Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Take two children skiing and leave one at home?

(46 Posts)
fakenamefornow Sat 04-Feb-17 11:42:34

Would you?

Children are 9, 10 and 12. They have only been skiing once before, last year. Middle child didn't like it, even though he could ski ok by the end of the week, he say's he never wants to go again. The other two loved it and are desperate to go again. I promised him last year that if he was good, went to ski school everyday, if he didn't like it by the end of the week he didn't have to go ever again.

He would have to go stay with granny, which he wouldn't be thrilled about. and no, we can't afford to then take him a a special holiday afterwards.

What would you do?

ImperialBlether Sat 04-Feb-17 11:43:35

I'd be really pissed off if I was him!

AuntieStella Sat 04-Feb-17 11:45:45

Can you find anything else for him to do, other than going to granny's?

Maybe a residential course, or staying with a different relative or close friend. Because if you can find something he's happy about, then you can leave him. Bit iffy otherwise. Unless he'd be happy on a promise of something special focussed on him later in the year.

Reality16 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:46:07

I wouldn't, not because of the being left out thing, we often do different things with the kids. DH takes DD1 away for hobby related things, I will take DS and DD2 for a different hobby related weekend away etc BUT you seem to be talking about your one and only family holiday, in which case it's unfair to choose something that one child really dislikes. You should reach a compromise and find something more suited to all.

PovertyPain Sat 04-Feb-17 11:51:15

Why skiing? Can't you have a holiday, this year, that he will enjoy too? He will grow up thinking he's not as important as his siblings, if you always choose a holiday to suit his siblings, while he gets left at home.

fakenamefornow Sat 04-Feb-17 12:31:12

The other two children really, really want to go skiing again and say they don't want a summer holiday. Mum and dad want to ski and would also give up our summer holiday for this but are less bothered and would willingly do a summer holiday instead. We hoped he'd come round to the idea and give it another go.

We could take him and he just doesn't do any skiing but I think we'd struggle to fill up a week with fun things for him to do in a ski resort.

ImperialBlether Sat 04-Feb-17 12:54:01

So basically he didn't like his last holiday and now he's not going to like his next, either?

celtiethree Sat 04-Feb-17 13:01:59

I'd be pissed off if I were the other two. Does he like ice skating, swimming? Did u try snowboarding or only skiing? Are there other activities like zip lining?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 04-Feb-17 16:13:42

Put him up for adoption, it's the only solution sort of joking

We have a passion for skiing and if one of my DD's hated it, I'm not sure what we'd do. Unfortunately you made a bit of a rash promise and I think you have to deliver. I think a PGL holiday for him might be a good option, could you recruit a friend to go with him? Surely you save a lot with him not going with passes and ski hire, lessons etc.

I would however go. It might encourage him to try again. It might upset him and then long term you're facing a compromise. I think I'd be finding some friends for me and DH to go with independently.

CherieBabySpliffUp Sat 04-Feb-17 16:16:43

Have you actually asked him what he would want to do? hmm

LIZS Sat 04-Feb-17 16:18:52

Take him along. Skischool may run alternative activities if you choose the right resort or kidshotel and kinderhotels offer their own programme. You may have to accept that one of you has to ski for just half a day. Otherwise hire a nanny to supervise him.

ClashCityRocker Sat 04-Feb-17 16:23:02

Rotate? Summer holiday one year, skiing the next?

GooseFriend Sat 04-Feb-17 16:23:13

He's really young to be dumped on a 'not-a-holiday' with granny whilst you lavish the others with basically the most luxury type holiday you could. I find it really surprising you'd consider this. Pick something you all like - isn't the main point of a holiday to spend time together?

GooseFriend Sat 04-Feb-17 16:24:47

Equally I think he's too young to dictate the family holiday. The adults here need to stop behaving like this is someh tricky and out of their hands. You're the adults you decide don't let him dictate and don't scapegoat him if you all end up doing something else

2017willbeawesome Sat 04-Feb-17 16:30:38

As LIZ said find a hotel with a kids club/activities. Austria is pretty good, St Johann is fab and has tobogganing too smile

fuzzyfozzy Sat 04-Feb-17 16:33:21

I'd offer him a few options
Gran
Go with you and not ski
Go with you and snowboard/learn a new skill
Then it's up to him. Obviously emphasising how much you want him to come.

eurochick Sat 04-Feb-17 16:33:29

Can't you go somewhere that has a lot of non skiing stuff to do and make sure you spend a chunk of time doing that? Swimming, dog sledging, ice skating, snow shoeing, etc.

bigTillyMint Sat 04-Feb-17 16:36:29

Have you just come back and are thinking about next year, or is it for this year?

What did he not like about the hol?

ClashCityRocker Sat 04-Feb-17 16:41:09

How much time do you spend on the slopes? I'm just thinking it will be pretty miserable for him if you're all going to be going off together on your own and leaving him behind all day - at ten, he may be too young to do a lot of stuff on his own. I've never been on a ski holiday thou so don't know how they work.

If you only went last year and want to go again this year, is this going to be a regular annual thing?

Floralnomad Sat 04-Feb-17 16:41:28

I think its fair to say that you will ski every other holiday and he either skis , does other stuff in the resort or stays home choice is his . You can't have 1 family member dictating what everyone else does for every holiday , but equally you can't expect 1 family member have to spend every holiday doing something they don't like .

ClashCityRocker Sat 04-Feb-17 16:44:10

Yeah I think florals solution works best and is fairest.

tovelitime Sat 04-Feb-17 16:46:36

I've a friend who does this. One of her children detests skiing whilst the rest of them love it. She gets their grandfather to come and stay for a week and leaves the child who doesn't ski. Said child is perfectly happy with this arrangement. Having said that, it's not their only holiday.

fakenamefornow Sat 04-Feb-17 17:26:35

You may have to accept that one of you has to ski for just half a day.

This is what we expected if we did go and took him with us.

fakenamefornow Sat 04-Feb-17 17:30:27

Unfortunately you made a bit of a rash promise

Yes I did but I was so convinced he'd love it it didn't seem rash at the time. I don't think I've met anyone who's been skiing and didn't like it.

I think a good solution would be if we could go with one of his friends, I bet they would be able to encourage him to like skiing. I don't think this is possible though.

Floralnomad Sat 04-Feb-17 17:34:58

I went skiing and didn't like it , there are plenty of us about .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now