Talk

Advanced search

Skiing on my own

(12 Posts)
SoOverItNow Mon 30-Jan-17 21:43:54

Taking kids on ski weekend to introduce them to the slopes next month. They both are under 9. They've had couple of dry slope lessons and are doing ski school two full days.

Dh has skied a couple of times and wants a one to one lesson. I've skiied for years on and off and happy to ski most runs but I'm not sure about unknown resort on my own.

The holiday us mostly girls kids but I would like to get some runs in for me too. Worried I'll feel lonely. The fun of skiing is really laughs with your mates. Last year did loads if skiing on a girlie holiday.

Wwyd? Don't really need lesson but how will I find ski buddies for two dates in a resort I've never been to?

Any ideas?

museumum Mon 30-Jan-17 21:47:06

I'd put my iPod on and just enjoy the sun and fresh air

smirched Mon 30-Jan-17 21:53:19

Do the advanced ESF course (or similar) that's what I do, it's not really much in the way of tuition, they more act as mountain guides and take you out to more remote runs etc. You get to chat with others k the group etc.

celeryisnotasuperfood Mon 30-Jan-17 21:57:53

Which resort will you be in? There are some that have skiclub of great Britain leaders - you can ski with them one day for free without needing to join the club.
Or check out ski forums like snowheads - see if anyone else is about at the same time.
But sometimes it's just great to be out on your own - yes it's safer to stick to marked runs and let folks know when to expect you.
We are heading out this weekend - can't wait!

SoOverItNow Mon 30-Jan-17 21:59:38

Hopefully there will be sun, and lots of fresh air 😀 I'd like to ski too.

ESF smirched? Would they do this or similar in Austria?

SoOverItNow Mon 30-Jan-17 22:00:54

Good idea. Thanks. I'll check out skiclub website. It's just a small resort, Filzmoos.

celeryisnotasuperfood Mon 30-Jan-17 22:03:39

I'm pretty sure that's not got a skiclub leader... but check out snowheads website - got a funny feeling I've come across that resort because someone on there either lives there or is a big fan...

Eastpoint Mon 30-Jan-17 22:05:12

I used to go there as a child, first time was 1979.

SoOverItNow Mon 30-Jan-17 22:07:01

Thanks celery

smirched Mon 30-Jan-17 22:09:09

sorry ESF is Ecole Ski Francais, the French ski school lot, so they wouldn't be in Austria. I'm sure you could book an advance lesson with whatever ski schools operate at that resort, even just for the first morning to get your bearings.

SoOverItNow Mon 30-Jan-17 22:20:53

That's a good idea. I just need a guide for a morning really.

FadedRed Mon 30-Jan-17 22:37:18

Have you looked at the Ski Club of Great Brittain website? They often have in resort reps who organise ski touring. You would have to join SCGB, but they send you literature and they also have some discounts on ski related things, so could be worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now