Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for Italian ski schools for kids?

(8 Posts)
Alutek Sun 15-Jan-17 21:22:19

Hello. I'm considering a last minute scramble to organise a half term ski holiday for the family. Thinking of Italy for the first time as understand it's likely to be significantly less manic than France for that week. (That said, would love to know of any resorts in France - Maurienne valley? - that are quieter even when both Brits and Paris are on school break.) We're flexible about which resort we go to - happy to do a reasonable drive from the airport. Ski school is very important: DCs (8 and 10) have had mixed experiences with previous instructors so we're very keen to get it right this time. I realise we may not have much choice when booking so late in the day, but does anyone have an Italian ski school they'd like to rave to me about - or at least recommend. Thank you!

massistar Tue 17-Jan-17 13:43:34

Hi.. I've skiied a lot in Italy and love it.. the people are friendlier, the food is better (and cheaper), less crowded etc. But there isn't the same choice of ski schools as there is in the bigger French resorts. Typically, the ski school in most Italian resorts will be run by the Scuola Sci Italiana. We've had some great experiences (Alba di Canazei) and some not so good.. (Moena) so it can be down to luck. On the plus side, it's cheaper so private lessons for your 2 DC might be an options?

Buttercupsandaisies Tue 17-Jan-17 20:33:16

Have you thought of Andorra? It's currently rated on the top 20 resorts- tons of snow, tax free and the lift pass covers a huge area as all resorts are now linked and covered on the same pass. You can get cheap flights to Barcelona and their ski schools are rated one of the best as all English instructors. We are going Feb half term- family if four and got the entire holiday inc all ski extras for 3k

Alutek Wed 18-Jan-17 20:55:50

Thanks, massistar. That's a good point - I'll look into whether there is still availability for private lessons for the resorts that we think we're interested in. I can't help but be attracted to the idea of ski2's British ski school in Champoluc, but you have to be an accommodation client and there are other options on that front that are so much cheaper.

Buttercupsanddaisies, I've heard very positive things about Andorra. I'll check out whether there are still cheap flights going to Barcelona for half term. Is there a particular resort and ski school that you'd recommend?

Alutek Wed 18-Jan-17 20:56:04

Thanks, massistar. That's a good point - I'll look into whether there is still availability for private lessons for the resorts that we think we're interested in. I can't help but be attracted to the idea of ski2's British ski school in Champoluc, but you have to be an accommodation client and there are other options on that front that are so much cheaper.

Buttercupsanddaisies, I've heard very positive things about Andorra. I'll check out whether there are still cheap flights going to Barcelona for half term. Is there a particular resort and ski school that you'd recommend?

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 19-Jan-17 21:00:02

I'm not sure about resorts but we are heading to soldeu which is supposed to be the family resort,

Try soldeu.com for all ski school details - also very cheap. A private instructor was only £80 for 3 hours

mycavitiesareempty Fri 03-Feb-17 08:01:39

I second private lessons. We are putting our two in for 3 hours on 3 days and will ski with them the rest of the time. That's in cortina. The cost is similar to a week of ski school but they get one to two instruction and someone to pick them up when they fall!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 03-Feb-17 19:01:34

I'd agree, we hired an instructor for the week in Italy at the same cost of 4 kids group lessons in France. MUCH better. We were in Cervinia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now