Talk

Advanced search

Late season skiing

(21 Posts)
swearbyit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:08:50

Hi, we're considering a late season ski holiday, because of school/work commitments the only week we can do is from 8th April. We're under no illusions, it's not ideal, and if it turns in to a week of walking/swimming, so be it. However, where is half way decent at the moment? And has the possibility of late season skiing? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

SweetChickadee Tue 07-Mar-17 20:15:43

could your budget stretch to Canada? Loads of snow at the mo and they open to May

LakeFlyPie Tue 07-Mar-17 20:18:11

I think Espace Killy (Tignes + Val d'Isere) is still open week of 8th.
We were there at that time last year and the snow was good.
Even if there's been a bit of a thaw on the lower slopes the glacier will be fine.

swearbyit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:19:24

Hmm, yes, we could, just seems a bit far for a week - any opinions?? Really need a break, couldn't care less if I lay in the snow and make snow angels.

swearbyit Tue 07-Mar-17 20:20:35

Killy could work, will get on owners direct and see what's out there.

MrsRedFly Tue 07-Mar-17 21:24:25

Flaine - we were there last year & there was still plenty snow

swearbyit Tue 07-Mar-17 21:27:27

Thanks for that, will see what's available in Flaine.

MrsRedFly Tue 07-Mar-17 21:42:14

Village Club du Soleil through Inghams were good

In fact we r going back this Easter hols too

(It's full board)

swearbyit Tue 07-Mar-17 21:54:35

Oo thanks, sounds a nice option. Will have a look and see if they have anything left.

nightswimming1 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:21:36

Val Thorens?

stringbean Tue 07-Mar-17 22:53:41

We usually go to Tignes at Easter (in fact, we've just decided to go for the week of April 15th, which is later than we've been before). The resort doesn't close until early May and there has always been plenty of snow in the village (we stay in Val Claret at 2100m) but it is often spring conditions eg. icy first thing and then slushy in the afternoon at that level. Higher up, the snow is usually fine, plus there's a glacier (and a glacier in Val d'Isere if you want to go there for the day) so our motto is always to stay high (and ask the instructors where the best snow is!). It can vary though - about four years ago we went in April and had some of the best snow conditions I've ever experienced in over 20 years.

Flaine has a little micro-climate so often finishes the season with a couple of metres of snow still on the ground. The downside is that it's not as high as some of the other resorts (only 2500m) so if weather is warm you can't always escape to higher ground, and the return link to Flaine from the rest of the Grand Massif is south-facing, so tends to cut up very quickly on warm days. On the plus side, if it snows, there are plenty of trees to hide among (unlike Tignes, which is mostly above the tree line).

stringbean Tue 07-Mar-17 22:55:06

Both resorts are equally ugly grin

purplepaisley Tue 07-Mar-17 23:08:07

Norway?

Skilover Wed 08-Mar-17 15:08:00

We are going to Val Thorens on the 15th April so later than you! As it is chucking it down with snow at the moment in most high resorts I don't think you will have a problem. smile

swearbyit Wed 08-Mar-17 21:21:08

That's great news, thanks everyone, seems there are more options than I expected. I was thinking many of those resorts would have finished for the season, but relieved to hear otherwise! Even being able to start trawling through accommodation options is lifting my mood! Bring on Easter!

carabos Wed 08-Mar-17 21:27:13

We're in St Anton right now and we're expecting more than 70cms of snow in the next 24 hrs. It's snowed every day since we arrived and forecast is good for a while yet. If this does keep up then there will be decent skiing into April. It's the same pretty much everywhere across the Alps at the moment.

fluffiphlox Wed 08-Mar-17 21:28:49

Mammoth in California.

arggghparanoidalready Mon 13-Mar-17 09:26:59

We're also off to Val Thorens on 15th April - they almost always close a couple of weeks after that so not worried about snow. The resort is at 2,300m.

swearbyit Mon 13-Mar-17 20:48:18

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful to have recommendations of where is open for skiing firmly into April - bring it on!

drspouse Thu 13-Apr-17 02:41:19

Following for next year, we've got the choice of a week off school in early Jan, or 1st April.
We like Esprit so are considering their higher French resorts (we like St Anton but I have done all their cross country twice - that's not all I do but I like a bit of variety), or Norway (which will probably be rammed as the Norwegians like Easter skiing).

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 19-May-17 12:17:23

We are going back to Cervinia Easter (2019!). It's really late that year and having done a few weeks at Easter, Cervinia was excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now