Talk

Advanced search

Driving to the alps

(10 Posts)
Bombaybunty Wed 15-Mar-17 09:12:28

We're off to Val D'Isere next week.
Car and personal insurance are sorted. I have snow chains, high vis jackets, warning triangles, spare bulbs, headlight deflectors, breathalysers, first aid kit.
What else do I need in case we're stopped by a gendarme?

PatriciaHolm Wed 15-Mar-17 19:42:29

You should really carry proof of insurance and ownership of the car (V5C). Fit the deflectors on the journey over/under the channel. GB sticker unless your cyber plate already has one.

Worth remembering that France bans all mobile use whilst driving - even bluetooth/handsfree - and speed camera detectors, if you have a sat nav.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Wed 15-Mar-17 19:44:05

Change / credit cards for tolls.

citykat Wed 15-Mar-17 20:15:57

Loo roll and wipes for the 'aire' toiletssmile

PatriciaHolm Wed 15-Mar-17 21:55:07

"Loo roll and wipes for the 'aire' toilets"

And a strategy that involves never having to use them, preferably....!

Tigresswoods Wed 15-Mar-17 22:37:06

Sanef website !

Buy yourself a little in car thing or so the passenger doesn't have to wake up & pay the tolls. AND you can go through the fast late thus avoiding annoying queues.

Tigresswoods Wed 15-Mar-17 22:37:53

I bet you €5 you won't need your snow chains. However it's a requirement to have them on board. Boo

Bombaybunty Thu 16-Mar-17 07:30:05

@Tigresswoods that is exactly what I thought! But I bought them as they are a requirement. I did not buy the £300 ones.

FanDabbyFloozy Thu 16-Mar-17 07:36:38

Make sure your car recovery service covers France.

It always surprises me how remote parts of France are so we go for recovery for us as well.

mycavitiesareempty Tue 04-Apr-17 23:06:05

Deffo get the sanef bipper. Brilliant and saves loads of time.

Not for gendarmes purposes but in the unlikely event you have to put chains on a head torch is very useful as is a pair of rubber gloves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now