Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Norway

(4 Posts)
SunshineHQ Mon 16-Oct-17 17:25:54

Has anyone skied in Norway before?

Have booked flights to Oslo for mid February, as I wanted to try Norway rather than Alps or USA for a change.

Will be cross country and downhill skiing. Was currently thinking of Lillehammer or Geilo.

Any advice very welcome. Will be just me this trip, as children will be with their Dad, so any lone traveller tips welcome in particular. But if I liked it, would return with DS11 and DD9 another time.

Thank you !

RubyWinterstorm Sat 28-Oct-17 19:26:38

I went 20 years ago.

Remember liking it, but the thing to remember is that it gets dark early there. So it's a short day.

Cross country skiing fab.

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Mon 30-Oct-17 14:51:23

I've been to Geilo twice. It's great for beginners and young children. Really quiet wide slopes and no queues for the lifts. I wouldn't go again though, as now we are all more experienced it isn't challenging enough.
We went in the Feb half term and there was enough daylight to ski until 4.30 - 5.
Very cold! Take plenty of layers and hand warmers!

TunaStubbs Tue 31-Oct-17 19:00:50

Went to Geilo last year. Great fun, nice people superb skills area. Despite initial reticence, we spent all week (gingerly to begin with) doing jumps, rail slides, steps half pipes etc.

Wide, empty pistes. Trees. And the Hoth scenes from Empire Strikes Back were filmed up the road.

Brilliant kids’ club / instructors. Will probably go again.

Full disclosure; I’ve worked a lot in Norway and like it there. Also unusually for where we live (northern Scotland) we can get direct flights to Bergen / Oslo then the stunning train journey to the resort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now