Talk

Advanced search

2.5 year old skiing

(12 Posts)
LizbetRobin Fri 05-Jan-18 18:55:59

We are going skiing with our 4yo, 14 week old (I'm not skiing, just looking after him) and my 2.5yo.

Has anyone put their 2yo in to ski lessons. He's been potty trained for 6 months now and he would be with his 4 yo sister.

Any advise? We're going to La Rosiere in the three valleys

TIA!grin

OP’s posts: |
Helspopje Fri 05-Jan-18 18:59:02

I think it is more about their ability to take instruction out of sight of parents and exercise tolerance.
My dad taught me around then but we just did buts and bobs together and made a game of it.

canarypotato Fri 05-Jan-18 19:02:45

Ski lessons generally start from 3 or 4. I’m not sure if the school would legally be able to take a 2.5 yr old. Best to call and ask. We are going to avoriaz and the ski school told me 4 years min age but they’d take an almost 4 year old but I’d have to lie about the dob on the application form...! If not there should be a crèche which would probably do some outdoor snow activities.

LIZS Fri 05-Jan-18 19:04:48

La Rosiere isn't in the Trois Vallees confusedime under 5s can struggle with the equipment and cold and have a short attention span. So put them in a ski-kindergarten where they can play outside but retreat indoors to play or nap. Some skischools won't accept los for lessons. Hire skis but be prepared for very little progress other than a few slides and stomping bursting balloons. Don't hold your 4 yo back if she seems keen but again she may not be that confident and prefer to play instead.

LizbetRobin Fri 05-Jan-18 20:52:45

Haha... I'm not sure where it is 😂 but whenever I type it in google it seems to be nowhere near Val D'Isere etc. It comes up with a La Rosiere on the west coast!! But I'm assured it is somewhere in those mountains!

Im not expecting anything drastic with him learning but I don't want to put him in a crèche as I'm happy to have him, I just wanted him to have some guided outdoor play while I have my hands full with baby.

It's probably a no, insurance thing is a good point, ive emailed ESF so we'll see. My daughter's quite shy so thought having him there would settle her more as her cousins will be in the older group as have done it a few times before. I will see if he can do a few hours in the kindergarten just don't want to have to book full morning session. Her group lessons are only 2 hours long.

My SIL is convincing me this isn't going to be a disaster but it's not working. We shall see!

OP’s posts: |
PatriciaHolm Fri 05-Jan-18 21:03:53

At that age ESF will put him in the baby club, Les Galopins, not the first ski group Piou Piou, so he won't be with your daughter I'm afraid. He should have fun in the snow though, but I don't think they go into the snowgarden for any first skiiing until 3.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 05-Jan-18 21:08:37

I think you'd have to have a private lesson for that age. We found the choice of resort was quite limited as we wanted or DD's to go in classes at 3. I didn't encounter one offering lessons for younger kids. I've heard people have managed to get lessons for 2.5 though, but not sure where though.

tailsandscales Fri 05-Jan-18 21:09:51

I think ESF do some first slide special thing for under 3s in some resorts but it wasn’t proper skis, more like snow play and he wouldn’t be able to ski with his sister in club Piou Piou.

Helspopje Sat 06-Jan-18 09:11:26

What about a skinanny?
Would help with all 3 kids and keep them entertained and having fun

allthgoodusernamesaretaken Mon 08-Jan-18 14:06:11

canarypotato Lying on the application form about your child's age is risky. If your child is injured, I doubt your insurers would pay up

canarypotato Mon 08-Jan-18 22:56:36

@allth I didn’t do it. That’s just what the woman at ESF told me to do to get the application through the website.

Adelino Thu 11-Jan-18 18:10:39

2.5 year olds can learn to ski but only with 1:1 help really, so a group lesson wouldn't be appropriate.
From reading your second post I think you would be better off seeing if you can book a nanny for him to take him sledging etc. For a couple of hours.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in