Talk

Advanced search

Courcheval 1650 to 1850

(17 Posts)
WelshMoth Sat 04-Feb-17 09:34:29

How easy is it to get from one to other? We're staying in 1650 and can only find lessons in 1850. What lift passes would we need? Can we get there by bus? Can it be skied back?

WellWoman Sat 04-Feb-17 18:20:59

You can get a free bus up to 1850 - hop off at La Croisette and then yomp up through the main tourist centre to get to the place where all the ski schools meet. The buses are very crowded by the time they reach 1650, as they come up through the other lower villages in the resort first.

You can also ski across but it will take at least 20 minutes to get from 1650 lifts to the rendezvous-vous in 1850 - for good skiers with no big queues. Longer for beginners or with delays - certainly wouldn't work for 9 or 9 30 classes. We've been in your situation and used the bus. You all get a bit hot and bothered squashing on, and lugging stuff up the steps at 1850, but it's fine.

WellWoman Sat 04-Feb-17 18:22:42

By the way, thinking about it, 20 minutes would be really caning it, cou,d easily be twice as long or more.

WelshMoth Sat 04-Feb-17 19:11:52

Thanks Wellwoman. I've managed to bag lessons with a 1:00 start so we can avoid the buses now.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Sat 04-Feb-17 19:16:40

We are just back from 1650. There are lessons that start in 1650 with New Generation.

As an aside, I would recommend booking ski hire online in advance rather than in resort. Some of our group arranged when in resort and paid almost double what we did online with Ski Republic.

Have a great trip!

iremembericod Sat 04-Feb-17 19:20:41

We got lessons at 1650

tourbillon Sun 05-Feb-17 14:40:45

New Gen are fabulous.

WelshMoth Sun 05-Feb-17 15:31:22

New Gen all booked up I'm afraid.
Going with Magic in 1850. Have made a provisional booking and just waiting for them to get back to me now.

WelshMoth Sun 05-Feb-17 17:45:05

Actually, this is a test for all you hardcore 1850 enthusiasts.

Plot me a route from 1650 to 1850. As many Greens as possible please.

Can it be done with time on our side?

nightswimming1 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:27:27

Ariondaz Gondola to Bel Air (great lunch place later on!)
Petite Bosse (green) then Gravelles (blue) to Prameruel
Aiguille du Fruit chair, then Altiport (blue) down:
Either To top of Jardin Alpin (green ) and down to rond point 1850
Or down to Pralong chair, up and do some of those lovely blues from there.
Creux is a beautiful run if you can do the steep first section, then a big motorway piste
Much quicker to cross via Roc Mugnier- this was the first red I ever skied and it is icy and heavily travelled so avoid if you're a bit nervous.
I apologise for any errors as it's been a few years. I would love to gin back! My favourite resort; so much for everyone.

nightswimming1 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:31:06

By the way if you want to ask some real experts I recommend snowheads forum. They are absolutely lovely and so helpful.

WelshMoth Sun 05-Feb-17 21:15:54

night I doff my bobble hat to you. That's pretty awesome advice!

DD's lessons are in 1850 and I'm considering skiing her over. The blues may be a challenge but if we start early....

Again - pretty impressive advice there. Thank you brew

LadyPenelopeCantDance Mon 06-Feb-17 06:42:49

The runs in 1650 are fantastic first thing in the morning as it is so quiet and not many people have skied on the newly bashed pistes.

I second what night says about the Creux being a nice run, but this is only the case in the morning. I would avoid this in the afternoon with non experienced skiers as it gets very heavy traffic and the snow by the afternoon is really cut up. It used to be a red and they downgraded it to a blue for some reason.

Hope you have a great time!

WelshMoth Mon 06-Feb-17 19:01:40

Thanks -*LadyP*. I'll make a note of that.

TrickyD Sat 11-Feb-17 09:39:05

Why can't you use ESF Moriond in 1650? I assumed from your post that they were no longer operating there, but just looked at their website and there seems to be no problem. I know the ESF are not everyone's first choice but our DGCs were fine with them and much easier than the traipse from and to 1850

WelshMoth Sat 11-Feb-17 09:58:23

ESF wanted the whole week of booking whereas Magic offered 3 afternoon sessions. I wanted a few days with the DD's where we could ski and explore without clock watching.

TrickyD Sat 11-Feb-17 13:26:22

Oh, OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now