Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Deciphering ski maps

(15 Posts)
WelshMoth Sat 04-Feb-17 10:12:19

Not sure if this has been done, but I've always just followed the group like a sheep blushand reading the maps sends my brain to sleep. Any hints and tips?! I'm especially stressing because I'm the only experienced skier and my family won't always be in lessons!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 04-Feb-17 11:30:30

There was a previous thread on this, not too long ago. A few good tips on there so worth looking back. I'm going to sound a bit trite, but it's just like snakes and ladders. The lifts are the ladders and the runs are the snakes. Pick the snake colour you fancy, check the name and follow the signs. It's worth knowing the area in the resort it's heading towards eg 'les coches' as signs will often have the town/area destination that it leads towards as well or even instead of the run name. I would have a good look the night before so you have a vague plan.

I have never seen a lift that will only have a black run off it without LOTS of warning signs (if that's an issue). If you have 'Blue'' only skiers, just check before you get on as you can't guarantee there is always an easy out.

Lists have names too so worth noting as they can be on signs.

If runs are in another direction than 'down' the page, they will have arrows on it to show this.

I am always the map reader for our group, but it's quite easy really. Honest!

I find the hardest bit is ensuring any front runners read the signs and don't turn the wrong way or overshoot. Ensure everyone stops at junctions, or your plan won't be worth jack!

WelshMoth Sat 04-Feb-17 19:15:23

dontcall that's really helpful. Thank you.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 04-Feb-17 22:36:22

Where are you going welsh?

WelshMoth Sat 04-Feb-17 23:40:27

Leaving on the 18th for a week.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 05-Feb-17 11:52:11

Where though, where! I like to ooh and ahh at everyone's holiday grin

thatdearoctopus Sun 05-Feb-17 11:59:46

Not sure how this will help but I have noticed different kinds of piste maps - some of really small-scale and impossible to decipher, even with glasses and if you know the resort and what you're doing.
Others are larger-scale and relatively easier to read. If you find one of those, keep it forever!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 05-Feb-17 12:09:56

I like this idea, lens cleaner cloth with the map printed on it. Saves the crushed map situation. viraliq.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/14.-Cate-Blanchett.jpg

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 05-Feb-17 12:10:48

Er, not sure what happened there! wipe-out.eu/product-tag/france/

WelshMoth Sun 05-Feb-17 12:57:05

grindontcall

Off to Courchevel, staying in Moriond. Canny wait.

WelshMoth Sun 05-Feb-17 13:04:43

I'm certain DH would love his piste map on Cate Blanchett grin

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 05-Feb-17 13:04:54

Oh yes that gets an oooh for certain grin. It's dumping with snow there at the moment (DH is there on a lads trip). God I love skiing talking about skiing, buying kit, anything really

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 05-Feb-17 13:05:44

Ha yes indeed grin I'll blame the DC

WelshMoth Sun 05-Feb-17 13:22:30

I'd love to but a little place out there. I'd bloody love a good season skiing. Love it.

bluetongue Sun 05-Feb-17 17:07:16

Courchevel and the 3 Valleys in general are really well sign posted. You'll be fine.

Enjoy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now