is brilliant, log fires on each slope to roast marshmallows or local sausages. Huts to warm yourself if it's cold with open fires. Sledging, huskeys, northern lights, sauna in your forest log cabin.
We went to see Santa and he was so brilliant, I'm now convinced he's real grin
There was so much snow the trees made me think of Narnia!
If you can't tell, we loved it! It was also surprisingly cost effective - cheaper than France, short flight and a 20min transfer.

We went to Ruka, but Levi also has a good reputation. Ruka has sodium lights so you ski under lights. It's amazing being on the mountain at sunrise.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 13-Feb-18 22:04:20

A few snaps. Oh and yes it is cold, but because the air is dry, it didn't feel so bad... plus you can go in the huts and warm up.

crunchadaffodil Wed 14-Feb-18 14:09:30

Ooh hadn't thought of that - sounds amazing. Would have to convince myself to get on a plane (was one of the reasons for going to the Alps, so that we could drive), but it does look fantastic. I'll do a bit of research on that.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 14-Feb-18 14:38:30

I could bore you some more! We went with Crystal Ski and stayed in Ruka apartments.
I did take some pasta and pesto and cereal with me as I was concerned about food prices, but the supermarket was the same price as here.
Eating out at mid range places was about the same price as here, but better end was pricey.

May I suggest diazepam to get there... grin

crunchadaffodil Thu 15-Feb-18 21:49:22

Diazepam has been suggested to me a few times now - just always worry about feeling out of control (not that you ever have any control in a plane!!), but I do need to do something about the fear before I resign myself to driving everywhere!

Anyone got any other suggestions for drivable distance places, while I try to convince myself to consider planes?

Muchtoomuchtodo Fri 16-Feb-18 08:59:10

Having skied at Christmas a few times with variable snow conditions I would recommend going somewhere around 2000m.

Avoriaz like you say fits the bill, Tignes (Le lac / val claret) too. Both have a good pool and walks, husky rides, paragliding etc available.

We've found the solution room on the chalets direct website good for finding the right sized chalets from smaller operators who might not advertise elsewhere.

If you're going to drive, make sure you have winter tyres on the car and have snow chains that you know how to put on. Traffic to and from resorts can be very busy and bad weather can turn a simple journey into a nightmare (12 hours on a bus from Tignes to Geneva at the end of Christmas week this year was pretty common).

crunchadaffodil Fri 16-Feb-18 20:52:35

Muchtoomuchtodo - thanks very much - that's really helpful. I'll have a look at that website. Thanks for the tip about the car too!

tailsandscales Sat 17-Feb-18 16:02:22

I love Avoriaz, May be my favourite resort but it’s car free so not ideal if you are driving. You could drive to les Prodains underneath Avoriaz which has a cable car right into Avoriaz. Morzine, nearby is also easy to drive to, lots of things to do in resort. Lots of accommodation for various budgets.
Both resorts are very family friendly, lots of blues for beginners and intermediates. Morzine is low tho, so gets slushy/muddy from mid-march.

tailsandscales Sat 17-Feb-18 16:07:43

Missed the December bit, PdS in general is a bit risky in December, although even Morzine was very snowy this December.
To be safe go as high as possible, what much said, also look at la Plagne (maybe Plagne Bellecote)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: