Talk

Advanced search

Whistler reassurance please!

(25 Posts)
boris18 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:06:26

We are spending Christmas in Whistler this year and I am panicking that the weather will be rainy and there won't be any snow. It is a very expensive trip, an incredible treat, and was planned to cater for the needs of a family with varying ages of children together with skiers and non skiers.

I have started to obsessively read weather statistics for December and am terrified that I have made a major mistake and we should have booked for Banff/Lake Louise. We chose Whistler on the basis that it would be very "christmassy" and with lots of things to do.

It is all booked now and can't be changed. Please help me calm down and not spend the next two ,months in a state of high anxiety...Spending this kind of money on a holiday is a new experience and I am so worried that it will be wasted. Please be kind; I know we are very lucky to be having this kind of holiday and I am being both ridiculous and self indulgent but I feel awful...

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 17-Oct-17 22:02:22

We went last Xmas and it was so good we are heading back.

They have snow making, you will ski
The hill is a mile high, it has a glacier, you will ski
I did a lot of research before we went, and yes, we were extremely lucky with the 1metre of snow that fell, but I decided on balance that the very very small chance of rubbish skiing, was better than the high chance of -30 (or lower)?at lake Louise.

Book any activities you want - zip wires, coke tube park, tree top walk, fresh tracks (great on NY Day), lessons etc as it will be busy.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 17-Oct-17 22:05:00

Have a look here: www.onthesnow.co.uk/british-columbia/whistler-blackcomb/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2013

It only starts recording on Dec, but clearly has snowfall each year.

boris18 Wed 18-Oct-17 09:56:05

Thanks for answering. I was getting myself in a state. I am fairly confident that the skiing will be good, it was more that it might be miserable and rainy in the village and not feel "christmassy" at all. I think that because it is so expensive and such an unusual expense for us that I am trying to make everything perfect. We have booked husky ride, snowmobile, bobsleigh and zipline already. Do you have any insider tips for other "must dos"?

Thanks again for answering, a bit of reassurance is a big help

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 18-Oct-17 19:04:18

The Coca-Cola Tubes are worth an hour of your time. The kids loved it and so did we Dd5 cried on the black run on the tubes but we'll ignore that

The ice skating is good too, the Fire and Ice show is worth a look.

The bobsleigh ride at the Olympic park was IMMENSE! It was such a great experience. You won't regret booking that. My DH said he'll do the skeleton next time, but we'll see! I think I peaked as 3rd seat in the bob.

Wandering around Iooking at the Xmas lights in the village was great. Our apartment complex was also very festive.

The great glass elevator sweet shop was a hit with the kids.

The cinnamon rolls up the hill are awesome and must be sampled regularly! So is the chips cheese and gravy according to our friend, the name escapes me, but it was like a whole new culinary experience not sure it would travel

We had some great dining too, Rim Rock Cafe is a treat. We went for pizza for Christmas dinner though as the kids said that's what they wanted.

We used Whistlers Nannies o give the little ones an afternoon off and they were very good.

Did it feel festive? well yes the fizz for breakfast and the fact that Santa managed to deliver a stocking, meant it was. I can't say that all the restaurants up the hill had trees up or I didn't notice but the village def majored on it.

As you can tell my main driver is the skiing. I'm not that bothered by Xmas itself so I can't say I was really sensitive to it, but I think you'll have a great time.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 18-Oct-17 19:07:48

One word of caution: check the grooming map, not just the trail/piste map. We ended up on an ungroomed black diamond on day one. The App is excellent so worth downloading.

mumprocrastinating Thu 19-Oct-17 01:43:03

Download the Whistler app, then you can keep an eye on the snowfall. It’s snowing there right now!

theancientmarinader Thu 19-Oct-17 01:54:36

Poutine, lol.
The last time I went to Whistler was at Christmas and it was below -25 before wind chill. They were giving out free hot chocolate at the gondola station in an attempt to keep people alive grin
Sunshine is our nearest hill though, so I'm biased.

BradleyPooper Thu 19-Oct-17 01:55:56

An old friend of mine lives in whistler and posted photos of her balcony covered in several inches of snow today....

boris18 Thu 19-Oct-17 12:18:42

You have all been really kind...Thank you for the reassurance and the tips

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 19-Oct-17 13:06:22

That's it Poutine! I was assured it was lovely... perhaps I'll try it next time. grin

rainbowjoy Thu 19-Oct-17 13:58:18

Another one here who's going back to Whistler this Xmas after spending last year there. We stayed Blackcomb side slightly quieter but either bused or walked into Whistler village most evenings. We loved it obviously hence going back.
It is Christmassy but actually on the mountain Xmas day could be any old day. We ate at 21 steps great food middle to high end prices but worth it for our Xmas dinner.
It was busy but after 26th it was crazily busy we would get up and out early then come in earlier wander around town early dinner, bed early by 10 suited us. You may be more apres skiers than us !!!
It was cold but manageable. Plenty of snow I wouldn't worry check out the webcams.
I would book restaurants now though as most were difficult or impossible to get into without reservations and if there is a group of you. Look through trip advisor for recommendations at least you are covered. You can get pizza delivered or there are some dine in options, supermarkets if you want to cook.
Didn't do the cola run thing but did go ice skating, walked to the skeleton track, skied, ate, chilled, people watched, enjoyed the atmosphere and scenery.
Are you on a package or did you book yourself ?

boris18 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:26:59

We arranged it through Trailfiinders. Staying at the Chateau Fairmont...hence the ludicrous cost. We are a very mixed group in terms of age range and physicality so I am trying to please everyone...
Can I ask advice about kit? Don't really want to get snow boots so would good walking boots be ok in the village etc? Are snow boots essential?

SweetChickadee Thu 19-Oct-17 16:29:16

ooh the Fairmont - lovely!

Walking boots would be fine I'd think. The village pavements will be cleared of snow. Just wear warm socks.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 19-Oct-17 19:45:38

I agree, walking boots are fine. It was snowing in town and covered the paths, but honestly, I have been skiing for over 20 years and only ever taken walking boots. Same for the kids once they were beyond toddler age.

The Faimont will be be like a grotto! I went there pre DC for a spa day when we were in town, it was luuuuuush ...and I don't really like taking a day off skiing!

boris18 Thu 19-Oct-17 21:25:38

Gosh I feel really excited now! It is so helpful to be able to ask questions.

Thank you everyone

expatmigrant Thu 19-Oct-17 21:50:17

Love love love Whistler! Been there many times. If you have young children with you, the Blackcomb ski school is excellent. Both my DC learned to ski there. In fact my DS is hoping to do gap year ski instructing in Whistler.

Starryskiesinthesky Fri 20-Oct-17 09:02:18

It sounds great! What sort of cost is it to go for a week at Christmas? Can you ski on Christmas Day?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 20-Oct-17 15:50:04

Yes you can ski Xmas day - it's mandatory grin

Never priced a week I'm afraid, we always go for longer. I can tell you though, per night it gets cheaper than Europe if you go for long enough!

rainbowjoy Thu 16-Nov-17 17:15:57

Webcams looking good for all those Christmas skiers. Whistler is opening early. It can only get better.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 19-Nov-17 21:30:45

Yes I had a snow alert today grin

boris18 Sun 14-Jan-18 12:16:08

Just to let everyone know that we had a wonderful holiday. Loads of snow, lots of different activities for the non skiers and the resort is very well suited to a multi generational group. It was expensive but for a special holiday well worth it. I am a convert to Canada! Found everyone so friendly and the instructors were superb. Thank you to all who supported me in my pre holiday potential no snow panic

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 14-Jan-18 14:30:39

Glad you had a great time, fab isn't it?! I can't wait until Easter and we'll all be going back.

user1494670108 Tue 16-Jan-18 10:13:45

I "know" (through facebook) someone who was there for Christmas and said they'd never had such great Snow

MummaMinnie Wed 17-Jan-18 08:10:41

Glad to hear that you had such a great holiday boris18! We love Whistler and we'll be there for half term (3 weeks tomorrow!! grin ) and Easter. Normally we do France for half term but our normal skiing friends won't be there this year.

Bradley I wonder if we have the same friend - one of my Whistler friends sent photos of her balcony in October too grin Of course, sending balcony photos might be the thing to do once it starts snowing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now