Talk

Advanced search

Alternative ski resort suggestions please...if we like Portes du Soleil we might also like ...???

(16 Posts)
Florabelle Sat 03-Feb-18 12:44:19

Morning all. Just about to start planning a 2019 ski trip for a large group to celebrate a few big birthdays.
Mainly adults who have all skied before and a few children plus a few non-skiers who are happy to potter about.
We will be looking at renting a large chalet somewhere.
We don’t go skiing abroad every year but have been a few times to Morzine/Montriond/Les Gets which has always been great.
We are happy to consider anywhere, but would love suggestions. Ideally large ski area to satisfy the experts but nice easy runs as well for the less adventurous.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated as a starting point to google.

Abra1de Sat 03-Feb-18 12:45:57

Les Trois Vallees?

Meribel/Courcheval/Val Thorens.

godricshollow Sat 03-Feb-18 23:01:54

Yes 3V fabulous and not too long a transfer. Would say Val dIsere but transfer a lot longer than you are used to!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 03-Feb-18 23:02:34

When are you going? It makes quite a difference

lizkt Sat 03-Feb-18 23:04:10

Go to Le Grand Massif area and stay in Les Carroz - bit closer to Geneva than Portes du Soleil.

I also like Megeve/St Gervais very much.

Florabelle Sun 04-Feb-18 00:54:01

Thanks everyone. Quite flexible on when we go. Probably avoid school holidays, so thinking late Feb/early March

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 04-Feb-18 08:46:20

The world is your oyster then really. We go for our girls trip then yes I said girls not women it's a great time as everywhere is good.

Grand massif I agree is great location and good at that time.

I also love Les arc/ la plagne and it's great for a mixed group although transfers are longer.

Dolomites is also always a good place - think Massi is the person on here who knows that area.

St Anton and all the linked areas is also great. Loads to go at.

However if I was free of school holidays and it was a big birthday, I'd be going to (in order of preference:

1) Park City in Utah - because it's now got direct flights. Great ski area and fab mix of terrain. My BIL and PIL ski it every year but school hols are a problem. When the DC are older we'll do a week in half term
2) Niseko Japan - amazing country and looks beautiful.
3) Vail Colorado - loved other Colorado ski resorts but not been
4) Big White/ Jackson Hole - both involve a lot of travel though.

Whistler too is great and we had a big birthday in a huge chalet with a server/chef/hot tub and the enthusiasm of yooof. Totally totally brilliant holiday. The exchange rate is also OK so good value at the moment.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 04-Feb-18 08:47:16

I'm addicted to skiing though if you can't tell by the amount of time I spend talking about it on this board

Abra1de Sun 04-Feb-18 19:18:30

I love it too. We should have a MN 🎿 trip to some lucky resort with well-stocked bars 😆

superking Sun 04-Feb-18 19:23:03

You could always try the other side of the Portes du Soleil, if you haven't skied it much already? Chatel/ Morgins / Abondance. It's a bit quieter than the Morzine/ Les Gets side and has some lovely runs. Also a shorter transfer from Geneva.

FairyPenguin Sun 04-Feb-18 19:33:57

The Dolomites are great for the variety you are looking for. The World Cup runs, the Sella Ronda and World War circuits for the adventurers, as well as the lovely blue area in Corvara for beginners. Ski school very good too.

Florabelle Sun 04-Feb-18 19:36:52

Thanks everyone. Been busy today so just checked back in. Plenty to google !!

elastamum Sun 04-Feb-18 19:37:51

If you have non skiers as well, Zermatt is fabulous - and fabulously expensive!

MrsJoshDun Sun 04-Feb-18 19:40:11

Belle plagne or Les Arcs. They link up with the vanoise express. Great skiing both sides.

massistar Tue 06-Feb-18 12:29:19

We go to the Dolomites every year. Have been to Canazei, Sesto and Moena mainly. The food is amazing and so much cheaper than France. The people are much friendlier too!

Only downside is that the resorts tend to be a bit smaller so look for one where you can link in to the Sellaronda circuit for the more advanced skiers. We’ve never really bothered as the kids were a bit young. We were getting a bit bored in Sesto by the end of the week this year but the amazing conditions made up for it!

Chickenagain Wed 07-Feb-18 12:12:14

St Gervais Les Bains in the Mont Blanc region. SG is connected to Megeve, lots of good lifts, tram to Les Houches, Les Contamines by bus. It is truly fabulous (but don't tell everyone - too good to share).
Chamonix is 20 minutes if you are coming by car.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: