Talk

Advanced search

4 adult ski holiday 2018

(17 Posts)
AlwaysNeverOnTime Thu 02-Feb-17 10:20:07

Hi DH and I plus two friends are hoping to go skiing in 2018 child free. 3 of us have skiied before, 1 hasn't but we all want to have lessons.

None of us have had to book a ski holiday before so could anyone help us with the basics please? As in good resorts for begginers and best company to book through ect. I think we are looking at France. Although open to other countries too. And best time of year to go (out of school holidays)

How much would you expect it to cost with lessons and ski hire ect?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 02-Feb-17 17:13:08

Best time is 4th March IMO ! Not too cold, not too warm, good snow, height won't matter overly, the world is your piste.

I think a common English favoured resort is a good idea so the instructors speak good English.

Mourzine is a favourite
I learnt in La Tour in Chamonix (both quite 'English')

I'm sure other people will recommend other great places.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Fri 03-Feb-17 06:10:47

Okay so early march. That's a great starting point thank you smile

I'll look up both of the places you've recommended, thanks for your help!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 04-Feb-17 11:18:30

Chamonix is quite a spread out resort so buses are needed, but la Tour is nice and easy, but some of the other ares are a bit more aggressive in their grading.

If you want another option, La Plagne has lots of cruisey Blues. Oxygen is a good ski school too. It's a longer transfer, but 4 adults I'm sure won't argue and moan all the way and then vomit on the switchbacks into resort!

We're going to La Plagne on a girls trip and we picked it because it's huge (linked to Les Arc) and caters for all skill levels. It's my 3rd trip there and I'm quite happy to go back.

Ineededtonamechange Sat 04-Feb-17 11:32:33

We love La Tania and courchevel 1650, both part of the three valleys... both quite English resorts (courchevel 1550 less accessible 1850 more russian/expensive)

Agree with early March.

Ineededtonamechange Sat 04-Feb-17 11:35:33

New generation ski school are very good. Very patient instructors, always very positive. One got me to the point where I was going down reds happily which quite frankly was a miracle

SwearyGodmother Sat 04-Feb-17 17:35:39

I wouldn't go to France in early March as they're still on their half terms there and the slopes get really busy. If you look on Snowheads forum they have a spreadsheet with all the European holidays on so you can book around them. We are childfree and tend to go in mid/late January and mid March.

Austria and Italy are generally cheaper than France, and Italy is particularly beginner friendly. The tirolean food is great too - and much better than you get on the mountain in France.

To be honest you'd be best to get over to snowheads and ask them there - though be warned they make AIBU look soft and fluffy smile

Toomanycats99 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:03:12

I've been skiing a few times. (About 10 years ago!) I went to several ones and the one that stuck out for me cervinia (if that's how it's spelt). I am not a furious get as far in a Day as I can skier I like to ski leisurely taking in scenery and having a hot chocolate and I found that really nice for beginners!

AlwaysNeverOnTime Sun 05-Feb-17 21:00:16

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm looking at sauze d'oulx has anyone been here before?

flashheartscanoe Mon 06-Feb-17 09:01:33

I have been to sauze - it was nice. I really liked the old town and there were some good restaurants and lively bars. It's a proper town as opposed to just a ski station which was good. We stayed near the lift that goes up from the town. There's another a little further out that needs a bus. Its only an hour from Turin so we were on the slopes the first afternoon. The skiing can be on the tricky side for beginners. Costings- easyjet flights to Turin, less than £100. Huge amazing Apartment from air bnb £700 for 5 of us. Car hire £90. Lessons are much cheaper than elsewhere. If you want a hotel the Stella alpina has a good reputation and has a brilliant location.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Mon 06-Feb-17 10:22:16

Thanks flash that was really helpful. When did you go? Would beginning of march be a good time?

flashheartscanoe Mon 06-Feb-17 18:48:12

There's a current thread on snow heads with up to date conditions and the guy from sauze online posts a video every Friday. As far as I know sauze has had the best snow anywhere in the Alps this year. Beginning of march will be ideal as the French resorts will be full as they are still on holiday then. The Italians aren't!
If you do go you can book lessons online- stress you want an English speaking instructor. Ours had none at all but we did book the day before. The best thing is you will be able to afford tons of private lessons as they are so cheap.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Mon 06-Feb-17 21:06:28

Thanks you've been so helpful! I was going to book through crystal ski, do you think it's worth booking lessons myself and not through crystal? Sorry for all the questions! I'm clueless. I will have a look on snowheads.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Mon 06-Feb-17 21:07:19

Oh and I've found a hotel near to the cotes lift. Is that a good location?

flashheartscanoe Mon 06-Feb-17 21:27:03

Great! How exciting. I'm off on Saturday to the dolomites so loving all things skiing.
Near the clotes lift is good - your beginner may need to get a bus to the sportina lift at first as the lessons go from the top of that one.
You can easily compare lesson prices by looking up the prices online. Booking through crystal may mean that you're with others from the hotel.
Do look at snow heads, there's a trip report from sauze on the front page at the moment as well as an ongoing thread. Have fun!

AlwaysNeverOnTime Tue 07-Feb-17 19:53:51

Have a lovely time skiing and thanks again for all your help!

purpledebs Tue 28-Feb-17 20:35:45

My top tip would be using a British ski school and NOT a local instructor that speaks English. NewGen are excellent . Avoid UK and French school holidays by checking online. Otherwise late Feb/early March is good.
Aim for a resort with easy slope access. You do not want to be hiking on/off buses if you can help it. Many chalet companies now offer chauffeur services included such as VIP chalets.
Aim for snow sure resorts such as 3 valleys, Tignes, Les 2 Alpes and Portes Soleil. But if you are on a budget Andorra gets great reviews doe beginners and quality instruction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now