Talk

Advanced search

French Alps - which week is busiest in Feb 2017?

(4 Posts)
shaggedthruahedgebackwards Thu 09-Feb-17 18:49:43

UK half term seems to be split this year with half the country off Sat 11th for a week and the remainder off Sat 18th for a week

Does anyone know which of these weeks is likely to be busiest with French families skiing in the Alps?

I've Googled and it seems that the French half term hols are staggered but having been once before in the week that clashed with the majority of French families I would prefer to know in advance if it is going to be horrific in terms of queues for the lifts and gondolas

ChilliMum Thu 09-Feb-17 18:54:27

The next 2 weeks will be the busiest as the zones overlap from the 11th to 27th
You can see on the website vacances-scolaires.education/

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Thu 09-Feb-17 19:04:06

Thanks Chilli

Yes I figures that next 2 weeks will be busy but I have no knowledge about the different zones and whether a majority of French families who ski come from a particular geographical area of whether they are equally spread

I suppose I am hoping for someone to say that next week will be far worse (coz we are going on the 18th!). Realistically I know the pistes will probably be heaving for both of the half term weeks!

thatdearoctopus Thu 09-Feb-17 22:22:21

We've skiied in France every year at half term for the last 11 years or so. We have to, as dh and I (plus the friends we go with) are all mostly teachers.
I've never been able to discern any noticeable difference between the three weeks or so that the French schools use. Sure, it's busy, but the upside of that is that there is a nice buzz of activity, and lots of events laid on. The downside would be the lift queues, but if you time your morning and after-lunch routine to avoid the ski-school rush, and head up to the top of the mountain, it's fine - and I HATE queuing! (who doesn't?)

The biggest headache is the huge price =-hike for everything (flights/accommodation). That said, it's the highlight of my year. It gives me a reason to get up in the morning in January, with the snowy mountains to look forward to in February.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now