Talk

Advanced search

Helmet

(13 Posts)
WelshMoth Sat 04-Feb-17 20:21:28

I've never worn a ski helmet but I'm feeling that I should this year.

What do I wear under the helmet? Particularly on cold ski days?!

How do I keep my ears warm?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 04-Feb-17 20:24:00

Yes you should wear a helmet my next door neighbour died in a skiing accident she would have survived if she had a helmet on. I would probably wear a thin ish hat that goes over your ears or those wide head band things that cover your ears but have no top bit (someone must be able to explain that better!)

LIZS Sat 04-Feb-17 20:25:53

They are actually very warm but you wear an earband as long as the helmet fit remains snug . A neck gaiter can bridge the gap.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 04-Feb-17 21:08:35

The helmet should have ear flaps. As LIZS says, they are warm. It should fit comfortably without needing anything underneath. For bad weather days, a snood should cover your face and neck and if really cold, you could use a very thin balaclava though in 5 years skiing every weekend in the winter in the French alps, I have only worn one once. If it is that cold, find a warm restaurant!

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 04-Feb-17 21:29:22

Generally I don't need anything underneath my helmet, but I do have a thin Helly Hansen hat for cold days.

This year it was so cold that I wore a windproof balaclava (also very thin).

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 04-Feb-17 22:08:23

I have a balaclava for when it's really cold (-25 at Xmas was a tad fresh). My helmet has ear flaps with padding though so most of the time my helmet keeps me warmer than any hat would.

Good choice though. My friend fell on a flat section last year and smacked her head so hard she was concussed. Without a helmet I dread to think what she would have done to herself.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 04-Feb-17 22:09:44

Take a hat in your ruck sack though, helmet hair is not the best look at lunch grin

OSETmum Sat 04-Feb-17 22:36:15

Ds has a fleecy snood with a very thin hat attached. It works nicely as it keeps him warm without adding bulk under his helmet. Me and dh just wear our helmets on their own.

trixymalixy Mon 06-Feb-17 10:06:26

I wear my Buff as a snood under my helmet when it's cold.

Misericord Sat 11-Feb-17 21:54:12

To jump on this: any helmet make recommendations?

trixymalixy Sun 12-Feb-17 08:36:51

Get one that is adjustable in size so you can fit another layer under it when it's cold. Also get one with easy opening vents. DH's you have to take off and unfold bits inside which is a pita.

I like my salomon helmet.

carabos Sun 12-Feb-17 08:42:55

Like trixy I wear a buff under my helmet when it's very cold. Last month in Saas Fee it was minus 30 at the top so it was really needed, but next month in St Anton will be much lower and warmer so probably won't bother.

opinionatedfreak Sat 18-Feb-17 06:18:09

I have a Bern boarding helmet. It has a fleecy hat inside. I love it.

Only people I saw wearing this model this year were skiers - theboarders have obviously moved on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now