Talk

Advanced search

protection

(14 Posts)
tinytemper66 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:29:19

Whilst skiing last year my lower legs were sore from the boots, despite padded socks etc. When a colleague pulled my boot off at the end of the day, some of the skin was pulled away and I had a nasty graze left on my leg. This meant that I was unable to ski again as I couldn`t stand the pain from the pressure of the boot. I was also told no y the instructor as I was unable to put my full weight on the ski.
So what I would like to know is if there are products I could use to put on my lower leg in the front to prevent soreness?

celtiethree Sun 26-Feb-17 10:34:34

Did u hire boots or have your own? Best thing is boots that are fitted really well. Did you only have socks or try and pad out with leggings?? Single pair of really good socks is best, anything else can cause wrinkled and rubbing making the situation worse.

LIZS Sun 26-Feb-17 10:36:28

I think you can get gel patches but it may be that padded socks were the issue and you couldn't fasten the boot evenly putting too much pressure on that area. Some people recommend 2 pairs of socks but the friction and sweating can create blisters.

tinytemper66 Sun 26-Feb-17 10:46:26

I hired boots as I have only skied once before [part of schol trip] and wouldn't really be worth buying own as may never go again. I think I am just worried about the skin being thin n that area anyway and the skin being pulled away had me worried. It may never happen again but want to be prepared.

Thanks for replying.

GavelRavel Sun 26-Feb-17 10:49:51

change boots! This shouldn't happen. I have wide calf's and sometimes the hire boots give me a blister on the first day. whenever this happens, I go back to the hire shop the first evening and get different boots. it has sorted the problem every time. I wear one pair of new good quality non padded socks. cheaper ones wrinkle up and .Ake it worse.

for this year id buy a few pairs of new, non padded socks and make sure the hire shop give you a choice of boots.

tinytemper66 Sun 26-Feb-17 11:59:34

Sadly this happened on the first day and the graze was too painful to put on another boot. I will be wiser this year and change boots if necessary. Thanks for replying.

GavelRavel Sun 26-Feb-17 15:58:25

yeah and if they're really uncomfortable in the hire shop don't be afraid to ask to try another pair. another tip is to pay a little bit more for one up from the basic package as they tend to be newer, nicer boots.

if it's agony in the shop it's going to cause a problem so ask them to let you try a different style. This year my boots were ok, not great, last year in a different resort they fitted like a glove and it was literally like wearing comfy trainers, I kid you not. It can be done. don't accept the first pair of they hurt.

celtiethree Sun 26-Feb-17 17:08:57

Also don't make the mistake of trying to loosen the boots. Tighter is better to eliminate shin bang.

Artandco Sun 26-Feb-17 17:13:18

I don't think they sell a product, it's just your boots defiantly didn't fit.
If you wear normal shoes that don't fit you get a blister also

I usually have thermals to ankles, then socks pulled up and over them so two layers on lower legs

Ski boots really do need to be fitted well. I know hiring many do to trial skiing, but almost everyone says they don't learn to ski properly until they buy own boots

trixymalixy Sun 26-Feb-17 21:24:08

The padded socks may have been the problem!! Were they proper ski socks?

You're better with thin socks and make sure there are no wrinkles in them and that there's nothing tucked into your boots.

tinytemper66 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:45:41

I had socks and long johns on....it was -30 on the first day; very cold weather for them. Had to stop skiing at one point as instructors said it was too cold![American temp]
Thanks for your help folks!

trixymalixy Mon 27-Feb-17 17:52:40

Were they proper shaped ski socks? I see folk recommending wearing hiking socks or wearing two pairs of socks on here sometimes and that's a sure fire way to end up with bruising and ruining your ski holiday. Ski tubes are useless as well. Buy proper technical ski socks. They don't have to be expensive. Decathlon do some quite cheaply.

Algebraic Mon 27-Feb-17 18:20:21

This is shin bang, it happens when the boot is too loose or there is too much sock between boot and leg. You need a better fitting boot, if you have a wide calf (like me) try boots designed specifically for this, I think Technica do some. It won't work just doing a regular boot up on a looser setting. Invest in a decent ski sock that comes up above the boot, is thin and breathable but appropriate for temperature. I still only wore one sock skiing in Canada at -28. Double socking is a recipe for shin bang. It's a toughie, I always seem to get it a tiny bit on one leg!
I wonder about your ski position also, are you making sure your shins are always touching the fronts of your boots and your knees are bent enough?

tinytemper66 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:03:07

I am a crap skier in that I am so nervous I end up forgetting about technique. Hopefully with better socks and no colleague pulling my boot off I may survive. Teaching me to ski however ....I feel sorry for the instructor. The first time I ever went I spent the whole time asking for him to save me! Thanks to all of you who responded. You have been helpful xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now