Talk

Advanced search

Driving to the alps

(10 Posts)
Bombaybunty Wed 15-Mar-17 09:12:28

We're off to Val D'Isere next week.
Car and personal insurance are sorted. I have snow chains, high vis jackets, warning triangles, spare bulbs, headlight deflectors, breathalysers, first aid kit.
What else do I need in case we're stopped by a gendarme?

PatriciaHolm Wed 15-Mar-17 19:42:29

You should really carry proof of insurance and ownership of the car (V5C). Fit the deflectors on the journey over/under the channel. GB sticker unless your cyber plate already has one.

Worth remembering that France bans all mobile use whilst driving - even bluetooth/handsfree - and speed camera detectors, if you have a sat nav.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Wed 15-Mar-17 19:44:05

Change / credit cards for tolls.

citykat Wed 15-Mar-17 20:15:57

Loo roll and wipes for the 'aire' toiletssmile

PatriciaHolm Wed 15-Mar-17 21:55:07

"Loo roll and wipes for the 'aire' toilets"

And a strategy that involves never having to use them, preferably....!

Tigresswoods Wed 15-Mar-17 22:37:06

Sanef website !

Buy yourself a little in car thing or so the passenger doesn't have to wake up & pay the tolls. AND you can go through the fast late thus avoiding annoying queues.

Tigresswoods Wed 15-Mar-17 22:37:53

I bet you €5 you won't need your snow chains. However it's a requirement to have them on board. Boo

Bombaybunty Thu 16-Mar-17 07:30:05

@Tigresswoods that is exactly what I thought! But I bought them as they are a requirement. I did not buy the £300 ones.

FanDabbyFloozy Thu 16-Mar-17 07:36:38

Make sure your car recovery service covers France.

It always surprises me how remote parts of France are so we go for recovery for us as well.

mycavitiesareempty Tue 04-Apr-17 23:06:05

Deffo get the sanef bipper. Brilliant and saves loads of time.

Not for gendarmes purposes but in the unlikely event you have to put chains on a head torch is very useful as is a pair of rubber gloves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: