Advanced search

Best place to buy ski boots?

(7 Posts)
AnneAndBarry Sat 13-Jan-18 12:41:26

Looking at buying a pair of ski boots. What's the best option to get a good price? I have a Snow+Rock near where I live, but I will be in Austria in Feb so could buy there either.

Joey7t8 Sun 14-Jan-18 08:57:13

Where in the UK do you live? Snow and Rock staff are often not particularly knowledgable, and ski boot fitting is a job requiring a fair bit of expertise and experience.

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Jan-18 09:06:18

I git mine from Snow and Rock in Sheffield (before the Ski Centre burnt down!) and found the staff extremely knowledgable. They advise which makes/styles would suit my foot shake and skiing style, and thermo-fitted them.

DH has had success at Ellis Brigham too, at Xscape in Castleford. Maybe staff at shops attached to artificial slopes are most knowledgable?

Having said that, the worst fitting boots either of us have ever bought were in Breckenridge resort itself !

turkeyboots Sun 14-Jan-18 16:05:05

Ellis Brigham offer readjusting for free for a year, which is useful as mine have needed adjusting twice.

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 14-Jan-18 21:21:37

I bought mine at our local ski shop in South Wales and was really pleased at the service that I received there.
I was advised to try to wear them for ironing, cooking etc before going as there would be some give in the linings and I may require an adjustment. I didn't but it's a good idea not to leave it to the last minute for this reason.

dameofdilemma Mon 15-Jan-18 10:22:12

I bought my first pair from Decathalon (knowledgeable, helpful staff) but two days into skiing found they weren't quite right. I then hired a pair that were perfect and almost brand new. At the end of the week the hire shop did a swap.

Its really hard to tell if ski boots are quite right without skiing in them, in my view. I'd hire, try out, then buy either from the hire shop or buy a new pair of the same brand/type.

godricshollow Sat 27-Jan-18 09:05:09

After a number of weeks I knew pretty well what suited me in terms of size and brand. I bought online from Snow & Rock at the end of the season and they have a year guarantee as well. I had them adjusted in store recently and have tried them at Hemel for a couple of hours. They feel great so far...
Of course the snow heads forum will tell you you have to go to two specific guys at opposite ends of the country, etc for proper fitting. But them I'm not racing, just want a comfy week or two per year and not to be sloshing round in them. My husband has generally bought in resort but it works out really expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now