Talk

Advanced search

ski school help?

(15 Posts)
skischoolhelp Mon 05-Feb-18 13:52:53

It was recommended I move this post. Hopefully this is OK way to do it.
Looking for help with ski school in April. Ideally 9am to 4pm English speaking only groups in snow sure area.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3159406-AIBU-to-think-I-should-be-able-to-find-English-ski-school-for-full-days-in-April?watched=1&msgid=75384680#75384680

Thank you.

jellybeanteaparty Mon 05-Feb-18 16:39:18

Is it for children?
Ski esprit offers full day care and full days ski school for the older or more skilled ski-er I am sure other companies for families offer the same.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 05-Feb-18 17:58:21

British ski schools in Tignes and Whistler. All high and snow sure for April

9-3 in Whistler
Not sure about Tignes, but 9-1 more common
Cervinia,club Med all day, or private lessons cheaper than France, not English though in Club Med

Solden might also be worth a look Austria go for all day lessons more than France. Not sure if British school

skischoolhelp Mon 05-Feb-18 18:23:58

Sorry it is for children and I don't need lunch time cover. Last year they had lessons 9 - 12 then 1 to 4 and they all wanted to ski longer than that. Shorter lessons give too much non skiing time as I cant ski any longer for medical reasons and don't want them to ski alone. Sadly the holiday needs to be done on a budget so club med/private lessons etc are totally out. The full cost last year for 5 was less than for one with club med and they had 9 full days skiing but we drive and take own food and use very cheap accommodation so the only expense is lift pass and lessons and I don't ski. Will try to investigate Austria.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 05-Feb-18 18:48:06

Private all day lessons in Cervinia for 4 kids was cheaper than 3 hour groups for all 4 in France, but I take your point.

You will struggle with groups lessons for the PM in Tignes I think, but worth talking to the British school.

There is also a British school in Baqueria Beret, but not sure how snow sure it is. They are linked to www.skinspired.co.uk Rosie is very helpful. BB is great value. To be honest compared to France, anywhere is great value!

stringbean Mon 05-Feb-18 19:54:11

If you're thinking of Tignes (high, snow-sure) have a look at Evolution 2. They will do lessons from 9-12 and 2-5. They're not English speaking only but, in practice, most of the kids will be British if you're going at Easter. All the instructors speak good English, and our kids really enjoyed the lessons in Val Claret. The classes are limited to maximum of 8, but one year dd did a class with only 3 or 4 kids - the first day there were only 2 of them. We do v similar ski holidays to you - drive, self-cater - and always rent an apartment close to the ski school meeting point. It's always worked out well for us, although we've only ever needed half day lessons.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 05-Feb-18 21:26:06

I second Evo2, that's who we used and they were great. It's a good point that most kids will be British anyway.

stringbean Tue 06-Feb-18 08:08:20

Evolution 2 also have a Junior Academy and Teen Xtreme classes for older kids. Ds did the Junior Academy one year and they did something different every day eg. off-piste one day, snow park the next, a day of moguls etc. He wasn't the best skier by a long way but had a great time, and his skiing and confidence really came on in leaps and bounds that week. Only downside was that we were staying in VC and he had to go to Le Lac for lessons as there weren't enough kids to make up a class in VC, so does depend on the week you're there.

skischoolhelp Tue 06-Feb-18 09:17:47

Thank you for your help, all suggestions welcome.

skischoolhelp Tue 13-Feb-18 14:42:00

Booked New Generation in Les Arcs 2000 for 4 hour lessons each morning and they have guaranteed they will go ahead as enough kids are booked. They are not doing afternoons so will book afternoon lessons with a different ski school. No one will guarantee to run their afternoon lessons as no one has enough kids booked on yet not even ESF. Only options at the moment appear to be ESF or EVO2 in 1950, both of which offer 2.5 hour lessons. Going to have to risk it and if they cancel pay for private lessons which will blow the budget totally. Any recommendations for cheap accommodation in Les Arcs 1950 or 2000. Any success with Owners Direct or any other sites?? Thanks very much.

Serin Tue 13-Feb-18 15:07:27

Private lessons might be cheaper depending on the number of children you have! smile We had an ESF private teacher for our 3 and it was actually cheaper than putting them into the school.

I think she was willing to teach groups of up to 5 individuals so you could even hook up with another family if you know others who are going?

NorthernLurker Tue 13-Feb-18 15:13:24

Di you have a friend or relation who would come with you at your expense, ski alone in the morning and ski with your kids in the afternoon? If you are renting an apartment it might work out cheaper that way.

skischoolhelp Tue 13-Feb-18 16:36:33

Northern Lurker - that was my thought or even just anyone would work but we don't know anyone and it is all getting too late to be advertising but I think it could be an option for future years as the situation wont get better until we let the kids ski alone.

Serin You are probably right but we need the kids in separate lessons and we don't know anyone else going. Also my daughter loved the friendships/company last year as she is really social hence our swapping one of my sons into the private lessons if we have to do them.

Any thoughts on accommodation??

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 13-Feb-18 21:50:08

I think Lovetoskimum goes to Les Arc every year. Sure if you PM'd her she'd help you with suggestions.

Ragusa Wed 14-Feb-18 18:33:07

This may be an odd suggestion but you could contact a local school with a sixth form and see if a ski mad AS year pupil might be up for it. You could give them cash, they would get to ski half days alone for nothing and the other half day with your kids. That would be a great deal for a teen. Providing they are not swotting for exams and your kids are over... I dunno? 7, 8?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: