Talk

Advanced search

1st family ski hols this April in Tyrol, Austria...any recomnendations for resorts/accomodation/ski instructors please??

(15 Posts)
psychmouse Thu 30-Nov-17 09:07:03

I'm looking to find easy ski holiday that suits, please help! Thanks in advance.
First family ski holiday with DH, kids age 7 and 9. We need to be in Innsbruck 4&5 April then wanting to find some easy skiing with decent snow within 1-2 hours, so Tyrol region.
Looking for everything v close - hotel or self catering (ski in and out or close to gondala, ideally 4/5*), and close to ski school offering 2 hour private lessons for the kids (English speaking).

Ideally want snow garden/kids area with magic carpet for kids (never skied). Again all close to ski lift/gondola with easy wide runs (we're beginner/rusty novice).

Our day will be: kids in private morning lesson then lunch together, with family time in afternoon, relax in evening with kids early dinner/bed. Swimming pool and winter fun activities would be brilliant. No need for nightlife, staying in!

Any recommendations of resorts with good late snow, accomodation and ski instructors would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sculler Thu 30-Nov-17 17:26:52

my family went to Kirchdorf in Tirol for 17 years. brilliant ski school (SkiSchule TOTAL) with beginners learning on site and frequent ski bus to St Johann. Kitzbuhl, Fieberbrunn and Steinplatt. We always stayed at the Hotel Das Seiwald which I recommend highly. swimming pool, sauna and steam, sports centre (tennis, table tennis, gym) and half board.

Mary21 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:36:45

You will need to go high or have a glacier to be sure of snow, or book last minute.
A few years back we went to the Stubai glacier in April. Fantastic snow. Good ski school club Micky mouse. We stayed in Neustift which was a bit of a schlep on the ski bus each day but if you can find somewhere to stay closer to the glacier it could be good. My Ds remember that the swimming pool slide in Neustift had lights in it!

psychmouse Fri 01-Dec-17 20:35:58

Many thanks. I'll go check it out

psychmouse Fri 01-Dec-17 20:36:25

Many thanks. I checked it out and it looks great but all booked up for my dates. Maybe next time if skiing is a hit!

psychmouse Fri 01-Dec-17 20:37:12

Many thanks. I checked it out and it looks great but all booked up for my dates. Maybe next time if skiing is a hit!

user1471548375 Fri 01-Dec-17 20:38:38

Söll, huge ski area, great snow, hotel Postwirt has an outdoor heated pool too.

user1471548375 Fri 01-Dec-17 20:39:21

Don't know what the snow is like that late though.

Tokelau Fri 01-Dec-17 20:40:14

Go to Scheffau, as they have the Kinderkaiserland with Bobo the penguin. It’s wonderful for small children. I’m not sure it’s ok for April though. If you want great ski instructor, look up Chris Thomas in Scheffau, he’s a great instructor and a very nice man.

MaryWortleyMontagu Fri 01-Dec-17 20:57:49

Serfaus definitely! We go every year. It's 60 minutes from Innsbruck by car (Or train to landeck and post bus via public transport). It's not glacier, but it's the best next thing. They reliably open early December to mid/end April (depending on Easter date). We skied first week of April this year with all runs open and no problem with snow coverage - the runs were open all the way down to the village and even the last run of the day was absolutely fine. It is completely orientated around children. The kinderschneealm has loads of magic carpets and other fun stuff. The ski instructors speak English. The village is small and all facilities are near the gondolas up the mountain. We leave our skis and boots at the lockers by the gondola. There is a free underground train which runs from one end to the other of the village. Austria as a whole doesn't have much ski in ski out accomodation but this is really the next best thing. Serfaus would definitely tick all your boxes and I can highly recommend it.

SueSueDonahue Fri 01-Dec-17 21:08:42

You're going to have to be really careful where that late! It's really really late for snow. And you almost certainly won't get ski in ski out unless you stay right at the top of a mountain, which is often pricey.

I'd seriously rethink either country or timings as learning to ski for your kids if it's a massive trek first for (fake) snow is not ideal.

We ski now that late occasionally, but I wouldn't have risked it when the kids were learning. We did last year in Eastern Europe. It is so much harder to ski on ice and slush, and it was a half hour trip on a gondola to get to the snow. My children couldn't have actually learnt on it I don't think.

We ski in Austria every year too, and we go earlier in the season as it's a lower altitude where we go.

LIZS Fri 01-Dec-17 21:10:13

Seefeld or Obertauern.

massistar Sat 02-Dec-17 16:52:32

We loved Scheffau and had a fab hotel but it's not very high and struggled for snow even in Feb last year.

tailsandscales Tue 05-Dec-17 13:17:59

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl? It’s a bit further, maybe 2 hours from Innsbruck but it’s snow sure in April and has everything else you’re asking for.

psychmouse Tue 05-Dec-17 20:35:46

Thanks all. I reckon Obergurgle is a go-er. (Plus it has a brilliant name!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: