Talk

Advanced search

anyone done a successful ski trip with own flights and air b'n'b?

(19 Posts)
Notnownornever Sun 22-Jan-17 08:11:08

We are beginners- kids never been and adults not been skiing for over ten years.

But we don't want a full week at half term which is proving impossible to do via a tour operator

But I can see loads of flights to Geneva and chalets on air bnb in places like
Morzine.

Can see ski passes on line I think and could presumably do ski hire and maybe ski school on line too?

Private transfer also looks doable?

It sort of seems too good to be true iyswim and I wonder if we are mad as we aren't hardened skiers with all the local knowledge.

What do you lot reckon?
Go for it or don't touch it?!

Sarahsea1 Sun 22-Jan-17 08:14:35

Totally doable but it may work out more expensive, mainly due to the transfer costs. Ski passes and classes can easily be arranged on site, ditto ski hire. Which element of the trip are you concerned about? The only slight reservation I would have would be the quality/reliability of the Air bnb.

WelshMoth Sun 22-Jan-17 13:52:51

Totally doable.
I've done the same and it's actually worked out cheaper. I've got an apartment through owners direct and its considerably cheaper and better quality than what we could find online.

I've also booked an estate car for the week and having an apartment means we can load up with food and be a bit more independent in the resort.

Ski hire is discounted online and the ski passes (as far as I'm aware) are a flat price anyway.

You may want to book ski school ASAP though. Places are snapped up quickly.

Laquila Sun 22-Jan-17 14:07:03

We did it with our own flights and an apartment via Holiday Lettings / it's true that what bumps it up is the transfer cost. We struggled to find anything (admittedly I left it quite late to book transfers...) from GVA to Les Gets and ended up with a very sloooow minibus that we had to wait bloody ages for. Other than that, it worked fine - I think we bought the passes on our first morning in the resort. You can probably buy them online in advance and pick them up on arrival. I'd try and get a private transfer if poss as you just don't know how many other people they'll be dropping off.

Laquila Sun 22-Jan-17 14:07:58

Ah yes, I booked ski school in and ace - all very easy by email.

Tokelau Sun 22-Jan-17 14:11:13

We haven't done Air b'n'b but we usually book our ski holidays independently. We book flights, hotel, and hire a car. We buy our ski passes and hire skis when we get there. We prefer it, as it gives us more freedom.

Notnownornever Sun 22-Jan-17 18:29:24

This is really helpful thank you

Any suggestions for ski school in morzine or resort tips?

Only thinking morzine as short transfer so open to other suggestions too

SwearyGodmother Sun 22-Jan-17 18:32:34

I'd be tempted to look at Austria Notnow - it's less popular with brits so won't have the same occupancy stuff with half term. You can fly to Innsbruck with many a budget operator from all over the UK and then get the train to most resorts in the Tirol (or near as damnit). It's cheaper when you're there too, and the food is better!

Sarahsea1 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:48:55

La Clusaz is near Geneva but does get very busy. Slightly lower than Morzine so you'd need to watch the snow reports. Evolution 2 is a very good ski school - they also do other activities/events. You don't need prior knowledge of any resort provided you all book in for lessons - Evo 2 are particularly good for children's classes and they'll probably be with other English speaking kids. But Sweary is right - French Alps are rammed at half term so prepare for lots of queueing for lifts.

MidLifeCrisis007 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:26:42

Look at Obergurgl. Perfect for families and easy transfer from Innsbruck.

About 1/3 as busy as the popular French resorts over half term and much better food!

Notnownornever Sun 22-Jan-17 23:33:06

Just looked at that midlife and agree it looks perfect but the flights are no good as don't go direct from our local airport

Open to al other suggestions tho!
Am really appreciating the help this far thanks all

flashheartscanoe Mon 23-Jan-17 22:04:04

We have done this every half term for the last 5 years. It's the only way it's affordable! This year I booked Ryanair to Venice as soon as the flights were released. We got an apartment off the internet and have hired a car for the 2.5 hour drive to the dolomites. Flights £100 each, car £40, apartment £1200. Hiring a car is key to keeping the costs down.
We go to a different resort each year and you don't need local knowledge at all! Just rock up and buy a lift pass. Beginners do need lessons but you can email the ski school, they all speak English.
This late in the day you might need to just search skyscanner for affordable flights and see if you can match them up with an apartment.
We did do air bnb in Italy one year- it was the most amazing place!

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 23-Jan-17 22:27:10

If you go to Morzine BASS are very good.

If don't mind a 15 minute drive, the ESF at the top of the Ardent Bubble lift (ESF Montriond) are excellent. Their instructors all seem to speak good English as they are used to teaching kids who are staying in Ardent with Family Ski Company.

Montriond is an easy drive up to Ardent where there is free parking and would probably be a fair bit cheaper than Morzine too but only 5 minutes drive.

mycavitiesareempty Sat 28-Jan-17 12:56:48

I would strongly recommend Italy over France at uk half term. You'll find it much easier to get lessons booked at this late notice plus many many Italian resorts have practically flat slopes smile Alpe di Siusi, Selva, and Madonna di Campiglio (staying near campo carlo magno) would be great. Cervinia has lots of easy slopes but will be busier. Would strongly recommend a car (prebooked with snow tyres and chains, both are essential). If a package, you could try Gressoney (Esprit) or Cortina d'ampezzo which is spread out and small but has the most fabulous beginner slopes ever at Lacedel/ Socrepes/ pocol. Italian ski teachers are in my experience much much kinder and gentler with young kids.

thatdearoctopus Sun 29-Jan-17 11:07:10

We organise our own trip every year. Works fine and is masses cheaper - which is a consideration as we have no choice but to go at peak times (teachers).
Not ever done it this late in the day, mind you, but if you're planning on flying on any day other than Sat 11th Feb (crazy prices to Geneva et al), that will make a huge saving. Pick a resort with a shorter transfer, or consider hiring a car.
You can pick lift passes to match the days you need, and in theory also for SkiSchool, although they'll almost certainly be fully booked up by now. We managed to get private lessons (for a group of us) quite last minute, but they were awkward times, although that's no bad thing at half term. The lift queues are massive at 9-9.30 and straight after lunch, due to lessons starting.
Never done air bnb for skiing, but the rest should be OK.

thatdearoctopus Sun 29-Jan-17 11:11:16

Or what about going to the Southern Alps? We flew to Nice one year (much cheaper than Geneva and the northern airports) and got the snow shuttle bus up to Isola 2000. It's about an hour and a half.
Was chatting to a woman on the chairlift there a couple of years ago, who has an apartment there and goes over mid-week for a few days and for long weekends all the time. Very do-able.

mycavitiesareempty Sun 29-Jan-17 11:39:33

Honestly: Italy. There won't be any queues. At least not in the resorts not usually populated by brits smile Many french resorts will be under the dual pressure of French zone B and C school holidays (this includes paris and marseilles) plus the deluge of british tourists.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Jan-17 22:20:28

Did exactly that over Christmas last year - flights to Geneva, hired a car, stayed in Airbnb. Booked skis, private lessons on line and bought ski passes when we got there. Was brilliant - went to Cervinia in Italy. Don't know how Christmas compares to Feb half term but we practically had the slopes to ourselves apart from the last couple of runs at the end of the day when everyone was heading down to the village.

Tigresswoods Mon 30-Jan-17 22:26:40

Sounds fine to me. I've done 2 years now (about to do third) with 3 other families. We all drive, book everything ourselves & even have a meal rota in our self catered chalet.

Works for us.

I never thought I'd drive to the Alps but actually it's a piece of piss. I do live I'm SE England though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now