Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help for newbie

(6 Posts)
ExitPursuedBySantaSpartacus Sun 08-Jan-17 17:01:18

Just wondering if 14th April is too late to go skiing?

I have family in Africa who have decided they fancy a skiing holiday but it would have to be during their Easter holidays. Looking at other threads I presume we would have to go high up in the Alps to have a chance of snow at that time of year.

Also, I have never booked a skiing holiday before so would appreciate some advice.

The group would consist of two adults who can ski but have not done so for a long time, two teenagers who have never skiied (sp?) one teenager who has skiied twice on school holidays (one week each time) and me who will not be skiing.

Do we book accommodation and then everything else separately? I think the two adults and my DD would be ok with one private lesson to find their ski legs but the other two teenagers would need a proper course?

Would love some advice on where to go and how best to arrange things.

Ta

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 08-Jan-17 17:23:48

It's pushing it IMO. I think some claim to be open, but what the quality of snow is like will depend on how the season goes. I'd book it only very last minute.

Buttercupsandaisies Sun 08-Jan-17 19:12:31

I'd go to Scandinavia at that time of year as loads of guaranteed snow there

TrickyD Sun 08-Jan-17 22:44:27

I agree with dontcall, not a good idea to book so late in advance. If you can't hang on and book at the last minute when you know if there is any snow, maybe follow Buttercup's advice and look at Scandinavia.

TheProblemOfSusan Mon 09-Jan-17 13:29:21

We went on the 9th to La Plagne last year and the snow was fine, we even got a nice new covering, but I don't think you could guarantee that - and I think it would be a bit miserable if the snow wasn't good because I guess they'd start closing loads of runs down and the open ones would get really claggy. Also, I think the start of each day would be really icy which I personally find hard.

Does it need to be Europe? Maybe Canada might still be open then?

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Mon 09-Jan-17 15:44:06

Thanks for the advice. It's all gone quiet on the African front so probably won't be happening.

Maybe next year....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now