Talk

Advanced search

Single parent skiing

(22 Posts)
Sleepinghooty Mon 06-Feb-17 18:37:00

Thinking of taking 2 dc skiing this Easter on my own. They are 8 and 10 and have never skied. I have not skied for 25 years! Am I crazy? Any tips?

PossumInAPearTree Mon 06-Feb-17 18:53:22

Mark warner or Esprit. grin

Have fun.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 06-Feb-17 20:44:42

My friend takes hers 7 & 5, not mad at all.

I wouldn't worry about Mark Warner or esprit myself, I'd just make sure you have ski lessons booked for them AM and be prepared to hit the nursery slopes in the PM.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 06-Feb-17 20:45:18

Cervinia is high and private lessons are much much cheaper. Might be worth a look.

PoohBearsHole Mon 06-Feb-17 20:47:15

Esprit were great with a single friend

boobyooby Mon 06-Feb-17 20:47:33

Club Med would be a good idea too ... lots of single friends take their children with them. They also do Cervinia which is a great resort.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 06-Feb-17 20:49:38

Funnily enough, club med cervinia is where my friend is going this year.

Zorra Mon 06-Feb-17 20:58:31

I just booked with Espirit as they have single parent rooms where you get free child places etc which usually require two paying adults. It worked out pretty bargainous because of that. They also have babysitting /listening services etc so you can enjoy some peaceful evening time! We're going in January, my kids are 4 and 7 and haven't skied; I went once 20 years ago. I'm really really excited!!

ninenicknames Mon 06-Feb-17 21:01:12

Mark warner! Defo not crazy

Sleepinghooty Tue 07-Feb-17 09:41:11

Thanks everyone. Do you really think I need to do an all inclusive Mark Warner type thing? DC are really not keen on childcare / entertainment type activities and won't use them. So it seems quite expensive if you're not using it all - but I am feeling a bit nervous about doing it completely independently so might be worth it just so it's all organised for me

cestlavielife Tue 07-Feb-17 17:41:53

I am going at Easter me and two dd - one skies already so will go intermediate lessons plus extra sessions in the afternoon. , the other will do beginners like me - (and shopping cafes easy stuff in pm) to Avoriaz self catering at a P&V apartment with Inghams - includes flight + transfers etc....booked with igluski.

igluski also have the whole range of catered options too - I found them helpful they do all the diff operators so easy to get a comparison.

cestlavielife Tue 07-Feb-17 17:44:34

i think go for a ski in ski out like avoriaz as you dont want to be getting on off ski transfers to get to lessons... .... call igluski or direct to crystal etc

boobyooby Wed 08-Feb-17 14:02:52

Club med price include ski lift passes, lessons as well as AI so we've always found them good value - kids can dip in and out of club as you want so don't need to be in the club except for lessons of you like!

mycavitiesareempty Fri 17-Feb-17 19:23:19

Doing it yourself with a bit of research and ski in and out is always going to be better value than with a package. Make sure you book somewhere with a decent supermarket and all essential services within 200 m or so, though. Also somewhere with cheap transfers if not driving.

Am not a SP but I would not hesitate to take my two on my own if DH was incapacitated for some reason :D

AllTheLight Fri 17-Feb-17 19:25:48

I'd suggest taking them to a dry ski slope before you book. Some kids love skiing but others aren't keen, and it's an expensive holiday if one of you isn't enjoying it!

Sleepinghooty Mon 20-Feb-17 13:43:15

Thanks everyone. We're off the first week of the Easter holidays - looking forward to it now. AllTheLight - thanks for the tip. They have been dry slope skiing before and are both very sporty and took to it quite quickly. So fingers crossed we'll be fine!

TheApprentice Mon 20-Feb-17 13:51:12

My dh is just back from taking our 2 ds skiing on his own. I had to work and am not keen on skiing anyhow. They all had a fab time and he said that there were loads of single parents doing it. Mainly mums! They were in a 3 bed room. They all skied together in the morning and then the boys had lessons in the afternoon. They went with Crystal.

therealpippi Tue 28-Feb-17 23:25:32

Sleeping, I just got back from a week skiing with two dc the same age as yours. It was the best hol ever. No package deal. Ryanair flights, car hire, b&b and ski school. Their ski school matched mine in terms of timetable and on our free aft we skiied together. I met nice people in my group and went to fab slopes.
Swimming pool, hot choc a stroll in the village and dinner in the evening, tv and books before bed. No meed for any extra entertainment in my op.

It was fab. Dc could even walk from accom to ski school on their own and had a great time. We are going again. Forever and ever.

Oh and I had not skiied for 23 years. It all comes back but be prepared for the trauma when the hol is finished. It took me a week to recover.

taptonaria27 Sun 05-Mar-17 13:54:17

I'm wondering about this too, am not a single parent but DH does not ski and Was bored silly when we went this year. I don't need lessons so I'm a bit worried about what I'd do while kids are in theirs. I don't really want to ski in my own, I need a social sort of group. Any recommendations or advice please?

nightswimming1 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:04:47

My husband has done groups before with names like "steep and deep" although he generally moans about the skiing ability and others' propensity to faff around and be late (maybe you are more forgiving wink).
Depends on your budget as some companies run their own ski guiding which is amazing and very sociable but they tend to be at the pricier end.

nightswimming1 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:06:14

Also ski club of GB have guides in some resorts (snow heads forum is a fantastic resource and has a busy and enthusiastic board so worth a Q there if you don't get the right answer here).

ohgoshIdontknow Tue 11-Apr-17 20:23:24

How was it OP?

We're just back from a week with our DC and it was absolutely fantastic. We went with Crystal and they were great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now